Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dugernaut
Don't really care, but at least in OMNI without posts counting, I can measure a members commitment to supporting the other forums, and not just using OMNI as political venting vehicle.

Some of Omni's most prolific posters have less than 500 posts in any of the other forums, and they have been members for years.
Whaddaya know, I agree with you! This is a community of people who love travel. That is the glue that makes us a community. I'm really not interested in getting into political arguments with people who are just there to troll, while adding to their post counts and becoming evangelists, legends or whatever. Wanna be a legend? Contribute some information to the core of FT; which is the travel boards. Wanna be a troll? I guess we have to let you, but don't expect any "status" out of it.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up

I support this motion.

I look forward to becoming a FlyerTalk Evangelist in a few months by demonstrating my ability to count. ^^
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
Wanna be a legend? Contribute some information to the core of FT; which is the travel boards. Wanna be a troll? I guess we have to let you, but don't expect any "status" out of it.
Agree 100% and with other posters comments about not counting OMNI posts as part of a member's overall post count.

I've never really ventured into the OMNI forums, but after learning that people post 'counting' games (and taking a look for myself), I'm very surprised that anyone would want these to count towards their post counts and therefore perceived or actual status (expect perhaps the people that posted and contribute to these games). Having seen a few posters that I recognise near the top of such threads, my opinion of those individuals has definitely declined as a result.

Subtley, I think that everyone makes a judgement about a poster based on their count (I'm sure that this is especially true for new members) and if you can increase your profile by posting on such inane topics that contribute zero to the community (counting threads again) then I'd have to argue that this approach would seriously de-value post counts, making them nonsensical.

I recently locked horns with someone new to the BA board who was very clear in his opinion that 'post counts' count for nothing. I was strongly against that view at the time, however, if this goes ahead, I'd have to agree with him. In my opinion, counting OMNI posts would seriously devalue the posts of those individuals who contribute their time, knowledge and effort to the FT travel community.

I'm strongly against this motion.

Last edited by matthandy; Jul 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Personally, I don't care about post counts. I have been here long enough that I recognize posters and have met several. I knew of Dovster due to OMNI/PR and have met him. For me it was a great pleasure.

Now I have gotten out of hand on occasion in OMNI/PR but it really has something to contribute. It is the place where you hear a local news story before it hits national or international levels. Prop 8 is a perfect example. Because of OMNI/PR I was aware of it here when my colleagues and friends, who don't keep their heads in the sand, had no inkling of the maelstrom that was brewing in California.
This happens a lot and is what redeems OMNI/PR even though sometimes we want to destroy it due to our partisanship.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I dont really think they should be counted. Interesting that we exclude coupon connection because of its unique nature but on a travel board I would think OMNI is unique in its nature as well. If they are counted then I would really like to see the forums in two categories, travel and social and then in each persons profile see a percentage of their total posts in those two categories.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just say NO to post count.

Leave things as they are. If counts are allowed, there's going to be a run of useless drivel, more so than normal.

Dan
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dchristiva
No. OMNI is such a different world and isn't central to the mission of FT. I enjoy the discussions in those forums, but the post counts should reflect contribution to the "flyer" part of FlyerTalk.
Well said. ^
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Leave things as they are. If counts are allowed, there's going to be a run of useless drivel, more so than normal.
And what's so wrong with that?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

As a person who was directly instrumental in bringing the Lounge thread concept to FlyerTalk, I can tell you that “post counts” had nothing to do with the the decision to allow Lounge threads in non-OMNI forums on FlyerTalk...

...and I can tell you that there were a number of people who were originally against this concept, including Randy Petersen. Nevertheless, a trial period of the first official Lounge thread was approved and granted, and the rest is history — but, as I said, “post count” was never a consideration, a thought or a factor.

The Dovster may want to expound on the history of the Lounge thread concept. I do not feel compelled to do that here.

In the meantime, my position on this issue is that I really have no opinion either way, even though I launched one of the longest threads in the OMNI forum several years ago.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dchristiva
No. . . the post counts should reflect contribution to the "flyer" part of FlyerTalk.
I agree with this.

I guess.

But the bigger question to me is -- "reversing the prior decision on post counts in OMNI?" Really TalkBoard? That's what you got?

FlyerTalk now faces the first formidable competition in its history (Remember, Southwest was small once, too.) -- and this is what you are focused on?

You are the member-elected representatives of this place. And this is what you think the members are concerned about?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Let them count. But I have said it before, is there a mechanism for only allowing them to count once you have posted, for example, 100 times in non-OMNI threads. If not, just let them count.

Is this where you say yay/nay to this question anyway?
I agree with this viewpoint.
Although I would be happy to go ahead to allow OMNI posts to count if the really silly threads eg countdowns, next poster type ones, should be on a drivel thread where posts aren't counted. However, I do realise this would give mods more work.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:45 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You are the member-elected representatives of this place. And this is what you think the members are concerned about?
I couldn't say it better ^

Anyway, count the Omni posts or remove those from lounges but please do something before some of them have ulcers
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I say no to OMNI post counts and wouldn't mind seeing the Lounge Threads get moved to OMNI. Can't we just ask the mods to move the Lounge Threads to OMNI (I realize that TB cannot force this)? Perhaps create a new airline lounge sub-forum in OMNI?

Last edited by livious; Jul 27, 2011 at 4:42 am
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
FlyerTalk now faces the first formidable competition in its history (Remember, Southwest was small once, too.) -- and this is what you are focused on?
What are you referring to? (bolding mine)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
For those of you who want to see post counts kept "pure" to the mission of FT (of which I don't necessarily disagree), do you have any idea just how much post counts have been inflated by:

Old Omni posts counting
Contest threads
Lounge threads

If we want to keep counts pure, then I would be all for:

-removing old Omni posts from counts
-moving the contest and lounge threads to Omni where the posts will disappear

They are not pure now, and as someone else mentioned, the horse has already left the barn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.