FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1240850-motion-failed-pass-restore-post-count-credit-omni.html)

nsx Jul 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Moved by SkiAdcock and seconded by Cholula:

At present post counts differ for all the Flyertalk forums and for the OMNI forums. The TalkBoard believes that FlyerTalk would benefit from a common posting process for these forums (Coupon Connection excepted due to the uniqueness/mandate of the forum).

The TalkBoard recommends that OMNI posts count towards posting total.

This vote will close on August 8, 11 at 6:01 PM Pacific Time or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:
The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion. Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback.

A motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’

-----------------------------------------------------

Update: motion failed 4-5

Voting yes: Cholula, jackal, SkiAdcock, UA_Flyer

Voting no: bhatnasx, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Spiff

ewrfox Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm

SkiAdcock and Cholula Thank You for moving this suggestion forward and bringing it to vote. After some of recent comments on the original thread, I thought this was dead...

Pass or not (which I hope doesn't happen) I thank the both of you for keeping the suggestion alive. ^ ^

Markie Jul 25, 2011 11:44 pm

My view is that as OMNI is, by it's very nature not central to Flyertalk, (points and miles anyone), I do not support allowing OMNI posts to count where this would have the effect of conferring the title 'Evangelist' on people who have posted 180 times on Miles and Points and the 9820 times in OMNI when the board is about Miles and Points. (Accept this is an extreme example).

Therefore on this occasion I will not be supporting this motion.

Globaliser Jul 26, 2011 5:03 am

Is one allowed to mention MilePoint here?

If post counts are intended to have any utility in assessing (in however broad a sense) the contribution that a member has made to FT, MilePoint amply demonstrates why OMNI posts should not be counted.

Post counts there (and the status consequently earned) are utterly meaningless in very many cases, because of a combination of counting all posts in every thread and the MilePoint innovation of giving people positive incentives to increase their post counts by any means.

bsdstone Jul 26, 2011 5:29 am

Absoultely they should count. Omni is every bit a part of flyertalk as the community boards are.
Reinstate post counts for OMNI, please.

ewrfox Jul 26, 2011 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 16798878)

If post counts are intended to have any utility in assessing (in however broad a sense) the contribution that a member has made to FT, MilePoint amply demonstrates why OMNI posts should not be counted.

Post counts there (and the status consequently earned) are utterly meaningless in very many cases, because of a combination of counting all posts in every thread and the MilePoint innovation of giving people positive incentives to increase their post counts by any means.

If people are allowed to post OT threads in other forums, then why should Omni not count? Wasn’t Omni created for the purpose of OT?
Some users say, posts count don’t mean anything to them, then why are they against allowing post counts in Omni? I get the feeling the evangelist status under their name means something for a certain few..

Disco Volante Jul 26, 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 16798878)

I agree wholeheartedly. MilePoint is a good example of why this should not be done on FT which remains a more credible website.

openflync Jul 26, 2011 5:48 am

Let them count.

Globaliser Jul 26, 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox (Post 16798971)
If people are allowed to post OT threads in other forums, then why should Omni not count?

Because OT threads in other forums are usually limited in number and strictly controlled, and their effect on members' post counts is correspondingly limited. Post counts are not a precise scientific measure, but they are a decent proportionate indication which is not skewed by a few OT posts in a few OT threads.

OMNI is a completely different ballgame.

Some users say, posts count don’t mean anything to them ...

I am not one of them. In the present system, post counts do mean something. At present, if a FTer has a substantial post count and they are generally respected within the community, that post count is a significant piece of information.

If you add in all the OMNI posts, post counts will become pretty much meaningless.

ewrfox Jul 26, 2011 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 16799023)
Because OT threads in other forums are usually limited in number and strictly controlled, and their effect on members' post counts is correspondingly limited. Post counts are not a precise scientific measure, but they are a decent proportionate indication which is not skewed by a few OT posts in a few OT threads.

Have you seen this thread? The top poster has 1,337 posts.. How is this any different than counting numbers?

OMNI is a completely different ballgame.I am not one of them. In the present system, post counts do mean something. At present, if a FTer has a substantial post count and they are generally respected within the community, that post count is a significant piece of information.

If you add in all the OMNI posts, post counts will become pretty much meaningless.
Are people that shallow to think posting status means something to others? You might be surprised to learn how many of these "respected" posters earned their status in Omni.

kipper Jul 26, 2011 6:29 am

If people are allowed to post OT threads in other forums, then why should Omni not count? Wasn’t Omni created for the purpose of OT?

I agree. Since there are lounge-type threads in many forums, where posters are allowed to post OT things, and their posts count, why should posts in OMNI not count?

Globaliser Jul 26, 2011 6:36 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox (Post 16799149)
Have you seen this thread? The top poster has 1,337 posts.. How is this any different than counting numbers?

Why take one example of a bad thing, and propose to make it a thousand times worse? Your example provides an illustration of why, if it were technically possible, I think that such lounge threads also ought not to count.

Originally Posted by ewrfox (Post 16799149)
Are people that shallow to think posting status means something to others?

Not status, but post count. Personally, I could not care less if status was abolished.

However, post count does have some meaning, even if it is not perfect and not to be relied on in isolation.

wharvey Jul 26, 2011 7:33 am

There are lounge threads in a number of forums... and "contests" that were run where posts were encouraged... I personally do not see why OMNI posts should be treated different than those posts.

I would encourage a "Yes" vote on this motion.

Mary2e Jul 26, 2011 7:33 am

I'll state my support of this again since this is the official thread :)

• Omni posts used to count, until some people decided to create threads and made thousands of posts in "counting" threads. There's more than 1 evangelist made by just counting. While I'm all for fun and games, these type threads should be moved to an Omni Social area where posts don't count that contain only these threads.

• Contributions to Omni-lite (not P/R) are just as valuable as any other post on FT. There are very few places on the internet where you can get good/correct information in a short period of time. Even those people who claim Omni shouldn't exist at all on FT eventually show up there when they need a fast/good answer.

• Images were allowed in Omni because the TB wanted to make it more like the rest of FT, which allows them. Posts also count in the rest of FT, so why is this even an issue - it's either like the rest of FT or it's not.

• Posts count in Lounge threads and contain far far less good information than Omni. Again, I can think of at least one evangelist that got the title by posting in lounge threads and almost nowhere else on FT, except maybe a contest thread in Community. Why is my post in Omni, which I spent a good deal of time researching and writing, helping another member valued less by the community than someone simply posting a "good morning" in a lounge thread? IMHO, all lounge threads should be moved to the social area mentioned above.

• If we don't want to reward Omni P/R-only posters with titles/post count, do not allow them to count in Omni P/R and remove the posts from their count. The vast majority of those people do not post anywhere else on FT and only go into to FT to troll. Many of them are the reason the Omnis have such a bad reputation.

• It has been said that Omni is one of the most popular forums on FT. If that is the case, why are the people posting there treated like second class citizens?

Thank you for brining this motion forward ^^

ewrfox Jul 26, 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 16799201)
Why take one example of a bad thing, and propose to make it a thousand times worse? Your example provides an illustration of why, if it were technically possible, I think that such lounge threads also ought not to count.Not status, but post count. Personally, I could not care less if status was abolished.

However, post count does have some meaning, even if it is not perfect and not to be relied on in isolation.

If I want to be anal about this, I can go and find posts by you and pretty much everyone else that are OT to miles and points.. If FT should be exclusively miles and points then you probably would have to go and delete half of the content on this site ;)

Leave everything as is, just allow Omni to count and instead of doing away with post counts, the status should be done away with..