Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They should count, IMHO.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Let them count. But I have said it before, is there a mechanism for only allowing them to count once you have posted, for example, 100 times in non-OMNI threads. If not, just let them count.

Is this where you say yay/nay to this question anyway?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Should not count. After all it is called FlyerTalk; don't count anything unrelated to flying/travelling.

If that helps boosting some people's ego, have two separate counters.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
They shouldn't count. And I am unanimous in that! Seems rather stooooopid for them to count. A pissing contest on some political crap turns into 100 posts. A "four word" story turns into 1000. A "three word" story, even more. But then, really, I don't give much of a flying fornication if they end up counting or not. It isn't going to make any important parts grow any larger if my post count increases, or increase my bank balances, or make my dog stop looking at me for treats when he knows he just had one.

However, if it makes my foot pain go away, I hope they count.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Let them count. But I have said it before, is there a mechanism for only allowing them to count once you have posted, for example, 100 times in non-OMNI threads. If not, just let them count.

Is this where you say yay/nay to this question anyway?
I thought you couldn't access OMNI until you had a certain number of posts?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I am voting against this motion.

I've posted in the other threads over the years my main reasoning, but a quick summary:

1) I believe if we have titles, titles should mean something and counting to titles reduces the meaning. (Personally, I also believe the "Lounge" threads aren't really a great idea and would prefer to see posts there not count, but that IMHO - I'm not a moderator anymore, so MHO doesn't mean much in that regard I guess).

2) OMNI & OMNI PR are extensions of FlyerTalk, and whereas I see their value to the community, they are not miles & points related - or evenly miles & points loosely related.

3) Piggybacking 3 above, as wrong as it may be, folks do, IMHO, especially newbies, view post counts as a "trust" level - I think posts should reflect participation on the miles & points side of FT.

4) As far as how the motion is worded, it doesn't make sense to me to have a motion that suggests that OMNI be added for post counts & coupon connection not be. Coupon Connection, IMHO, is more points/miles related than OMNI is - and with the bumping rules, etc, in CC, I don't see why that, if there were to be change, that wouldn't be included in such a change.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to see post counts restored for OMNI and OMNI/PR. I think both represent an important part of what makes FT a community. However, I would also like to see the counting threads, and other similar threads, that contribute nothing to the community banned if post counts are restored.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by as219
Again, if you want to make the case that OMNI posts should be allowed to count, that's fine, but then I suggest you make the case on its own merits rather than pleas for consistency.

Part of traveling to other places is eating in restaurants, sampling the local cuisine, etc.
And I would say that part of travelling to other places is understanding the local culture, be it sports team rivalries, attitudes towards contentious issues such as affirmative action, abortion, same sex marriage etc, and the politics of the destination.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm a little amazed and disturbed that some are fighting for more "credit" for their OMNI posts. As I just mentioned to a friend, I get a little more embarrassed the higher my FT post count goes. I feel like covering it up when my wife is near the screen. It's like getting "credit" for hanging out in bars.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thought that occurs to me, is that sponsorship (the advertisments many of us see when we post) are presumably based on some sort of post counting - and I am guessing for those purposes, number of users, number of posts etc do include OMNI. If FT benefits from those posts (in generating ad revenue) then shouldn't they count for the users that make them too? After all, the numbers they could quote to those sponors would be a lot lower without OMNI.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Does it really matter?

Personally I don't care one way or the other, but there seems to be two notions here that I have to say I don't agree with.

First, a person's post count means something.

That's just not the case. There is little, if any, correlation between a person's post count and their value to the community. There are people who have been here a year or two and have multiple times the amount of posts somebody who has been here five or ten years. Does it make them any more respected or valuable? I most certainly don't believe so.

Second notion, the one that really cracks me up, is that Omni is the off topic nothing to do with points and miles, while the rest of the place does and their posts should count. That's just simply no longer true.

There are many forums out there where anything from half to 99% of their posts have nothing to do with points and miles. SPAM for example is so removed from it's description it's laughable. Most of Dining Buzz has nothing to do with travel or points and miles unless you really stretch it.

Virtually everything in News Stand is a duplicate thread of Safety and Security and other forums, but nobody calls that post count padding. Online booking has a thread that's dozens of pages long and it's people saying you are a jerk and others saying you are a nutjob, yet those posts count. Travel Technology is a stretch to say it's all travel related,

I say let it count, but I'll also say it really doesn't matter one way or the other, Post count only serves one purpose to me, to welcome new posters to Flyertalk, after that it's meaningless.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:24 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I pretty much ambivalent about the issue. What I'd rather see happen is get rid of post counts altogether (in all forums), which I doubt is ever going to happen.

Last edited by PG; Jul 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
4) As far as how the motion is worded, it doesn't make sense to me to have a motion that suggests that OMNI be added for post counts & coupon connection not be. Coupon Connection, IMHO, is more points/miles related than OMNI is - and with the bumping rules, etc, in CC, I don't see why that, if there were to be change, that wouldn't be included in such a change.
The motion pertains to Omni posts counting because that's what TB members asked us to consider (see the suggestion thread in this same forum).

The motion didn't include CC because neither FTers nor TB members have mentioned the CC posts not counting while I have been on TB & ask us to reconsider. I was not on TB when either TB or Randy decided that CC posts wouldn't count so I can't address why they and/or he decided to exclude CC posts from counting.

If someone would like to start a suggestion thread, either in the public or private TB forums to consider TB changing CC posts counts, I would be more than willing to consider the issue.

But that would be a separate thread. The purpose of THIS thread is to garner feedback from FTers re: whether they think Omni posts should be reinstated & their reasons why & why not, so that TB members can take their input into consideration.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:26 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
Does it really matter?

Personally I don't care one way or the other, but there seems to be two notions here that I have to say I don't agree with.

First, a person's post count means something.

That's just not the case. There is little, if any, correlation between a person's post count and their value to the community. There are people who have been here a year or two and have multiple times the amount of posts somebody who has been here five or ten years. Does it make them any more respected or valuable? I most certainly don't believe so.

Second notion, the one that really cracks me up, is that Omni is the off topic nothing to do with points and miles, while the rest of the place does and their posts should count. That's just simply no longer true.

There are many forums out there where anything from half to 99% of their posts have nothing to do with points and miles. SPAM for example is so removed from it's description it's laughable. Most of Dining Buzz has nothing to do with travel or points and miles unless you really stretch it.

Virtually everything in News Stand is a duplicate thread of Safety and Security and other forums, but nobody calls that post count padding. Online booking has a thread that's dozens of pages long and it's people saying you are a jerk and others saying you are a nutjob, yet those posts count. Travel Technology is a stretch to say it's all travel related,

I say let it count, but I'll also say it really doesn't matter one way or the other, Post count only serves one purpose to me, to welcome new posters to Flyertalk, after that it's meaningless.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on this.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
It's like getting "credit" for hanging out in bars.
Depends if you hang out at the Hotsy Totsy , or at Michael Mina's Clock Bar .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.