Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand what you're saying, Sharon - but the first paragraph reads:

At present post counts differ for all the Flyertalk forums and for the OMNI forums. The TalkBoard believes that FlyerTalk would benefit from a common posting process for these forums (Coupon Connection excepted due to the uniqueness/mandate of the forum).
I don't understad why CC is any more unique in this regard - if anything, IMHO, it's more related to miles & points (and even more of a value to what I perceive the mission of FlyerTalk is) than OMNI & OMNI P/R.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by thesaints
Should not count. After all it is called FlyerTalk; don't count anything unrelated to flying/travelling.

If that helps boosting some people's ego, have two separate counters.
Well as it is called "Flyer" talk then why add "travelling" ? It is not called "Travellertalk".

I guess posts count in the "Cruises" thread and on the "flyertalk" ticket I guess they should not count either. A post is a post is a post. And the number of posts is no guarantee that anyone's opinion is more valuable than any other persons. Unless it is the BA forum of course.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Depends if you hang out at the Hotsy Totsy , or at Michael Mina's Clock Bar .
It's been a while, but I love Hotsy Totsy! A buddy and I played shuffleboard there a few years ago. My friend was pretty good at it. One of our opponents gave my friend a pitch on how he could be a great tournament competitor if he worked at it. Me, not so much. True story.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I understand what you're saying, Sharon - but the first paragraph reads:

I don't understad why CC is any more unique in this regard - if anything, IMHO, it's more related to miles & points (and even more of a value to what I perceive the mission of FlyerTalk is) than OMNI & OMNI P/R.
Truthfully the reason CC is mentioned at all in the motion is because I figured if I said ALL FT forums allow posts to count, someone would mention CC doesn't. Plus my understanding was that there was some sort of mandate given the uniqueness of that forum due to the 'trading' that goes on & there was a reason for it, hence my phrasing it that way.

I agree with you that if posts count in Omni they should count in CC, but I think CC posts counting should be a separate thread. And I'm sure in that thread the reasons why CC posts are excluded from counting would be explained/up for consideration. It can't be because it helps you get access to CC because in order to access CC you have to have 180 posts already to get to it. If such a thread is started, then perhaps the mods of CC can address the issue in that thread.

Speaking only for myself and as a regular FT member, I don't put super credence in # of posts meaning someone is smarter/knows more. If someone makes a post that I strongly agree or disagree w/ or is extremely unusual, I might glance underneath their handle to see how long they've been on FT & how many posts, but I usually don't.

For that matter I don't look to see if they've got evangelist or legend (dhuey will be really embarrassed if he ever gets to that stage ). If titles disappeared it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but that also is a separate thread.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
For that matter I don't look to see if they've got evangelist or legend (dhuey will be really embarrassed if he ever gets to that stage ). If titles disappeared it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but that also is a separate thread.

Cheers.
I might threaten to close my account if they don't remove that "title of honor". Not much of a threat, I know.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Truthfully the reason CC is mentioned at all in the motion is because I figured if I said ALL FT forums allow posts to count, someone would mention CC doesn't. Plus my understanding was that there was some sort of mandate given the uniqueness of that forum due to the 'trading' that goes on & there was a reason for it, hence my phrasing it that way.

I agree with you that if posts count in Omni they should count in CC, but I think CC posts counting should be a separate thread. And I'm sure in that thread the reasons why CC posts are excluded from counting would be explained/up for consideration. It can't be because it helps you get access to CC because in order to access CC you have to have 180 posts already to get to it. If such a thread is started, then perhaps the mods of CC can address the issue in that thread.
I get it. Coupon Connection is like Quebec, separate and distinct and everyone is okay with it staying that way. Like bhatnasx I don't see the point in including OMNI while excluding CC.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by Mary2e
[*]It has been said that Omni is one of the most popular forums on FT. If that is the case, why are the people posting there treated like second class citizens?[/LIST]

It has been the case for me. I am taking the year off from traveling (mostly) but that does not mean it's not in my blood.

Omni P/R is the only place for me to interact on FT during this season, to say, "I am still here!"
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
Does it really matter?

Personally I don't care one way or the other, but there seems to be two notions here that I have to say I don't agree with.

First, a person's post count means something.

That's just not the case. There is little, if any, correlation between a person's post count and their value to the community. There are people who have been here a year or two and have multiple times the amount of posts somebody who has been here five or ten years. Does it make them any more respected or valuable? I most certainly don't believe so.
Can you not at the very least acknowledge that even if you see no value in post counts, they do have at least some value for others and that some believe that value would will be significantly diminished if OMNI posts are allowed to count again?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Please, NO.

I don't care much about other people's post counts, but clearly many others feel differently. To me, if someone wants to post-pad, so be it. But when posts in Omni used to count, that forum became a wasteland of counting and game threads, that pushed the other threads down. It got to where it was common for 3/4 of the front page threads to be counting, and that did affect those of us who enjoy the threads in Omni which contain actual content.

Unless or until we get an ignore/hide thread option, or we limit or segregate the counting & game threads, let's please keep Omni posts from counting.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'm a little amazed and disturbed that some are fighting for more "credit" for their OMNI posts. As I just mentioned to a friend, I get a little more embarrassed the higher my FT post count goes. I feel like covering it up when my wife is near the screen. It's like getting "credit" for hanging out in bars.
Yes, which some of us refer to as 'socializing', which, in turn, some of us consider a good thing. Sad that you don't.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Does it really matter?
Ultimately? No.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't really care, but at least in OMNI without posts counting, I can measure a members commitment to supporting the other forums, and not just using OMNI as political venting vehicle.

Some of Omni's most prolific posters have less than 500 posts in any of the other forums, and they have been members for years.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:44 pm

I enjoy fruitful exchanges with FT folks that seem to be educated and experienced within the community. The Points & Miles community that is. As someone who might be categorized as the archetypal dedicated visitor, who routinely (but not ritually) chimes in to relevant and appropriate threads of interest...I wholeheartedly OPPOSE re-instituting OMNI posts into members post counts.

When one is discussing topics of interest, its nice to see whom your discussions are with, and how much they've contributed to the Points & Miles community. While I concede OMNI has a place within the community, I believe it is a much seperate facet of FT than what the post count should portray. Further, the Coupon Connection, I believe, is MORE relevant to the spirit of FT than OMNI. It should be noted that the mods in the CC are very rigorous in disallowing "extraneous" posts within those threads. Therefore, the concern of someone padding their count via the CC is an inherently flawed one, as one is basically not allowed to have a "posting run" in the CC, and is discouraged from commenting on potential on ongoing trades within the CC threads. It seems, however, that since the aim of FT is to discuss Points & Miles programs within the travel industry - one would think that the CC would have not just a tangential place, but would play a somewhat integral role in FT, since its the only true forum that discusses the primary value of what a Point & Mile within any one program are actually worth. @:-)

If I was on TB, I would search my soul and be true to what FT is actually about. Therefore, I would NOT allow OMNI posts to count. Further, I would remove any OMNI posts from existing post counts. And third, I would allow posts from the Coupon Connection to count.

BTW, I would hope that posts within this thread (including my own) do not count toward post counts either, lol.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Another "nay" to counting posts in OMNI.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'll state my support of this again since this is the official thread

• Omni posts used to count, until some people decided to create threads and made thousands of posts in "counting" threads. There's more than 1 evangelist made by just counting. While I'm all for fun and games, these type threads should be moved to an Omni Social area where posts don't count that contain only these threads.

• Contributions to Omni-lite (not P/R) are just as valuable as any other post on FT. There are very few places on the internet where you can get good/correct information in a short period of time. Even those people who claim Omni shouldn't exist at all on FT eventually show up there when they need a fast/good answer.

• Images were allowed in Omni because the TB wanted to make it more like the rest of FT, which allows them. Posts also count in the rest of FT, so why is this even an issue - it's either like the rest of FT or it's not.

• Posts count in Lounge threads and contain far far less good information than Omni. Again, I can think of at least one evangelist that got the title by posting in lounge threads and almost nowhere else on FT, except maybe a contest thread in Community. Why is my post in Omni, which I spent a good deal of time researching and writing, helping another member valued less by the community than someone simply posting a "good morning" in a lounge thread? IMHO, all lounge threads should be moved to the social area mentioned above.

• If we don't want to reward Omni P/R-only posters with titles/post count, do not allow them to count in Omni P/R and remove the posts from their count. The vast majority of those people do not post anywhere else on FT and only go into to FT to troll. Many of them are the reason the Omnis have such a bad reputation.

• It has been said that Omni is one of the most popular forums on FT. If that is the case, why are the people posting there treated like second class citizens?

Thank you for brining this motion forward ^^
As usual, I agree with Mary. ^ +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.