Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX Seating-thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Auriarte
Looking for some quick advice. I'll be flying ORD-ZRH in January with my wife in Business on the A330-300. We are currently in 6D/G but I am torn as to whether we should move to 5A/B in the mini-cabin for more privacy or perhaps move to 8D/G to be a little more removed from the galley. We are both relatively average height and I prefer a more "private" arrangement which is why I'm a little hesitant on the bulkhead in main. I've read that the lavatory noise for 5A/B is a non-issue (is this true?) but that there is a small compromise on space for the A/B pairings.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated! Open options are basically any pairing in Business except 4D/G and 5D/G.
in my opinion the mini cabin is overrated and only an advantage if Biz class is very full, which is at the moment hardly the case
I would prefer D/G as then both can leave the seat towards the isle...
the bulk seats in 6D/G are good and proximity to the galley would not bother me as there is not much noise after meal service (unless one would like to sleep early already during meal service)
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by BinSabai
in my opinion the mini cabin is overrated and only an advantage if Biz class is very full, which is at the moment hardly the case
I would prefer D/G as then both can leave the seat towards the isle...
the bulk seats in 6D/G are good and proximity to the galley would not bother me as there is not much noise after meal service (unless one would like to sleep early already during meal service)
I have a different opinion. 5A/B or 6D/G are identical seat pairs except 5 has a window/aisle combo and 6 has aisle/aisle. Legroom is the same and footwell a are wide in both.

OP specifically mentions privacy which is a bit better in row 5, especially in the window seat. Yes the stuebli may be overrated (though I like it) but there will be less traffic and less waiting for the lavatory by row 5 with the opening/closing of the curtain that this brings. It is a night flight after all and the stuebli is generally a bit quieter than the main section regardless of loads
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
I have a different opinion. 5A/B or 6D/G are identical seat pairs except 5 has a window/aisle combo and 6 has aisle/aisle. Legroom is the same and footwell a are wide in both.

OP specifically mentions privacy which is a bit better in row 5, especially in the window seat. Yes the stuebli may be overrated (though I like it) but there will be less traffic and less waiting for the lavatory by row 5 with the opening/closing of the curtain that this brings. It is a night flight after all and the stuebli is generally a bit quieter than the main section regardless of loads
Thanks for the feedback. Seems that opinions on rows 5 v 6 on the A330 are a mixed bag. Two questions for you since you seem to have experience with row 5:

1. Does the noise from the lavatory door/flush impact 5A/B at all?
2. You mention the sizing of the seats are fairly similar. I've heard it be mentioned that the A/B pairs are "cramped" compared to the D/G pairs due to the lack of the second armrest. I really don't mind having to share an armrest or deal with aisle access with my wife, but want to make sure that comfort and "width" aren't compromised otherwise?

Shame it wont be the 777, seems they rotate to the A330 on the ORD-ZRH route come winter and fly the 777 in summer.

Thanks again to all!

Last edited by Auriarte; Aug 30, 2021 at 9:09 am Reason: added detail
Old Aug 30, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Auriarte
Thanks for the feedback. Seems that opinions on rows 5 v 6 on the A330 are a mixed bag. Two questions for you since you seem to have experience with row 5:

1. Does the noise from the lavatory door/flush impact 5A/B at all?
2. You mention the sizing of the seats are fairly similar. I've heard it be mentioned that the A/B pairs are "cramped" compared to the D/G pairs due to the lack of the second armrest. I really don't mind having to share an armrest or deal with aisle access with my wife, but want to make sure that comfort and "width" aren't compromised otherwise?

Shame it wont be the 777, seems they rotate to the A330 on the ORD-ZRH route come winter and fly the 777 in summer.

Thanks again to all!
1: On the A330 behind row 5 is the workspace for the Maitre de Cabine. The lavatory is behind the door in front of 6A/C. I have never had any issue.

2: 5A/C will have a large armrest/table in the middle and two smaller ones at each side. This is the only difference with 6D/G which has a large table on one side as well as in the middle and only small one on the side. The one on the window side of 5A can be moved down which makes this a nicer option IMO than the large table. It makes the seat a bit wider when sleeping in particular. If you are traveling with your wife then this might be a better option.

Seats on the B77W are similar except the layout is different and there is a small privacy screen.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Flying Biz on LX19 EWR-ZRH next week - looks like an A330-300.

I'm with my wife and there are some options still available but I have 12 D/G. SeatGuru doesn't have any particularly special seats for biz and 4 D/G is reserved for status.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PP, Bonvoy Titanium
Flying on LX-38 (777-300) as a couple, in J soon. Seats are limited. Currently am in 4 J/K. Obviously not ideal on a long haul flight. Only available seats in the center aisle is 17 D/G, last row in the cabin. Which option is better 4 J/K or 17 D/G?

TIA!
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by poupre
Flying on LX-38 (777-300) as a couple, in J soon. Seats are limited. Currently am in 4 J/K. Obviously not ideal on a long haul flight. Only available seats in the center aisle is 17 D/G, last row in the cabin. Which option is better 4 J/K or 17 D/G?

TIA!
By all means keep 4J/K. Good seats for a couple with more leg space than 17D/G. Downside is no aisle access for the K seat but when traveling as a couple that's less of an issue. Other downside is that you have a view into F so you will wish you were in 2D/G
poupre likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
Flying Biz on LX19 EWR-ZRH next week - looks like an A330-300.

I'm with my wife and there are some options still available but I have 12 D/G. SeatGuru doesn't have any particularly special seats for biz and 4 D/G is reserved for status.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
The blocked seats may open at OLCI so check back T-24 or a bit earlier...
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
The blocked seats may open at OLCI so check back T-24 or a bit earlier...
Will do. Are 4 D/G considered the best seats for a couple? Or are one of the left side seats actually more ideal for privacy? I legit thought the whole biz cabin was 1-2-1 until I realized that it alternates on the thrones to 2-2-1.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
Will do. Are 4 D/G considered the best seats for a couple? Or are one of the left side seats actually more ideal for privacy? I legit thought the whole biz cabin was 1-2-1 until I realized that it alternates on the thrones to 2-2-1.
On a night flight for a couple I’d prefer the window pair over a middle pair. Bulkhead middles are better than the other ones for leg space.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:20 am

Very useful feedback thank you.
MichielR likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:07 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Well I’m at -46 hours for ZHR-SFO and I can’t select anything. It says I can pick at -23 hours. Something about all the seats are now assigned.

when I checked at -48 hours, there were some throne seats but I would have to pay. So I decided to check a little later but I waited too long?

guess I just cant Have any luck with this. This is the second LX flight on which I tried to grab a throne seat at -48.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by exp
Well I’m at -46 hours for ZHR-SFO and I can’t select anything. It says I can pick at -23 hours. Something about all the seats are now assigned.

when I checked at -48 hours, there were some throne seats but I would have to pay. So I decided to check a little later but I waited too long?

guess I just cant Have any luck with this. This is the second LX flight on which I tried to grab a throne seat at -48.
I think the 48 hour thing is a relic. However, I have had no issue choosing a throne seat at the -24 check in mark. Just got my 5K throne for ZRH->LAX tomorrow a few hours ago.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:51 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by exp

You can‘t grab seats for free outside the check-in window which is T-24 (unless you through check from another flight, then typically T-36, which could be the indicator why the throne seat was taken). Ever since LX moved from the PARS System in 2016 and DCS in 2017 (I worked for the IT provider) to Amadeus/Altea you cannot book seats within these 48 hours as I have noticed. I presume they do not have a common seat map to handle the situation as the former system did (unbelievable actually). Seating and re-seating is generally still a big issue at Amadeus, they cannot handle this well enough.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:05 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Are there any plans for LX to go to 1-2-1 layout?

So I am flying GVA-ZRH-SFO. Does that mean when I can check in for the flights, I should be able to pick?

GVA flight departs 3 hours before the ZRH-SFO flight.

Also I'm currently in Annecy, which is less than an hour drive from GVA but apparently ZRH is one hour ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.