Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just flew the new B777-300ER [merged experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just had my first flight on the 77W, ZRH-SFO, in 15G.

My overall verdict is the hard product is a significant upgrade over the 340. The extra cabin width was quite noticeable . . . this was a very private seat, and I was able to get a solid 5-6 hours of sleep. For this reason alone, I would absolutely fly it again on the eastbound red-eye . . . better than anything LH or UA offers to Europe (in J) in terms of privacy. I also thought the cushion was more comfortable than on the 340. The "coffin" effect did not bother me, but I can see where it might bother some. I had no issues with either bed length or size of the footwell. I did have a hard time finding a comfortable lounging position . . . IMO UA's seats are much better than LX, LH, or OS on this score.

Service was okay. IME German speakers get much better service on LX. The purser noticeably skipped me as he worked his way through the cabin introducing himself to passengers. Outside of meal service, I don't think I was ever offered a beverage. (Contrast this with my LH experience on the outbound, where the FA serving my section could not have been more engaging or attentive.)

I've never been impressed with LX catering and this flight didn't move the dial. The salmon tartare appetizer was very nice, but everything else was subpar. Particularly the pre-arrival meal of ravioli in an exceptionally gummy cheese sauce.

Overall a nice flight, despite the so-so soft product.
RJ1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I have two “I” award reservations booked SFO-ZRH on LX (using UA miles; 016 ticket stock).

Is F on an LX 777-300ER enough better than J/C that trying to upgrade should even be considered?

If yes, what options does a *A Gold through UA have for doing so? My guess is that a large amount of cash is the only method available to me, but would appreciate other potential approaches (e.g., using more MP miles?).
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmd001
I have two “I” award reservations booked SFO-ZRH on LX (using UA miles; 016 ticket stock).

Is F on an LX 777-300ER enough better than J/C that trying to upgrade should even be considered?
Yes, definitely.

But:

If yes, what options does a *A Gold through UA have for doing so? My guess is that a large amount of cash is the only method available to me, but would appreciate other potential approaches (e.g., using more MP miles?).
There are two ways to get into LX F with miles:

a) if you have M&M miles and are at least SEN, you can book an F (O) award

and, as others are reporting - I've never seen it myself:

b) if you have booked a paid busines class ticket, you can upgrade using miles into F (A)

There is no way to get into LX F on UA miles alone*.

*someone will probably bring up the one time when LX F awards were open to book with other *A miles some time ago due to a glitch in the system...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Thanks, goliath.

Given my award ticket situation, does LX ever offer buy-up-for-cash opportunities to move from J to F? Either at checkin or before?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks, goliath.

Given my award ticket situation, does LX ever offer buy-up-for-cash opportunities to move from J to F? Either at checkin or before?
yes, ask the MdC on board. He/she can offer cash upgrades to F on I-class tickets.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
yes, ask the MdC on board. He/she can offer cash upgrades to F on I-class tickets.
Apologies for the ignorance, but what is "MdC"?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't see the value on the outbound (SFO-ZRH). On the return, it might theoretically be worthwhile for FCL access at ZRH, but I suspect you're not going to like the price (if it's even possible). This is not like UA where the standard buy up J to F is 'only' $1189.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't see the value on the outbound (SFO-ZRH). On the return, it might theoretically be worthwhile for FCL access at ZRH [...]
I see the value in the (much) better bed (even more on SFO-ZRH it's a long night flight), food and "overall experience". You can access the FCL in ZRH after arrival as well.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:43 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Apologies for the ignorance, but what is "MdC"?
MdC: Maître de Cabine (a.k.a. P2 on LH)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by cas_de
MdC: Maître de Cabine (a.k.a. P2 on LH)
Ah ... "Purser" in UA-speak. That's what I was going to guess. Have to start thinking in French. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I see the value in the (much) better bed (even more on SFO-ZRH it's a long night flight), food and "overall experience". You can access the FCL in ZRH after arrival as well.
I can't find the post right now, but somewhere in this 1100+ post thread, I read that for access to the FCL having a seat in F is not enough. One also needs to be on LX ticket stock (724?) and have status with LX. Not the case with me. Our connection is only ~ 1.5 hr, so would not be able to make much use of the FCL anyway.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:40 am

I can't find the post right now, but somewhere in this 1100+ post thread, I read that for access to the FCL having a seat in F is not enough. One also needs to be on LX ticket stock (724?) and have status with LX. Not the case with me.
That's a good catch. The reports are somewhat mixed on ticket stock vs. codeshare. If you had a UA flight number, they definitely would not let you in. UA issued ticket, some have been successful at getting in, particularly by using the mobile BP. A UA award ticket will be booked under the LX flight number so you would have a shot. LX status is not required.

The 77W J cabin is pretty nice. It would have to be a relatively cheap upgrade for me to pay up to F for the eastbound, where I'll mostly be sleeping and won't get any enhanced lounge access at SFO.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:59 am

I can't find the post right now, but somewhere in this 1100+ post thread, I read that for access to the FCL having a seat in F is not enough. One also needs to be on LX ticket stock (724?) and have status with LX.
You don't need status to acces the FCLs if you're travelling on LX F.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by goliath
You don't need status to acces the FCLs if you're travelling on LX F.
Just "traveling on LX F" is not sufficient. You cannot get in if your LX F flight was sold as a UA codeshare. And if your ticket is on UA stock, even with an LX flight number, you still may be refused entry.

Swiss First Class Lounge Just for Swiss
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:32 am

My comment was referring to the "...and have status on LX" part.

I know the whole story about UA codeshares / tickets (travelled on some myself) and the dedicated thread about it, but none of that has anything to do with status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.