Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just flew the new B777-300ER [merged experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, they are operating the 77W across Europe to get the future pilots more line check experience:

Code:
DOLX1956/08FEB                                                                  
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              LX1956    7 MO 08FEB16                    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
ZRH          1710  MO JCDZP/M  YB/S       77W         1:45                      
                      MUHGQVWSTEL/S                                             
                      K/S                                                       
BCN 1855  MO                                                1:45                

COMMENTS-                                                                       
 1.ZRH BCN   - AIRCRAFT OWNER SWISS GLOBAL AIR LINES                            
 2.ZRH BCN   - COCKPIT CREW SWISS GLOBAL AIR LINES                              
 3.ZRH BCN   - CABIN CREW SWISS GLOBAL AIR LINES                                
 4.ZRH BCN   - OPERATED BY SWISS GLOBAL AIR LINES                               
 5.ZRH BCN   - ARRIVES TERMINAL 1                                               
 6.ZRH BCN   -   9/ NON-SMOKING                                                 
 7.ZRH BCN   -  15/ IN-SEAT VIDEO PLAYER/LIBRARY                                
 8.ZRH BCN   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
 9.ZRH BCN   - C62Y278                                                          

CONFIGURATION-                                                                  
               77W  C  62   Y 144                                               
>
The F cabin is not available, as well as part of the Y cabin is also blocked for sale.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by flyingchris
I was wondering:
made a booking today for a flight next Monday 08.February from ZRH - BCN on
LX 1956, it is on this 777-300ER.
Is this correct?
Why not?
The aircraft is planned on several of my intra-european flights in the next few weeks.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:13 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by weero
Relative to coach, the improvement is massive ....
Whoops, pretty bad typo. I meant to say; "I don't see how anyone could think this new cabin isn't a huge improvement."
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by helvetic
Whoops, pretty bad typo. I meant to say; "I don't see how anyone could think this new cabin isn't a huge improvement."
I'll volunteer to be at least somebody who does not think that the new Business cabin is a huge improvement.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I've tried it, but from what I saw so far, there's not much else than a nicer IFE and a bit of a novelty factor.

For now, I'm perfectly happy with the existing C cabin in the A330 and A340.
Plenty of space for me to sit and sleep on any of the seats, and I can easily talk to the rest of the family if I like to.
That new setup with the table standing in between people may be good for privacy and it surely frees up some extra legroom for the seat behind, but it looks a bit strange to me.

I'd go as far as saying that even the F cabin (old, new & brand-new) isn't substantially better suited than the current C to do the things I normally do in an airplane, which is sleeping, more sleeping and eating.
Yes, there's service and F&B that do increase the difference, but F vs C remains a poor value proposition in most cases for me, because I'm really a fan of the current C cabin.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:25 am

Best F C Y Seating on new 777

Hello

Does anyone have any experience and/or guidance as to the best F C Y seat options available on the new LX Boeing 777 configuration?

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Please no crossposting, it's not allowed according FT T&C:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26551772-post862.html
Old May 15, 2016, 7:59 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
77W - Short review Business Class FRA-ZRH

I planned a week-end in Zurich to visit the city and found a good fare with LX. To my surprise this was one of the familiarization flight of the 77W and an upgrade to C was only 90 EUROS, bringing the total cost to just above 200 EUR (return in Y in a A320). Excited at the idea to took such a big jet in a lie-flat bed for this nano-haul, I bought it.

Here is a short review of the seat and flight. Please keep in mind this was my first flight with LX, so the review lacks comparison with their A330/340 seat.

Hello there

I found the seat spacious enough and well designed. I quickly tried the lie-flat function and I am sure I would be comfortable sleeping for a few hours. Some articles mentioned the LX seat to be narrow: I would not agree for the 77W, although I could say that the Cirrus seat you find on AA or QR is larger. The configuration of 5 seats per row (1-2-2 or 2-2-1) is a bit bizarre and lack of aisle access for some seat a disadvantage.

There are storage holder under the screen and an iPad holder on the side, beneath the headphones hook. An extra storage in the central console would be useful for stuff during the night for example. Also one magazine pocket (and one inflight magazine) for two seats is not very good.
The bottle holder is well placed when in bed mode, much less in a seating position. I liked the reading lamp design and simplicity.

The IFE was slick and responsive, with a remote including a small screen.

For such a short flight, the catering was simple but quite good, despite the sandwich being too cold. I am not sure whether that is because the crew is not accustomed yet to the equipment.

The crew was proud of the plane and the cabin crew welcomed one by one every business class passenger.
Based on this experience, I would happily choose LX and the 77W for a future long-haul if the occasion arises.

See you soon, hopefully
Old May 18, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the report and pix, fransknorge! ^

It turns out I might be able to switch to a 77W for a ZRH-PRG leg. Would that Euro 90 upgrade also be available?
Ticket farebase is B.

Last edited by cesco.g; May 20, 2016 at 11:17 am Reason: added question
Old May 23, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I took the same flight from FRA to ZRH on last Friday in business class seat 5K and it was enjoyable and I really liked the new C seat.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:53 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
thanks for the report and pix, fransknorge! ^

It turns out I might be able to switch to a 77W for a ZRH-PRG leg. Would that Euro 90 upgrade also be available?
Ticket farebase is B.
Mine showed in Manage My Booking on the Swiss website. I guess you will know by checking or calling their booking team.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Mine showed in Manage My Booking on the Swiss website. I guess you will know by checking or calling their booking team.
N.m., they just pulled the 777 and plugged an A320 in.
Thanks anyway!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I haven't flown the 333 in about a year, but the 77W just recently and the 77W's system was different with the latest Panasonic Aviation AVOD with multiple angles and views to play around in the "your flight" (or similar) section and with a 2nd screen on the controller etc.

Maybe the software was upgraded on the 333s, but not the hardware?

Regardless of AVOD (or other) differences, I would not go out of my way to fly the 77W over the 333 on the relatively short daytime flight to the East Coast (like flying to YUL first and then taking a connection to LGA).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 75k, IHG Plat, TK Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, HH Gold
Just flew the new B777-300ER

Hi

I flew Swiss' new B777-300ER from Zurich to Montreal. The staff ground side were very pleased to tell us it was brand new....shame none of them i suspect had flown on it. Economy was terrible, one of the worst flights i have been on and i fly a lot. This is last time i dont double check what my companies travel agent puts forward against an alternative option to get Premium Economy.

The seat pitch was the worst i have experience on an international flight. I think they were trying to compensate for 17 rows of business class. The temperature onboard was not very well controlled and whilst they did hand out water there should never have been the need....when even the staff were complaining, why did it take nearly an hour to change it. and for it to be increased again 2 hours later.

I will never fly an international route with Swiss again.

Regards,

JB0591

Last edited by JB0591; Jul 17, 2016 at 12:16 pm
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by JB0591
Economy was terrible, one of the worst flights i have been on and i fly a lot. This is last time i dont double check for an alternative option to get Premium Economy.
Unfortunately, it is precisely this line of thinking that gives the world Economy class products that are less and less comfortable:

1) Select a carrier without regard to the cabin standards offered (presumably by price, schedule, FFP etc.)
2) Experience a very uncomfortable Y product
3) Be willing to pay more for "bearable" alternatives such as Premium Y, exit row seats etc. next time

I don't blame you at all, but there is a customer-behavior root for why Economy is what it is today.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC 75k, IHG Plat, TK Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, HH Gold
Originally Posted by airoli
Unfortunately, it is precisely this line of thinking that gives the world Economy class products that are less and less comfortable:

1) Select a carrier without regard to the cabin standards offered (presumably by price, schedule, FFP etc.)
2) Experience a very uncomfortable Y product
3) Be willing to pay more for "bearable" alternatives such as Premium Y, exit row seats etc. next time

I don't blame you at all, but there is a customer-behavior root for why Economy is what it is today.
I forgot to mention I don't get to pick my travel option as my company uses a travel agent. I normally have to prove a different route is available. I didn't get chance on this trip as it was a last minute change.

The problem with economy is collective slipping standards in European carriers and the fact that people have no other choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.