Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:07 pm

Recent Pix from the Westin Miyako Kyoto

I have posted recent pictures from the Kyoto trip we took in October.
Kyoto is a wonderful city and I hope others would also enjoy the visit.

The pictures should help you better understand the hotel and some of the major attractions in the city.

I added English comments as well.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/gellykenny-hotels/
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
As a fyi the Westin is not the most convenient hotel in Kyoto for being a tourist. You really have to plan your day as one would probably not return then head out again for sightseeing. Of course if you are thinking SPG this is it. The Granvia is best in terms of transport options. The Hyatt is not so bad either. Just my two cents on convenience.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Good but not great hotel, showing its age a bit

Another good SPG stay - booked 2 rooms on C&P for 3 nights. One room was upgraded to a suite with somewhat tired furnishings in the small but separate living room; the other room was perfectly fine but unremarkable standard king. Prior to arrival, I asked the rooms manager to give us nonsmoking rooms and both rooms were nonsmoking. Was also given breakfast coupons for two people for one room for all 3 days.

A note on breakfast: the food in the restaurant was simply not good. As in, remarkably bad. Continental breakfast in the 10th floor exec lounge didn't have the variety of the restaurant, but the quality was much higher.

Overall, i think this property is showing the strain of several bad years of business travel. I've stayed here each year for the past 4 years and it's slowly gone from a crisp, smart 4.5 star property to a good but not great 4 star. Still good value for C&P or at the discounted rates - one can often book rooms here for under 18000 yen - but not a property I look forward to any more.

But, in counterpoint to RTWStarAlliance (who definitely knows more than I do about both the hotel and the city of Kyoto) I really like the location: it's a quiet neighborhood, in a terrific spot for beautiful walks to many shrines and public places, yet still an affordable cab ride from downtown.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Not taken as counterpoint. Just information for all. Thank you.

I agree the Hotel can be dated. I had a reservation there for tomorrow but will stay in Osaka for another night as convenience. IMHO the suites in the main building are good but others still being suites have something missing in terms of style.

As a major transport point being near as possible to Kyoto Station is important. From there you can easily access Nara, Osaka and of course take the subway or bus to nearly all points in Kyoto. Of course the bullet train is at Kyoto Station for further onward trips.

I guess I am really reasonable esp with decline of dollar. Taxi is out in my budget (no comments please) and I try plan out of any day trips leaving from Westin. The subway is good and the Westin's shuttle really works for most of the day. Both of these later options get you back to the heart of Kyoto and Kyoto Station.

Heading for Kyoto Station in a few minutes for shopping and dinner with friends from Osaka.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I would appreciate some advice from someone familar with this hotel.

I have a conference in the future at the international conference Center. I have located the center on a map and it appears to be about 3 milkes north of the Westin.

Question One: Is there a tram or bus that can get me near to the conference center?

Question Two: Is the Westin a reasonable place to stay for attending a meeting at the conference center

Question Four: Is third week in November high season or Off season?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I would appreciate some advice from someone familar with this hotel.

I have a conference in the future at the international conference Center. I have located the center on a map and it appears to be about 3 milkes north of the Westin.

Question One: Is there a tram or bus that can get me near to the conference center?

Question Two: Is the Westin a reasonable place to stay for attending a meeting at the conference center

Question Four: Is third week in November high season or Off season?
Assuming you mean the ICC in Iwakura( north end of the city)

Q1 & Q2>A: Yes, many people attending conference stay there, and a great location for sightseeing some of the most famous temples & gardens if you have free time---Yes, both bus ( #5 no transfer and walk to bus stop is about 5mins) and subway (which will need to transfer, but easy to do and trains run very often, 10mins wait is usually upper end. Start station is 2mins walk from hotel> terminal station will also put you a short walk to ICC. Price is reasonable, time depending on connections & walking about 30mins...if you find 3 others might consider sharing a Taxi; a little more then subway but more comfortable)

Q3 { or is it Q4 }>A: Depending on when in Nov, let me know as this is the start of Momiji season ( changing maple trees etc) and KYOTO is one of the top tourist destinations in all of Japan.. my advice is to make your reservation NOW, whether staying at Westin Miyako or any hotel in Kyoto.
( This could also effect using taxi as I suggested above due to heavy traffic in both Miyako & Iwakura areas; meter wait time will be outrageous... and subways will be crowded so might take you a little longer )

Good point is Westin Miyako area is very beautiful and if coming in Nov many temples & gardens have night light up to view the fall colors^

hope this helps you, if you stay there let me know and perhaps we can meet up for a drink...cheers
Old Dec 19, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by Barefootdr
Assuming you mean the ICC in Iwakura( north end of the city)

Q1 & Q2>A: Yes, many people attending conference stay there, and a great location for sightseeing some of the most famous temples & gardens if you have free time---Yes, both bus ( #5 no transfer and walk to bus stop is about 5mins) and subway (which will need to transfer, but easy to do and trains run very often, 10mins wait is usually upper end. Start station is 2mins walk from hotel> terminal station will also put you a short walk to ICC. Price is reasonable, time depending on connections & walking about 30mins...if you find 3 others might consider sharing a Taxi; a little more then subway but more comfortable)

Q3 { or is it Q4 }>A: Depending on when in Nov, let me know as this is the start of Momiji season ( changing maple trees etc) and KYOTO is one of the top tourist destinations in all of Japan.. my advice is to make your reservation NOW, whether staying at Westin Miyako or any hotel in Kyoto.
( This could also effect using taxi as I suggested above due to heavy traffic in both Miyako & Iwakura areas; meter wait time will be outrageous... and subways will be crowded so might take you a little longer )

Good point is Westin Miyako area is very beautiful and if coming in Nov many temples & gardens have night light up to view the fall colors^

hope this helps you, if you stay there let me know and perhaps we can meet up for a drink...cheers
Thanks for the very detailed and useful information. Looks like my conference will be 18th to 22nd November.

Will certainly let you know if I get my talk accepted to present.

I will also heed your advice and book early. Currently base room price is 13,000 Y for those dates. Hope my PLT status will get me a nice upgrade.

Thanks agin!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:20 pm

nonesuch flyer...you're welcome... Yes, that would be a busy time period, even more so on weekends. ¥13,000 is a good base price and will probably go up later: if you can get this rate on a Fr & Sat stay in Nov it is really good!, but that price based room is (usually) a very basic standard rm...as for Plat up, I find that season is usually difficult to expect suites, due to high tourist season as I said, but overall this hotel is very good in doing their best to accommodate Plats when feasible to do so- would think you will get some level of up/service.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:17 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Barefootdr
nonesuch flyer...you're welcome... Yes, that would be a busy time period, even more so on weekends. ¥13,000 is a good base price and will probably go up later: if you can get this rate on a Fr & Sat stay in Nov it is really good!, but that price based room is (usually) a very basic standard rm...as for Plat up, I find that season is usually difficult to expect suites, due to high tourist season as I said, but overall this hotel is very good in doing their best to accommodate Plats when feasible to do so- would think you will get some level of up/service.
I agree with the above, and reiterate that the standard rooms are not very pleasant. I always choose a deluxe room and hope for the upgrade. If no upgrade, I'd hate to be stuck in a standard room.

I'll be arriving at this hotel in 5 days and looking forward to a 5 night stay.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Checked in a few days ago. Given a reg room on the exec floor. I dont see this room being outdated. Breakfast was quite good, better than the reports I read.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by spgflyer
My family and I (husband and 10-year-old twins) will be staying at the WMK in late July and I've reserved a Japanese style room for us on a paid stay through the SPG site (¥13,600/night). Has anyone stayed in this type of room recently, and if so, did it seem they had been updated along with the renovations to some/all of the Western-style rooms? We prefer to stay in Japanese style rooms if we can in Japan (my husband is Japanese-American and we both speak Japanese), but it is also a challenge to find places willing to accommodate 4 people in one room. I plan to email the hotel to explain there will be two kids; at the Westin Osaka, Kobe Bay Sheraton, and Park Hyatt Tokyo they have allowed us to stay in one room without an additional charge because the kids are under 12.

Also, does anyone know if we could use the SPG point upgrade (1500) to get Exec level benefits, even if there are no Japanese style room upgrades?

Thanks in advance for your input.
SPGFlyer, we're in a similar position for a stay coming up in a couple weeks. Did you end up being able to get exec benefits using points, while remaining in a Japanese style room?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
I'm booked into the Hyatt since as a Diamond, I get free breakfast. Do I understand from this thread that Platinums get lounge access and that it includes breakfast? If so, what else is available at the lounge?

Many thanks. This could make it easy to change plans since one night at the HR Kyoto was not available on points.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:01 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by stevens397
I'm booked into the Hyatt since as a Diamond, I get free breakfast. Do I understand from this thread that Platinums get lounge access and that it includes breakfast? If so, what else is available at the lounge?

Many thanks. This could make it easy to change plans since one night at the HR Kyoto was not available on points.
Plat inclusions:

-plat amenity
-exec lounge access incl. breakfast at lounge or main buffet, evening cocktails
-espresso/cookies and juice are available in the lounge all day until around 22.00
-free internet
-free access to gym/pool
-upgrade, if you're lucky
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Plat inclusions:

-plat amenity
-exec lounge access incl. breakfast at lounge or main buffet, evening cocktails
-espresso/cookies and juice are available in the lounge all day until around 22.00
-free internet
-free access to gym/pool
-upgrade, if you're lucky
Platinums get well looked after as you detail above, even if you don't get an updgraded. We were fortunate enough to get a couple of the upgraded rooms (but not suites) with some great views over Kyoto. The buffet breakfast in the restaurant is very nice and quite a step up from a lighter lounge option.

I'd definitely recommend moving a night to the Westin if you have the option stevens397
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
I'd definitely recommend moving a night to the Westin if you have the option stevens397
Stevens397.. I also concur with RAPC & RichardKopf (Konichiwa Richard!)
This a a Plat friendly hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.