Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:35 pm

2 adults and 1 kid

Similar to the post above, I am trying to book a room for 2 adults and 1 10 year old kid. I can’t seem to book a basic king room. Is there any way around it? The only option is a 2 bedroom suite which is above our budget. Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by andrew148
Similar to the post above, I am trying to book a room for 2 adults and 1 10 year old kid. I can’t seem to book a basic king room. Is there any way around it? The only option is a 2 bedroom suite which is above our budget. Thanks!
Book 2 adults in one room and email the hotel. They were happy to accommodate me in a single room with 2 kids but only with existing bedding (no rollaways).
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Does anyone know if the toilet seat warmer can be turned off (so it's not hot)?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
A friend recommended this hotel and we planned a Japan trip around it. Up to this point, I had put off Japan as a "too easy, too close" destination that I can visit when I'm older and/or run out of miles & points (god forbid). The enticement of a high-value hotel redemption pushed it to the forefront and I'm glad it did, as Japan became an instant favorite. The hotel, too, is top notch and a destination in itself. In particular, the onsite gardens and traditional wing (Kasui-en) were unique and lovely.

I timed our visit with the foliage season (late November). I redeemed 4 of the 5 FNCs from the Boundless SUB. The nights were 63k pts each when I first redeemed, just below the max topoff and retailed for 90k yen. Later, some nights dropped to 59k and I rebooked. For the same period in 2024 tho, I'm seeing less than half the cash rate right now (oddly, points rate is still high).

The redemption faced a classic dilemma: I have status, but the FNCs are from a less-status account. We reached out to the hotel asking if they would honor my status as the additional guest, and they graciously agreed. On arrival, we were auto-upgraded to a garden-facing junior suite and had lounge access. I do love Asian properties for their generosity and try to spend all my points there. Breakfast was included in the rate (for all guests it seems), as first mentioned in post #554.

The Westin has a rich history, which adds a lot to the character. Although it is street-facing, the onsite gardens and the historical Kasui-en complex, which are on the upper floors in the back of the property and a lovely stroll, are an oasis in the busy city and feel like a mountain or countryside retreat. I believe these, plus a trail up the mountain, are free to visit for non-guests. Most of the Kasui-en interior are reserved for occupants of that wing, but guests of the modern building can still admire its beautiful garden from a close distance. In late November, vibrant colors are seen in the Aoi-den garden leading up to Kasui-en. These, plus the opulent onsen and free breakfast for all, make the hotel feel like a high-end resort without the resort fee.

Much of the hotel details have been covered upthread within the year or so. I'll add a few things below, but a first thought: this hotel wasn't ideal for me visiting popular temples during a peak season like fall foliage, where getting to popular sites early is of the essence. It's a good 45min+ walk or public transit to Fushimi Inari / Kiyomizudera / Tofukuji. Breakfast starts at 6:30am, and despite my best efforts, it took an hour each time (the curse of good food). Add another half hour for toilet use and getting ready, at least half hour transportation, and it was no earlier than 8:30 before we were ever at any of the sites, near the beginning at the crowd apocalypse. Were I in a no-frills hotel, I could have been at least an hour earlier and just brought some snack bars. On the other hand, the proximity to Philosopher's Path and Keage Incline might be good during sakura. Indeed, on a subsequent visit when I can relax more and actually enjoy the nice area around the hotel, it would be perfect.
  • Agree with mynameisdmoon that miso green onion and beef are great rice ball fillings, and thanks for the ice cream tip! First time having it for breakfast Matcha was great, as was rum raisin.
  • Despite spacious room, the junior suite didn't have a lot of space for putting things. A desk or long bar would have helped.
  • Only 1 toilet in junior suite; not ideal as we often needed to go at the same time (after breakfast was a popular time). The seat warmer was sweat-inducing for me; I found no way to turn it off.
  • Lounge food around dinner time looked great but tasted mediocre.
  • We used the shuttle several times to get to Gion, and Kyoto Station when leaving.
  • We takkyubin'ed our luggage to and from this place; very convenient for a small fee.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this hotel: it's classy, historical, and relaxing.

Hawwk likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:19 pm

Does anyone know if the junior suites have separate living areas that are separated from the bedroom with a door?

There are several junior suites I can book, but the pictures on Marriott.com are confusing as some of the rooms have completely separate living areas (similar to your typical one bedroom suite), whereas others do not.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Traveler56789
Does anyone know if the junior suites have separate living areas that are separated from the bedroom with a door?

There are several junior suites I can book, but the pictures on Marriott.com are confusing as some of the rooms have completely separate living areas (similar to your typical one bedroom suite), whereas others do not.
The photo in the post above yours is a junior suite. There is a door between the living area and bedroom.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Anyone know if the property has bicycles guests can borrow/use?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I will be staying at this hotel for three nights in a couple weeks. We'll arrive via Shinkansen at the Kyoto station around 9pm. Is it easy to walk from the train to the hotel?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I will be staying at this hotel for three nights in a couple weeks. We'll arrive via Shinkansen at the Kyoto station around 9pm. Is it easy to walk from the train to the hotel?
This hotel is an hour walk from Kyoto station. You can take subways from Kyoto station to right beside the hotel but I would recommend just taking a taxi.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This hotel is an hour walk from Kyoto station. You can take subways from Kyoto station to right beside the hotel but I would recommend just taking a taxi.
Do taxis in Kyoto take credit cards or IC cards?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Do taxis in Kyoto take credit cards or IC cards?
Not all of them, but these days many do and usually it's noted with stickers on the window. You won't have trouble finding one that accepts card at Kyoto station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.