Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Executive Lounge. Good news!

One of our contacts at the Hotel sent me a e-mail advising the Lounge will re-open on 1 September 2009. Looks like the regular slate of services.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Right- forgot to mention earlier. i am wondering if "free local calls" are included from the executive club benefits as of now. Below is from the email in june when I asked the exec club in kyoto for the benefits. however when i was there last week i was told no free (local) calls are included.
6:00am-10:00am Continental Breakfast
11:30am-5:30pm Coffee & tea
5:30pm-7:30pm Evening cocktail
7:30pm-10:00pm Coffee & tea

Local call is free.
High speed internet at the Executive Lounge is free.
Or has this perk been cancelled somewhere down time?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Update.

The Lounge was indeed open today for the evening when we checked-in. Beer, wine and hard liquor is still comp.. But we both felt the evening offerings were less than prior.

Also and maybe more important. Access to breakfast buffet versus taking in Lounge. When we checked in we received vouchers for breakfast. Two for each of the nights at the Hotel. Upon returning for dinner my wife asked the front desk if by chance we can "still" take breakfast at the hotel restaurant buffet. The answer was yes. My wife very much enjoyed the buffet in July 2009. Tomorrow we will try the buffet taking our vouchers with us. Will report on progress. This is good news!

The Hotel has a couple large groups in house. I contacted the Hotel prior to our arrival and noted a couple days before that our reservation was upgraded to a suite. Luxury suite to be exact. Here we both also agree that this suite is smaller than ones in past but we are very happy with the upgrade. We have two balconeys with a beautiful view out to the mountains surrounding Kyoto.

One must consider taking the MK Taxi service is flying into KIX. My wife makes our reservations online at the rate all in is 3300 yen. The transport is in a mini van which is not my favorite but the door to door service can not be beat. The MK stand is located to the very far left of the arrivals hall. I do not know if they take walk up reservations on arrival. The extra charge for more than one large piece of luggage is 1000 yen. Please confirm that as I am quoting based upon just hearing my wife comment on in passing.

Regards from Kyoto.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:13 pm

Enjoy Kyoto, RTWSTARALLIANCE. Glad you have the SPG lounge back on line for our upcoming stay in about 6 weeks.

If you and your wife have not been to Miho, the IM Pei museum just out of town, it is one of those experiences of life you will not forget.

Best regards.

Last edited by Life_Platinum; Sep 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm Reason: Requested by poster
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Breakfast on 2 with WEC voucher.

We were indeed able to take the breakfast buffet on the second floor using our Westin Executive Club vouchers given at check-in. The buffet is very very extensive. Not as nice as Tokyo but pretty good. Obanzai items were served in Kyoto style. One might think of these as almost kaiseki style. Small dishes. You can have eggs cooked to order as well a fresh item aka today was pancakes.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Check-in / storage at Kyoto Station.

Do not know where we are on this but after the renovation at Kyoto Station nice to know for sure. Looking at the Station map provided by the Westin noted they have a counter or office. My wife called down and confirmed indeed they do. So we will head out early and leave my luggage at the office. This way we can walked around at leisure before I take the Haruka to KIX. Back in a few days. Regards from Kyoto.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Do not know where we are on this but after the renovation at Kyoto Station nice to know for sure. Looking at the Station map provided by the Westin noted they have a counter or office. My wife called down and confirmed indeed they do. So we will head out early and leave my luggage at the office. This way we can walked around at leisure before I take the Haruka to KIX. Back in a few days. Regards from Kyoto.
Thanks for your detailed reports that will allow many of us to enjoy Kyoto far more because of your dedication to us. Joan and I will carry your posts in our pocket when we again tour Kyoto in about 6 weeks with our daughter, her husband, and our grandchild.

Enjoy.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Note, this office can be difficult to Spot.

This map may imply it opens it the outside (well it did to me). It is actually inside.

Suffice to say, get off the free Westin bus and head directly inside. Turn left and it's along the concourse on the left.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 2, 2009 at 10:16 pm
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Exactly. We just went thru Harvest the convenience store and made that left. Keep walking a bit and it is on the left. Much smaller than before but they still hold luggage until they close at 6PM.

Wagyu beef. We are headed in opposite directions today so stopped at Isetan on the lower level for look for some food. Boy does that place bring back memories of us dating. Upon entering my wife pointed out something she thought was amazing the fact they still had 4 Wagyu beef boxes left. Now I say beef boxes because they are not bento or full meal boxes. No way. It is wagyu beef over rice with a bit of cabbage grilled perfect to taste. They also had a small side of radish on the side. The box was 1600 yen and after passing it up I had to return. Have had wagyu beef before but the price was right. Well kinda. The set was located at a counter in the center coming in from the basement on the left. About 20 paces in. Oh. And I got the last one. Three gone in 10 minutes we were walking around. Oishi. Delicious. Sorry if I got any of that Japanese spelling wrong. From the ANA Lounge at KIX.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Oops. The amenities in our suite are full size Bulgari. That question was coming.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Anyone know the GM at this hotel?

I'd like to send a short "thank you" note for the nice treatment given to my son and his girl last week. They were staying on a cash and points reservation I made for them (yes, I notified the Plat concierge that I would not be staying in the room) and were upgraded to a king suite with a nice welcome sake and a snack. At which point my son (who clearly isn't an FT'er) made sure the hotel knew he wasn't me, and a nice young lady at the fornt desk said "yes, we know, your father purchased this room for you" or words to that effect. Certainly made them - and me - feel special!

So... if any of you have a contact email address for either the GM or the Rooms Mgr, please PM me? Appreciate it,
ST
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

In all the times we have been there never ever met the GM let alone know his/her name. Might I suggest a fax.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:25 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by SportsTech
So... if any of you have a contact email address for either the GM or the Rooms Mgr, please PM me? Appreciate it,
ST
I can forward your comments to them for you. Like me to include your real name and email address as well?

(Gosh! I felt like some florist...LOL)

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:22 am

I was thinking of booking a room here for my upcoming trip. Unfortunately the price for a non-smoking room is a good 30% higher than a non-smoking, what are the chances that I can finagle my way into a non-smoking room when I get there. Should I just bite the bullet and pay the non-smoking rate?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Most hotel rooms in Japan are well maintained. The odor is part of that. That being said at this property we always book the cheapest we can and remain as flexible (aka bed type) as possible at check-in to get a non smoking room. A e-mail to the Hotel also never hurts. IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.