Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Is staying at the Westin for your entire time a option? My wife much prefers the Westin over the Hyatt for many reasons mainly the Lounge and transportation options.

Originally Posted by stevens397
I'm booked into the Hyatt since as a Diamond, I get free breakfast. Do I understand from this thread that Platinums get lounge access and that it includes breakfast? If so, what else is available at the lounge?

Many thanks. This could make it easy to change plans since one night at the HR Kyoto was not available on points.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Barefootdr
Stevens397.. I also concur with RAPC & RichardKopf (Konichiwa Richard!)
This a a Plat friendly hotel
It Is. I was even upgraded to a Junior Suit. Having said that, the Executive Lounge is Not very nice. Small, very limited offering during coctail hour and overall not a very pleasant setting. Still can recommend the Hotel.
S
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I just booked 3 nights in mid-April at the Westin Kyoto using cash plus points.

I only have gold status. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting an upgraded room with access to the exec lounge?
I've had good luck in the last couple years in other places (Panama, Vietnam) and have come to appreciate the benefits (breakfast, free wifi) of the lounges. But after reading this thread it seems like they only give upgrades to Platinum members?

If I don't get an upgrade, any recs for places for breakfast close to the hotel?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I would reach out to the Hotel via e-mail. They are responsive. But this is Japan and mostly by the book. A pleasant request upon arrival goes along ways always regardless of location.

If you walk back towards the city there are places but have never noted them being open real early. We usually pick something up the night before along with some juice if we will be required to use hotel restaurants.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will email them.

Another option would be for us to spend one of our 3 nights in Osaka. There are both a Westin and Sheraton there, both with cash+points available for our dates. Would it be worth it to move? How are those hotels?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I would not. The Sheraton was great to me (see post) but that is usually not the case. The Westin is nice but off the path. It took me a decade after 40 plus trips to Japan for me to visit Osaka Castle. That tells you something. Kyoto is it. Beautiful. I do not think the Westin Kyoto will disapoint you.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by wired2theworld
Thanks for the reply. I will email them.

Another option would be for us to spend one of our 3 nights in Osaka. There are both a Westin and Sheraton there, both with cash+points available for our dates. Would it be worth it to move? How are those hotels?
December 2010, we had 5-night stay in Kyoto, followed by 1-night in Osaka. Upgraded with points to executive floor in both places. Kyoto was better than Osaka in all aspects, including location, service, and comfort. We ended up visiting Kobe for the night we slept in Osaka. I would not recommend moving.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:20 am

Thanks for the advice. We will stay in Kyoto for the 3 nights.

I emailed the hotel and politely asked for a king room with a view and if possible, an upgrade to an Exec level room.

They replied 2 days later, saying that my request for a king room with view had been noted. They politely neglected to mention the other upgrade request.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

I would leave the type of bed open end with the Hotel. It will increase your chances of a upgrade.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Stay 3 Getway Free redemption?

So I'm planning to earn a couple of resort nights and the Westin Kyoto seems to be the nicest of the choices in Japan. Also, it's in Kyoto!

I see it has Japanese rooms which I would prefer. Are these rooms available for redemption?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:53 pm

Stayed there with a rate lower than 100 Euros. Was upgraded to an executive deluxe room with balcony and view over Kyoto. Lounge access was included. Breakfast in the restaurant was also offered.

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....to-miyako.html
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
Stayed there with a rate lower than 100 Euros. Was upgraded to an executive deluxe room with balcony and view over Kyoto. Lounge access was included. Breakfast in the restaurant was also offered.

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....to-miyako.html
Thanks for posting the photos! How were you able to get such a low rate???
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for posting the photos! How were you able to get such a low rate???
Rates in summer are low. Book in advance and get a reduced rate.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:28 am

I wanted to follow up on my question here, since we did end up staying here in April using cash + SPG Points.
I'm an SPG Gold member, so I asked about an upgrade to a club room on arrival and was told this was only given to Platnium level guests. We were offered the upgrade for an extra 1500 SPG points per night which included access to the club lounge and breakfast vouchers which could be used for the full breakfast buffet. We took this option.
We weren't thrilled with the first room we were given but after asking about other rooms, they ended up giving us a very nice and spacious Junior Suite on the 8th floor.
We very much enjoyed our stay there. It's a little out of town, but the hotel shuttle and the subway stop next door make it convenient. The buffet breakfast was fantastic and worth it (to us) for the upgrade cost alone.

My full review, plus photos of both rooms, is on my blog;
http://www.wired2theworld.com/2011/0...-hotel-review/
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice review and photos, w2w. Very useful info as my wife and I plan to be there in early November. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.