Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
You are welcome.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:47 am

I can't seem to find any availability at this hotel for an upcoming trip in Nov. Is this a boutique property with small number of rooms that can be sold out months in advance?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:05 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I can't seem to find any availability at this hotel for an upcoming trip in Nov. Is this a boutique property with small number of rooms that can be sold out months in advance?
Over 500 rooms. Maybe there's a conference on, or a holiday.
November 23 (national holiday)
Labour Thanksgiving Day (kinro kansha no hi):
A national holiday for honoring labour.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
It is very common for hotels in Japan to be booked solid during holidays let alone as would be suspected conferences. We had the same issue earlier this month the holiday where my wife needed a Friday night. It did eventually become available using free weekend nights. I never went back to see the rate or if available on cash and points. You may want to book the Hyatt with points then keep checking back to the Westin if that is the hotel you prefer in Japan. Enjoy Kyoto.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:25 am

Is it foolish of me to change my planned 2 night Kyoto stay to Osaka, instead? The new St Regis looks pretty interesting. Since we have been to Kyoto before (staying at Hyatt and loved the town and hotel), but not to Osaka, I thought it could be an option...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:27 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Is it foolish of me to change my planned 2 night Kyoto stay to Osaka, instead? The new St Regis looks pretty interesting. Since we have been to Kyoto before (staying at Hyatt and loved the town and hotel), but not to Osaka, I thought it could be an option...
The two cities are very different. Osaka's culture seems to revolve manly around food. It's the food capital of Japan. From Umeda station ( a short subway ride from nearly anywhere in Osaka) it's around 40 mins to the middle of Kyoto and costs around five bucks. If you have sightseeing in mind, you should arrive to Kyoto station, instead of the city centre, though, as there are buses outside to take you to all the main sights.

We usually spend 5 days in either Osaka or Kyoto, each trip,and make the train trip to the other once or twice. This year it's Kyoto, but mainly because I could get a five night stay there on points.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like you might be using FWNs for either hotel. If that is the case book the SR then move to Westin if it becomes available. If you are being a Kyoto tourist of course the Westin is preferred. Remember also the SR will not have a Lounge. In Osaka being a tourist for culture is very limited versus Kyoto.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Calcifer
We're planning a trip to Japan and I see that the Westin Kyoto has a "Recharge" rate for the nights we're looking for at 15,000 yen (incl. taxes) that includes breakfast and late checkout for a King Deluxe room. I am fairly tempted by this but haven't stayed at the Westin in many years and am still a little traumatized by memories of the unrenovated rooms. Neither my fiance nor I have any SPG status, so we will need to (gasp) pay to get what we want.

Booking a Deluxe should pretty much mean I get a decent room, right? (The same rate for the Superior is only 1,000 yen less so it definitely seems worth it to pay up a little.) And while the reservation only shows smoking as a choice, I'm assuming I have a pretty decent chance of a non-stinky room if I write a preference for non-smoking in the comments, and don't check in too late.

Thoughts/advice?
Here's an update; we checked out yesterday.

I took a status match to obtain SPG Gold and asked for the reservation and points to be credited to my account upon checkin. We were given a room on the 8th floor, overlooking the courtyard.

The room was on the small side and had a queen-sized bed and older 20" CRT TV. I'm not sure if this room constituted any sort of upgrade but it was unremarkable but clean and quiet.

The breakfast was exceptional and we enjoyed the Japanese and Western offerings. The staff were all very friendly and courteous and the free shuttle to/from the train station and Gion was a nice benefit.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 19, 2010 at 8:08 pm
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:57 am

Likelihood of getting upgrade as SPG Gold at Westin Miyako Kyoto

Traveling to Japan in early til mid December and am wondering about gold benefits at Westin Kyoto. Is breakfast automatic? Also odds of getting onto executive floor. Our stay should be before Xmas high season. Would it be worthwhile to email the GM? Haven't had much luck previously with SPG properties and special treatment even when we were plat. Although am loathe to say it, HH treats us better.
Would like to hear about others' experiences and advice to maximize our chances. Most interested in lounge access to save $$ on food.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

I HIGHLY recommend contacting the Hotel via e-mail. At least you will know in advance what to expect as a Gold. Having just been in touch with the Hotel I can assure you they remain attentive and timely. There very soon.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:06 am

No gold upgrade at westin kyoto......sad

well i wrote to the westin miyako kyoto to inquire about gold privileges and i almost wish i hadn't; no bennies and no chance of upgrade. i can use 15k points PER NIGHT to get onto the executive floor but i don't want to blow thru all our points as we will go to kauai in the spring and i have my eye on the st. regis princeville.

can any golds tell me if they have EVER gotten a nice upgrade at this property?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I HIGHLY recommend contacting the Hotel via e-mail. At least you will know in advance what to expect as a Gold. Having just been in touch with the Hotel I can assure you they remain attentive and timely. There very soon.
RTW, whom do you suggest I write to?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:08 am
Original Poster

[email protected]

This e-mail address gets quick response. In terms of contact that seems to change regularly here. So I just always start with this e-mail address. I think some golds have reported upgrades. A courteous request even at check-in always helps. No sure it will get you Lounge access.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:03 am

Thanks, RTW.

Booked 2 Kasuien rooms (at 32,000Y and no breakfast!) for a family of 4. Had to convince them to spend a night in Kyoto. They originally intended to spend the whole trip (5 days) in Osaka.

Hoping Westin Kyoto would at least let them pop into the lounge at 10/11 th floor to take in the beautiful city view of Kyoto.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by yihao69

Hoping Westin Kyoto would at least let them pop into the lounge at 10/11 th floor to take in the beautiful city view of Kyoto.
The 10th floor, where drinks/amenities are served, is monitored for lounge access a little more seriously then the 11th floor. You should have no problem getting off the elevator with your family for some time to enjoy the 180` views from there. However,as the 10th floor is for socializing, the 11th floor is the "Library", a quite space... so if you have younger children and they are not noisy, I've never seen anyone asked to leave or to show that they have lounge access if being quiet- 10th floor access is regularly checked for new faces.

Hope your family enjoys their night stay in a great city...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.