Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very nice, balanced review, AZ. We're planning on staying there in a couple of weeks, but now might reconsider the Hyatt.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
AZ was very kind indeed. With regret for the Hotel it is not possible for me to muster that much kindness when they want to take our money, points or both. I know AZ made effort so a reasonable request for a upgrade as it was available should have been honored. I would have been on my Japanese cell phone calling SPG Plat line in the US for them to "reach" back.

I have the serious feeling the Miyako hotels chain are rethinking their relationship with SPG and to what extent they wish to honor the full benefits we have all earned. Case in point with the Miyako Sheraton Osaka asking which program one wants credit for- SPG or Miyako Plus programs. It was great getting both but that has run its course. We may be in Kyoto in November and I am going with the Hyatt. That GM knows how to run a hotel!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Stayed at the Westin Osaka too and found no accessible electrical outlets near the work desk...just across the room by the TV! Also find the lack of wifi versus wired Internet most unusual in Japan.

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I just read Shareholder's comments about the recent stay. One comment reminded of me of a significant irritation I neglected to mention -- there was not one single available electrical outlet in my room. Not one. I was going to have to unplug something in order to plug in anything.

In this day of electronic connectivity I find this simply ridiculous. Do hotel managers really think we come to their establishments without computers, phones, or other devices that require electricity? Or do they just not care that they force us to crawl around on the floor, having to choose which light, TV, water pot or refrigerator we're going to go without? Either is totally unacceptable.

When I encounter this, I don't hesitate to call housekeeping and request a power strip. On this occasion, it took a couple of trips and all of my charades skills, but the extremely helpful English-challenged staff member ultimately came up with one.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
No in room wifi. Same case in Sheraton Miyako Osaka. Have to use iPad at Lounge when open or in lobby. Dumb for the most tech oriented country in the world.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
No in room wifi. Same case in Sheraton Miyako Osaka. Have to use iPad at Lounge when open or in lobby. Dumb for the most tech oriented country in the world.
I was really surprised by this as well.

Fortunately, I did my homework before this trip and given that 2 of 3 hotels I was staying at did not offer in-room wifi -- at all -- I arranged to rent a 'MiFi' device.

It was lightening fast. It was shipped to my first hotel and I put it in a prepaid envelope and dropped it in the mail on my last day. It was 6900 Yen for a week, but for me, was well worth the cost. If anyone is interested, you can find it here. I had the 'Type B' device.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. That is excellent info.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Had a wonderful meet-up last week at the Miyako with slocouple & thunderroad for some nice walks with beautiful weather.

And all of us were given great room upgrades !
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Good job. We are on property soon and hoping for a decent room upgrade experience also.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Barefootdr
Had a wonderful meet-up last week at the Miyako with slocouple & thunderroad for some nice walks with beautiful weather.

And all of us were given great room upgrades !
Thanks for arranging the good weather, BTW. <grin> Our one misty, rainy day was simply atmospheric. The rest of our 6 days were beautiful, as is this property.

Last edited by slocouple; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:36 am
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Good job. We are on property soon and hoping for a decent room upgrade experience also.
Have now tried your tonkatsu recommendations in Hakone and Kyoto -- wowsers to both of them! For atmosphere and a slice of local life, Hakone wins by a nose, but we really think maybe we liked the tonkatsu better at Wako (Isetan Food Floor). Thanks for steering us to both.^
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Glad you enjoyed them both. Those cuts in Hakone are amazing!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

We are on property very soon. My e-mail exchanges with the Westin certainly are not encouraging as they used to be in regards to upgrades. Wish us luck.

We will be doing a car tour with friends of Shiga which goes along with the current NHK Taiga drama Gou. This will be a day trip. The evening before we will meet them in Kyoto for dinner then the day after the trip depart early back to Osaka. From Osaka we want to see Wakayama, Ise and possibly Kamakura. If my wife really wants to shop then I should get a pass to make my way to HND in Tokyo to ride the 787. Will update more soon.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:49 am
Original Poster

My wife did give me the go on the 787 but getting to Haneda in kinda a pain from here.

We arrived early and fortunately our room was being cleaned. Upgrade to a junior suite. Now this did not mean much in Osaka but the junior suites on floor 11 are very very very very nice. You can live in this place. We actually like it more than some of the suites we have received here. The room has a microwave and toaster warmer with a huge frig. This room is made for entertaining. I will leave it at that knowing Japan.

Toei Kyoto Studio Park. I have always heard of this place but never made it over. My tomodachi said he would be my guide if I took the subway. I took the subway next to the Hotel to Ujimasa Tengingawa. That is the last stop headed towards Kyoto. When you exit the wicket in Uzumasa Tenjingawa there is a tram system. Go to the platform and look back at the Station. You want to take it to the right. The stop will be Uzumasa Koryu-ji. When we exited the tram cross the street. I noted a temple to the left which looked very interesting. It happened to be Koryu-ji Temple. The temple is said to have been founded in 603. This Temple houses (the treasure hall) the very first declared National Treasure in Japan. Declared in 1951. It was amazing. There is a fee to enter. Exit the Temple as you entered for the Studio.

When you exit break a left and round the corner. Walk about five minutes. You will see the Park on your left. Now this is not an amazing park but for the price worth it. There are a number of shows and you can see sets created for filming. The lot is active. I was surprised it was much larger than expected. Lots of kids and the anime must have been special because people (guys) seemed to be emotional for some reason. Upon exiting there is a bus stop to the right. We caught the bus for Sanjo Keihan. The fare was like 220 yen. It put us back into downtown Kyoto where we were to meet our wives for dinner. Dinner was at our fav restuarant in Kyoto. My wife tells me our cooked to order set menu meal with our grilled chicken (yum) was 2200 yen. If anyone wants a card picked up a few. PM me. Tomorrow we are off to Shiga.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Nov 22, 2011 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Named junior suite on 11th floor.

I remembered from past trips none of our suites were named. I walked the floor on 11 and did indeed note none of the "suites" have names except the one we occupied. Some had Japanese symbols but only one symbol. Our named junior suite on 11 was in English. I think it may be possibly a specialty junior suite. It is done pretty nice so suspect the Miyako is not spending this type of money on all the junior suites. In terms of style it is nothing like any full suite we have ever had here.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Nagahama day trip.

As a FYI. Nagahama and Oumihachiman can be done in one day.

From Kyoto Station take the JR Biwako line to Nagahama. This town was more interesting than I thought. Nagahama Castle, Nagahama Hikiyama (float) Matsuri (festival) museum, Toyotomi Hideyoshi's (Toyokuni) shrine and a statue near JR Nagahama Station depicting the first time Hideyoshi met Akechi Mitsunari. Along the streets you will find many shops of which yam treats are sold along with a great Japanese pickle store. The museum aka float is very interesting as Nagahama's has 400 years of history and is among the three most significant in Japan. Everything mentioned is easily done walking. This all being said three trips noted were done by us having visited Japan many times during the last dozen years. So they are met for someone looking for things to do. I do highly recommend Oumihachiman as that was really interesting and yum!

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Nov 24, 2011 at 4:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.