Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Nice review and photos, w2w. Very useful info as my wife and I plan to be there in early November. Thanks!
I'll also be there in November...maybe see you in the lounge . Is this your first stay in Kyoto?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Hi Bdr,

I've been to Tokyo briefly a couple of times, but yep, this is our first time in Kyoto. We'll be there the first week of November for six nights. When will you be there?

More generally, if you have any advice on various aspects of our stay, I'd welcome them, either here in this thread or via a pm if that's better. I'd of course appreciate any suggestions on which rooms are best (and worst) and how to best secure the best upgrade as a Platinum. We'll be there on points, FWIW, unless cash + points options open up for our dates.

If you have any advice on a relatively moderately priced Ryokan in Kyoto at which to spend a night, that also would be great. Taking a quick look at Tripadvisor, which I realize is not always the best source, Ryokan Shimizu gets good reviews and prices out at less than $200/night for a couple.

Right now we're planning day trips from Kyoto to Nara, because I hear great things about it, and to Osaka, where I have an old friend to see. Does that make sense? Any other recommendations, in or beyond Kyoto? We of course don't want to spend too much time running around.

Of course, if you don't have time to deal with all of these queries, no problem.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Nice review and photos, w2w. Very useful info as my wife and I plan to be there in early November. Thanks!
We're 2 more Californians who will be at the Westin Miyako for 2 nights, Nov. 4 & 5. Give us a shout if you're of a mind to.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:29 pm

Thunderroad...Yes, I think using Westin Miyako & staying in Kyoto as base for day trips to those other places is good. Utilizing hotel shuttle or nearby subway station will both easily get you to various train stations for Osaka & Nara. I'll send you a PM in a few days regarding your other questions...cheers

slocouple...looks like we'll have a SPG Cal block party in the lounge ( I've lived in LA & Santa Barbara)

Last edited by Barefootdr; Jul 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by slocouple
We're 2 more Californians who will be at the Westin Miyako for 2 nights, Nov. 4 & 5. Give us a shout if you're of a mind to.
Originally Posted by Barefootdr
Thunderroad...Yes, I think using Westin Miyako & staying in Kyoto as base for day trips to those other places is good. Utilizing hotel shuttle or nearby subway station will both easily get you to various train stations for Osaka & Nara. I'll send you a PM in a few days regarding your other questions...cheers

slocouple...looks like we'll have a SPG Cal block party in the lounge ( I've lived in LA & Santa Barbara)
Well, I've never done an FT meet-up before, but this sounds like a good time to start...if you current and former Southern Californians will let a Northern Californian couple join in. We're there the nights of Nov. 1-6, except possibly the first night when we might stay at a ryokan. Bdr, any advice you could offer would be most welcome.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:38 pm

Well, I've never done an FT meet-up before, but this sounds like a good time to start...if you current and former Southern Californians will let a Northern Californian couple join in. We're there the nights of Nov. 1-6, except possibly the first night when we might stay at a ryokan. Bdr, any advice you could offer would be most welcome.
We have a family house on Lake California in Redding..so I'm half in with you NoCalies as well as slocouple in the SoCal
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Japanese Guesthouse Kasui-en?

The hotel's website mentions a 20-room Japanese Guesthouse Kasui-en on the grounds, but then seems to provide no further information. I've found one favorable review of it here at FT in the Japan forum and one very disappointed one at Tripadvisor. Searched this thread and couldn't find anything.

Has any one stayed in it? And if so, would you recommend it?

FWIW, as noted in a previous post, my wife and I will be at the Westin Kyoto on an award stay in early November. I assume the Guesthouse is a pale imitation of a real ryokan and that it does not have any views of the countryside, but would still be interested in whether folks recommend trying it as opposed to a regular room and as opposed to whatever upgrade I might get as a Platinum.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:41 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
The hotel's website mentions a 20-room Japanese Guesthouse Kasui-en on the grounds, but then seems to provide no further information. I've found one favorable review of it here at FT in the Japan forum and one very disappointed one at Tripadvisor. Searched this thread and couldn't find anything.

Has any one stayed in it? And if so, would you recommend it?
I am not sure you can translate this site in english, there are several reviews regarding this Ryokan.

http://www.ikyu.com/dg/guide/acc7/00...00001027d.aspx

This is not a Guest House.
Architectually, this was build by famous Japanese Architect who introduced modern western style to old japanese houses.
It is highly regarded.

So I would say this is a Ryokan.

I read a lot of positive reviews with some negative, especially small bathroom.

If you have not stayed Ryokan before, this could be a good option for a day or two.
They have deifferent rate structure, some including Dinner/Breakfast, and some without any meals.
Please be careful that Ryokan rate is usually based on per person, not a per room.

There is the Okami(Generral Manager-must be a lady) who greets you when you check in.

If you want to feel something different, I would recommend it.

I am not sure you can get any benefits as the platinum member? - upgrade, free internet, late check out so you should make sure before you confirm the stay.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Tak
I am not sure you can translate this site in english, there are several reviews regarding this Ryokan.

http://www.ikyu.com/dg/guide/acc7/00...00001027d.aspx

Try this:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:51 am

Great stay

I've stayed once at this property back in 2008 and enjoyed it.

This time was even better. I did a one-night $+PTS stay, on a Thursday night (Sep 29th). As a Platinum member was upgraded to a very large one-bedroom suite on their Club floor (same floor as the lounge).

Again impressed with the hotel itself, the room and the club (though I miss the large glass jars filled with cookies—the plate isn't as much fun <grin>).

Only one complaint: I wish the bus from Kyoto station ran a bit later (even one more trip would have helped me!). Though taking the subway wasn't a big deal.

I must say the very large (for a hotel) Bulgari Shampoo/conditioner containers were a surprise: very nice... I'd hate to think what they would cost in a store.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Stayed there a few days ago.

They served a very nice traditional Japanese breakfast (served on a tray, not buffet style) in their Shisen restaurant on the 3rd floor (free for plats as well). It was a great (and healthy) alternative to the crowded buffet on the 2nd floor.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Used my Resort free night here last night. Arrived around 11am told check-in was 3p and there were no rooms cleaned yet in the category I was being upgraded to. Was offered the use of the Fitness Centre to wash up and change, then lounge until a room was ready. By the time I finished in the Fitness Centre and returned to the front desk, they had a room for me. However, hardly an upgrade, just a standard SPG Floor king bed. Didn't push it for either a suite or a Club level room, though would have enjoyed having Bvlgari instead of the house brand!

One problem I found was with access to electrical outlets. There is a dual plug on the desk (none other accessible at floor level) but to use the internet one of those is used by the electrical transformer box on the modem. For those of us with Mac transformer/plugs (and probably those of other PCs) it is impossible to have both plugged in at the same time. Most annoying!

Didn't have the shuttle sked so used the subway to get from Kyoto Station after taking the Airport Limousine Bus from KIX at 8:50a. Station is just around the bend from the hotel. Plan to take the shuttle back to Kyoto Station for the train down to Osaka. Took a pleasant walk through the "forest" behind the hotel, up a long pathway. Great views of the city to the north.

FYI: As for the Hotel Shuttle, it leaves from the hotel at 15 and 45 after the hour and on the hour and half hour from the station at the usual drop off/pick up spot at Kyoto Station. If you're coming in on the KIX bus, just cross the street to the station and walk up just past the first main entrance and this is where hotel buses to their thing.

Last edited by Shareholder; Oct 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
It seems the hotel is not treating Ps as good as before. This is having a direct bearing on our Nov trip. Also from the Sheraton Miyako Osaka can report you are nolonger able to earn both SPG and Miyako Plus points. The later being their legacy program which must still be in place. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Mixed review

I just spent three nights at this property. Overall, the stay was fine, but it didn't start out well.

I am Platinum. Upon arrival, agent told me that I was not upgraded because the hotel was "fully booked." I politely commented, "Oh, Really? There are no suites or junior suites available for a Platinum upgrade?" I knew there was ample availability of rooms and various suites online when I checked in the morning before leaving Tokyo. There was virtually no way the "fully booked" line was true.

The agent clicked around on the computer and clearly found something. She wrote down a room number and said, "let me check with my associate." She went over to the lady at the next station and they whispered to each other and clicked around on the computer. She came back and handed me the keys she had previously made. No mention of the obvious "no" she just received from the supervisor. (I know it's a cultural thing, so I politely thank her, smile, and walk away fuming.)

The non-club basic room was small with an interior view of an overgrown, weed-ridden Japanese garden. (very poor form, IMO) The room was fine. It was what I booked. But higher level rooms and various suites remained available online through the duration of my 3-day stay. It's hard for me to warm up to a property when this is how my stay begins.

Platinum members are given access to the lounge, which offers continental breakfast in the morning, or a more comprehensive buffet breakfast in the restaurant on the second floor. This is a nice benefit. I didn't go upstairs in the evening, so I can't attest to that service in the lounge.

I liked the location in terms of its proximity to the subway line. There is also a courtesy shuttle to the train station, which can save you on taxi rides to and from, if you're so inclined. I took taxis, which were reasonable.

Having stayed previously at the Hyatt Regency, I don't think there is much comparison in terms of the overall quality of the hotel, room (bed and bathroom), or staff. Hyatt wins on each count. Westin wins on the transportation/access front. For moving around via mass transit as a tourist, the latter weighs heavier than I would prefer as I would choose the Hyatt next time on every other count.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
One more thing

I just read Shareholder's comments about the recent stay. One comment reminded of me of a significant irritation I neglected to mention -- there was not one single available electrical outlet in my room. Not one. I was going to have to unplug something in order to plug in anything.

In this day of electronic connectivity I find this simply ridiculous. Do hotel managers really think we come to their establishments without computers, phones, or other devices that require electricity? Or do they just not care that they force us to crawl around on the floor, having to choose which light, TV, water pot or refrigerator we're going to go without? Either is totally unacceptable.

When I encounter this, I don't hesitate to call housekeeping and request a power strip. On this occasion, it took a couple of trips and all of my charades skills, but the extremely helpful English-challenged staff member ultimately came up with one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.