Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Platinum Requalification Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Hit Platminus25 last month, and will be P50 by September for 8th year. I expect to reach about 65 nights by end 2017 but since those won't get me any status at another program I might as well keep them within SPG.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agree, but P75 does have Your24 (which can come in handy for International arrivals in the early AM). And the 25% bump in Starpoints will culminate in faster earnings and better reward redemptions. That said, if it's a huge effort I wouldn't chase either. But it's a decent level and (just my opinion), the levels above P50 likely have better suite upgrade chances (although I have no data to support... just a feeling from my stays).

As for P100 - it's ymmv. Some have excellent Ambassadors which make the level worthwhile. Others have poor Ambassadors which make the level worthless (since that is the only benefit provided). It's a gamble and as such I wouldn't recommend chasing this level unless it requires minimal to no effort.
One of the lurkers stated at one point that all platinums are identified the same in the system. The only difference comes when a specific benefit is passed along (eg, Your24) which can only come from a P75+ but still just shows the user as a Platinum.

Oddly, as a regular Platinum myself, I've sometimes been offered the Your24 benefit.

As a quick calculation, if one were at 74 nights and simply paid $100 for an extra room night to bump up to 75 nights, it would take roughly 30 nights at $150/night to breakeven on points valued at $0.022/pt.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:51 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
So, I'll requalify for PLT with 25 stays and have 37 nights when I get back from a Europe and US trip in Sept (staying with friends and family often in the US) and not sure what the balance of the year will hold. Like the SNA's from PLT50 that I'm using this year. However, the weather is so good in BKK and Thailand from Nov to March, so I'm thinking it would be nice to just stay home. 50 nights are not guaranteed. Well, maybe a little Malaysian mattress run would be good as well.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
One of the lurkers stated at one point that all platinums are identified the same in the system. The only difference comes when a specific benefit is passed along (eg, Your24) which can only come from a P75+ but still just shows the user as a Platinum.

Oddly, as a regular Platinum myself, I've sometimes been offered the Your24 benefit.

As a quick calculation, if one were at 74 nights and simply paid $100 for an extra room night to bump up to 75 nights, it would take roughly 30 nights at $150/night to breakeven on points valued at $0.022/pt.
If the lurkers said this they are wrong, the system identifies P100 differently in the system (can't speak to P75 however). I have been greeted at numerous hotels as "Platinum Ambassador and P100". For agents to greet me in this way proves the system at least identifies the Plat 100s separately.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
If the lurkers said this they are wrong, the system identifies P100 differently in the system (can't speak to P75 however). I have been greeted at numerous hotels as "Platinum Ambassador and P100". For agents to greet me in this way proves the system at least identifies the Plat 100s separately.
OR could have been that the front desk clerk saw that your Ambassador had contacted the hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by controller1
OR could have been that the front desk clerk saw that your Ambassador had contacted the hotel.
NO, it wasn't. If you think my Ambassador contacts each property I stay in before I go - you clearly haven't met my Ambassador! lol!

In one case they showed me a sheet which had my picture on it, which is supplied by SPG to the property so they can properly greet P100s. In fact the picture was "older" and she said initially she didn't recognize me. So I had to update SPG with a new pic. Guess I'm looking younger these days ^

In another she looked directly at her system which said, Platinum Ambassador. The properties (at least some of them) recognize/track the different levels.

Why don't you test this next time you show up at the hotel... simply politely ask at check in if they can see you're Platinum (clearly they can) and then ask if they can see specifically which level you are within Platinum?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Ive had about 30 or so stays this year from Asia to North America to Africa to Europe to South America (5 continents) and not once have I been called Ambassador Platinum by front desk. They just call me Platinum. This wasnt the case before but i also noticed that since the official merger with Marriott, I am getting less of the Ambassador "perks" that I used to get like freebies such as wine/dessert/etc.

Anyways, sitting at 71 nights currently with about 20 more nights upcoming September. All vacation travel. Should easily hit 100 again 4th straight year

As for Platinum level, i remember in Alfonso Seville last year that ive been told by their loyalty manager that they cannot distinguish one platinum from another except when the Ambassador makes a request or something. But I also remember that on other hotel systems, they get a ping or a flag whenever a Plat100 is about to check in, so i guess it is different for each property
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
It also appears as an option on some of my reservations, and may be dependent on the check-in and check-out times I choose on SPG.com. I've never received emails about it or actually used the benefit, so it could just be a programming bug (I requalified as a Platinum 50 last year with just shy of 70 nights).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
I have a little slow progress with SPG this year primarily due to rather lucrative HHonors promos (and absence of SPG hotels in some of the places I travel to).

I will be hitting 25 stays/50 nights about the same time in September and have good chances to end the year with 75+ nights again.

My question is that SPR and Marriott are supposed to get integrated "sometimes in 2018". Do we know for sure that SPG 75+ benefits stay for the next membership year and not affected by the incoming integration?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Re-qualified today at 50 nights largely based on a double EQN promotion that I took advantage of in April. Should be able to make P75 for the first time this year.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hit 75 last week, 100 should be in the bag before T-giving

I have been greeted at numerous hotels as "Platinum Ambassador and P100". For agents to greet me in this way proves the system at least identifies the Plat 100s separately.
Wow...I think I can count on one hand over the past 3 years how many times I have been thanked at check-in as an Ambassador guest. YMMV.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Hit 100 nights a few days ago for the first time in 10 years of being Platinum.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:31 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Crossed 75 recently - should be across the 100 hump and requalifying for Ambassador by early November or so.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently I hit 25 stays and therefore LTP as well as PlatMinus for next year. I needed the tenth year of Plat although I'm well over 500 nights. In most years recently, I've been hitting 25 stays and 50 nights around the same time, although there have been some exceptions.

However, my dashboard still shows me as Lifetime Gold, even though the next section with the semicircular moving graph says that I need 0 more lifetime nights and 0 more years as Plat for lifetime Plat. I wonder how long it takes to update and recognize my LTP status.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:43 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Requalified for Platinum 100 with my 100th night yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.