Search

2018 Platinum Requalification Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
2018 Platinum Requalification Roll Call

Tomorrow night is the earliest opportunity to re-qualify for SPG Platinum, possibly for the last time ever.

Who's first?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by CPRich
Tomorrow night is the earliest opportunity to re-qualify for SPG Platinum, possibly for the last time ever.

Who's first?
- I am not the first but, potentially, one could re-qualify for SPG PLT much earlier than tomorrow based on nights:
1) Personal and Business Amex will credit you 2x5=10 qualifying nights beginning of Jan.
2) If you run an event at SPG hotel, you will be earning 1 qualifying night per 20 room-nights booked up to total 20 nights per event.
3) In the past (I cannot find this in terms and conditions now) one could get a credit up to 3 rooms booked (if a member stays in one of the rooms and pays for all three room). So one could get 51 qualifying nights (SPG PLT) after paying for 3 rooms for 17 nights.

By combining 1+2+3 one could be a new SPG PLT already!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
True. But hardcore old-timers do it the right way....
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
You could already classify, though not re-classify as a platinum with a platinum challenge on the 19th of January by having an 18 nights stay starting on the 1st.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
If a member is a Vistana Signature 5-Star Elite, he/she could prepay their 2018 maintenance fee on January 1, 2017 and qualify for 2018 SPG Platinum status on that date. However, I know of no incentive to do this other than being able to post on FT!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
You could already classify, though not re-classify as a platinum with a platinum challenge on the 19th of January by having an 18 nights stay starting on the 1st.
The first day to classify with Platinum challenge was January 6th. 6 days in a different hotels with 3 rooms in each. 18 nights total.
The first day to re-qualify was in January 10th. 9 days in a different hotels(at least two different) with 3 rooms in each except the last with 1 room. 25 stays in total.

The hardcore way!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
I just completed a platinum challenge, but my understanding is that this is only good for maintaining status through to end-Feb 2018; to re-qualify for plat through to Dec 2018 (and presumably till the end of the SPG programme) I'll need another 20 stays/43 nights.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jaenks
The first day to classify with Platinum challenge was January 6th. 6 days in a different hotels with 3 rooms in each. 18 nights total.
The first day to re-qualify was in January 10th. 9 days in a different hotels(at least two different) with 3 rooms in each except the last with 1 room. 25 stays in total.

The hardcore way!
Originally Posted by horizontal
I just completed a platinum challenge, but my understanding is that this is only good for maintaining status through to end-Feb 2018; . . .
horizontal, you are correct. The only way a Platinum challenge will qualify for 2018 would be one completed after March 1, 2017.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by controller1
horizontal, you are correct. The only way a Platinum challenge will qualify for 2018 would be one completed after March 1, 2017.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
I'd considered shifting stays to delay the completion of my challenge to qualify through to 2018, but figured I might as well enjoy plat through 2017 (since who knows what 2018 will bring!)

Am in any case on my way to requalifying for 2018...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Platinum Vakid till Feb 2019

According to post 642 the lurkers confirm that we can complete the challenge anytime after Jan 1 and the status will be valid till Feb 2019. Sorry for not linking that post, I am on the Andean Explorer with a spotty connection. But I am worried since I have completed 16 nights on the challenge already.

Originally Posted by horizontal
I'd considered shifting stays to delay the completion of my challenge to qualify through to 2018, but figured I might as well enjoy plat through 2017 (since who knows what 2018 will bring!)

Am in any case on my way to requalifying for 2018...
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich

Who's first?
At this point....what's the point? Plenty of time to re-qualify if, when, they announce how the program gets butchered.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by levistrauss
According to post 642 the lurkers confirm that we can complete the challenge anytime after Jan 1 and the status will be valid till Feb 2019. Sorry for not linking that post, I am on the Andean Explorer with a spotty connection. But I am worried since I have completed 16 nights on the challenge already.
I've posted a request in the Challenge Master Thread asking William to opine on this. Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by levistrauss
William (Starwood Lurker) has confirmed that your interpretation of Post 642 in that thread is incorrect. The Wiki Post in that thread has the correct information and it is shown below:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Wow

Originally Posted by controller1
William (Starwood Lurker) has confirmed that your interpretation of Post 642 in that thread is incorrect. The Wiki Post in that thread has the correct information and it is shown below:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Thanks for double checking. I am going to be in Europe all of next week, in non SPG hotels, apparently:-)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As a swansong to the enjoyment since enrolling in SPG in 2012, I've just finished my stays and requalified for 2018 as of today.

It's been a good 5+ years and 200 odd nights as a SPG Platinum! Always felt pampered and happy with their perks and benefits .

Looking forward to see what the future holds with Marriott!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.