Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I'm not really experienced with Marriott rewards. I'm currently a SPG member.

Someone talk me into getting a Marriott rewards account because their point values seem almost as worthless as HH, except the Marriott card doesn't give you the chance to earn lots of points per transaction.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
id think amex would have talked to marriott.. maybe hilton offered more, or marriott was less enthusiastic.. or, perhaps we can be optimistic that marriott was ok with amex doing hilton too, and it is simply part of ongoing discussions. amex can always try and beat the deal marriott has with chase.

which again adds to quotes i posted earlier
I don't see American Express winning the battle of getting exclusive deals with Marriott/SPG/Ritz Carlton. For one, Chase already is partners with Marriott and Ritz Carlton, and 2) I don't see Chase wasting the opportunity to step on American Express's throat again.

And to be honest, I don't see how gaining exclusivity with Hilton is a win for AMEX if they already offer Hilton co-branded cards. I think most of the Citi HHonors card members will try to jump ship before the merger.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Jun 4, 2017 at 4:02 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:50 am

Are you talking about a Marriott rewards credit card or simply just signing up Marriott Rewards. If it's the second one I'm not sure why you would have to be talked into it? It's free, it doesn't change anything at this point and you might as well as sooner or later it's going to be one anyways.
I don't see any negatives of linking your SPG account at this time?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Are you talking about a Marriott rewards credit card or simply just signing up Marriott Rewards. If it's the second one I'm not sure why you would have to be talked into it? It's free, it doesn't change anything at this point and you might as well as sooner or later it's going to be one anyways.
Agree. Linking accounts should be a no-brainer. Re: Marriott cc not earning a lot of points. My understanding (from reading this or a dif thread) is SPG Amex is 6pts/$1 & Marriott is 5pts/$1.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spg card gets 2 points at marriott
or transfer marriott to 3 spg
Q2 promos are different

mikesyr18, we dont know what amex is willing to offer (and amex has travel company)
it was citi and visa that got costco from amex
barrons.com/articles/costco-so-thats-why-it-dumped-american-express-1481211082
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Bravada04
I made the post a little early this morning, so it may not make sense... Sometimes it happens when I'm tired LOL.

I'm talking about both. I understand 1 SPG point = 3 Marriott points. When I was looking on Marriott's website this morning I saw the point values for redemption's but failed to see how the point total was per stay and not per night like on the other hotel websites I use, which was a mistake on my part.

I'm concerned about this merger because a Starpoint for me is valued at around $0.03/point whereas it seems like a Marriott point is 0.007 or 0.005/point. I really don't see the value in getting a Marriott card in the future (after the rewards merger is complete) looking at the way Marriott seems to value points. What good is getting 2x Marriott points at restaurants in the future when I can get 1 Starwood point now? Marriott may make the rewards program slightly better in the future, but nothing near what SPG is worth now.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

even with 3:1 some marriott earning may be better in some cases
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:44 am

Forbes article on recent Sorenson talk at industry event:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahto.../#1aedb476c85f

The take-aways:

* Merging of the programs is still a year away (requires a lot of technology; reconciliation of rules, bonus points, black out dates)
* There will be more brands in the future (but currently have hands full)
* Sheraton brand a challenge. SPG thought of getting rid of it because it was under-performing & MAR considered doing so as well, but decided to keep it & bring it up to brand standards (majority expected to be done within 1-2 years).
* Merging of programs is not major issue, but global political climate & Prez Trump travel ban impacting things; travel to US is flat this year & down 20% from Middle East & Mexico

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:25 pm

Maybe this has already been covered, but the Marriott FAQ appears to imply they will allow those with lifetime status to transfer into the new program. If they were going to parse SPG plats based on nights etc to match Marriott criteria, I suspect they would use different phrasing but who knows:

What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program."

I am on track to earn Lifetime Status in 2016 or 2017. Should I continue to work toward it if there will ultimately be a new program announced?

Yes, you should certainly continue on your path to Lifetime Status qualification with Rewards or SPG. Lifetime Status is an accomplishment that we will always celebrate and recognize, whether in your earned program today or in a new, combined program in the future.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#i-a...gram-announced
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:27 pm

And one more quote from the FAQ:

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! We will continue to recognize your existing Lifetime Status in the program where you earned it today, and in any new, combined program in the future. Since Rewards and SPG are still two separate programs, linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program. However, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

I read earlier that one of the credit card agreements was due to expire this year & the other in 2020 (don't know which is which though). Presumably the one expiring this year would be putting together a good deal to stay the c.c. of choice.

Cheers.
The Chase contract expires in 2018 while the Amex contract expires in 2020.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they specifically mention bonus points are an issue? am i missing something?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Maybe this has already been covered, but the Marriott FAQ appears to imply they will allow those with lifetime status to transfer into the new program. If they were going to parse SPG plats based on nights etc to match Marriott criteria, I suspect they would use different phrasing but who knows:

http://members.marriott.com/faq/#i-a...gram-announced
I would be very careful in interpreting it as LT top-tier in SPG you would be top-tier in MPG... The wording is " we will always recognize your Lifetime Status" not " we will always recognize your Lifetime Status Tier", this is for sure deliberate ... The only I take away from this wording is that there will be a Lifetime program in MPG nothing else and that if you have a Lifetime Status in SPG or MR you will have a Lifetime Status in MPG ... maybe I am just a glass half empty kind of guy but thats how I read it ...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:04 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by X-ON
I would be very careful in interpreting it as LT top-tier in SPG you would be top-tier in MPG... The wording is " we will always recognize your Lifetime Status" not " we will always recognize your Lifetime Status Tier", this is for sure deliberate ... The only I take away from this wording is that there will be a Lifetime program in MPG nothing else and that if you have a Lifetime Status in SPG or MR you will have a Lifetime Status in MPG ... maybe I am just a glass half empty kind of guy but thats how I read it ...
I'm a little more optimistic. Frankly, just seeing it in writing, that I'll still have Lifetime Status of any variety is a blessing for me. Had fully braced myself to lose it, and have to do another 10 years in any new program.

This is nothing short of fantastic news!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by controller1
The Chase contract expires in 2018 while the Amex contract expires in 2020.
source?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:16 am

Someone mentioned in a different thread that SPG has more luxury properties than Marriott. Turns out in the luxury segment they're pretty close. I was reading a press release from yesterday where they announced expansion plans for Asia Pacific, but mentioned overall #s for the brands. SPG has 194 properties & Marriott 182 properties worldwide in the luxury category.

Ritz Carlton 93
St. Regis 42
W 50
Luxury Collection 102
JW Marriott 82
EDITION 4
Bulgari 3

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.