Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If 2018 is going to be another year of 2 separate programs (and it looks that way), I hope they do a better job mapping the elite levels and hopefully using the combined totals to determine the status.

The current mapping seems to favor SPG members mostly.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Saw this in the Marriott forum, so providing a link. From an industry conference last week re: merging & credit cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28431217-post40.html

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I'm glad to see that some signals from Marriot on how things will shape up for 2018. I've already re-qualified for platinum for next year, which puts me at 10 years platinum. As of right now, I still need 80 nights to be at 500 and get lifetime platinum. I was planning on trying to hit that before the end of the year (easier since I dumped Hyatt). Sounds like I can give myself a bit of breathing room and hit 500 early in 2018.

This is all assuming that Lifetime SPG Platinum and MR Platinum continue to exist in the new combined program. I can't imagine they won't, the backlash would not be good for them.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This is all assuming that Lifetime SPG Platinum and MR Platinum continue to exist in the new combined program. I can't imagine they won't, the backlash would not be good for them.
From Marriott's Official FAQ:
I am on track to earn Lifetime Status in 2016 or 2017. Should I continue to work toward it if there will ultimately be a new program announced?

Yes, you should certainly continue on your path to Lifetime Status qualification with Rewards or SPG. Lifetime Status is an accomplishment that we will always celebrate and recognize, whether in your earned program today or in a new, combined program in the future.

What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?

Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Since you obviously haven't lost any of those precious SPG benefits, and the way things are going the loyalty programs will remain separated for another year plus, what do you think you'll lose long term?

Meanwhile, if you were an SPG G you've just picked up breakfast and lounge benefits by literally crossing the street cause you sure weren't getting anything from SPG.
As a SPG Plat, that doesn't really help me. In fact, I have found it's worse for me on the Marriott side, since Marriott doesn't offer free breakfast at properties like Courtyards, and there's no Your24. I also suspect that MarriottPG will end up diluting benefits, or at least raising point requirements on hotels, once the merger is done and things calm down.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Addressing your 3 comments -

There are several CYs that provide "free breakfast" albeit mainly in Asia. There's even a master list of properties with this information posted.

You're right. Marriott doesn't have a Your24 program, at this time, however if SPG had not been so over indulgent they likely would still be a viable independent company.

Maybe I missed it but hasn't SPG raised point requirements on various properties every year, mostly to the upside ?

Originally Posted by r415
As a SPG Plat, that doesn't really help me. In fact, I have found it's worse for me on the Marriott side, since Marriott doesn't offer free breakfast at properties like Courtyards, and there's no Your24. I also suspect that MarriottPG will end up diluting benefits, or at least raising point requirements on hotels, once the merger is done and things calm down.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Addressing your 3 comments -

There are several CYs that provide "free breakfast" albeit mainly in Asia. There's even a master list of properties with this information posted.

You're right. Marriott doesn't have a Your24 program, at this time, however if SPG had not been so over indulgent they likely would still be a viable independent company.

Maybe I missed it but hasn't SPG raised point requirements on various properties every year, mostly to the upside ?
Several CYs in Asia out of almost 1000 worldwide doesn't really count for all that much unless you only happen to travel to those regions. Good on those properties, though. I have to fight with the Courtyards in the US to even get by 4 PM late checkout benefit, last time I was told to call back the morning of checkout and maybe they would accommodate me.

Also, unless I missed something, SPG wasn't in the process of declaring bankruptcy, and in fact had multiple bidders for the merger.

Some properties go up, some properties go down, although I agree that more go up than down, at least where I would ever want to stay.

But the overall point is that I haven't really gained anything from the merger, especially nothing I actually value (I can see how United Silver status might be nice if I ever intended to fly United again, but I don't). I understand that other people may value different things, and so maybe don't care, or if they were former MR Plats, actually did get some nice improved benefits like 4 PM late checkout. However, If I stay at a Marriott property, I actually lose benefits compared to SPG Plat, at least the ones I care about (see above).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:29 am
Suspended

If you've matched your SPG P status over to MR there are no questions about a 4PM checkout except at the handful of properties given an exemption (as I recall resorts and convention props) and in the event you are denied you can simply call Marriott Customer Service (imagine it takes about the same effort as contacting Your24 or Ambassador) and have them explain your rights to which the hotel, whether it be a CY or other is required to comply with.

I don't think I stated SPG was in the process of declaring bankruptcy. I stated that their over indulgence caused them to put themselves up for sale and frankly I have reservations on whether Anbang was a legit potential buyer (and totally dismiss the Hyatt rumors as just that).

Several CYs in Asia out of almost 1000 worldwide doesn't really count for all that much unless you only happen to travel to those regions. Good on those properties, though. I have to fight with the Courtyards in the US to even get by 4 PM late checkout benefit, last time I was told to call back the morning of checkout and maybe they would accommodate me.

Also, unless I missed something, SPG wasn't in the process of declaring bankruptcy, and in fact had multiple bidders for the merger.

Some properties go up, some properties go down, although I agree that more go up than down, at least where I would ever want to stay.

But the overall point is that I haven't really gained anything from the merger, especially nothing I actually value (I can see how United Silver status might be nice if I ever intended to fly United again, but I don't). I understand that other people may value different things, and so maybe don't care, or if they were former MR Plats, actually did get some nice improved benefits like 4 PM late checkout. However, If I stay at a Marriott property, I actually lose benefits compared to SPG Plat, at least the ones I care about (see above).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've seen this line of "thinking" before, and it gives me a great chuckle every single time
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended

So let's hear your take on why Starwood went looking for a buyer cause it sure wasn't Marriott that went out and made an unsolicited bid.

Come on now, you say I'm wrong so don't be shy !!!! Let's hear it......

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I've seen this line of "thinking" before, and it gives me a great chuckle every single time
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So let's hear your take on why Starwood went looking for a buyer cause it sure wasn't Marriott that went out and made an unsolicited bid.

Come on now, you say I'm wrong so don't be shy !!!! Let's hear it......
Well - if you looked at the 10-Ks in the three years leading up to the merger (as I did), you would see Starwood being highly profitable ($1.5B in net income the three years combined), and actually a higher net income % compared to Marriott.

So while profitable, Wall Street rewards growth and scale (both in terms of revenues and cost cutting), which consolidation fosters. And the growth was happening at the low / limited service end, where Starwood is of course lighter.

But of course, it's easier to just parrot a garbage line and say "Starwood was over-indulgent", which lacks any basis in fact. The strong treatment of its loyal customers actually helped Starwood grow to where it was pre-merger as a much smaller company.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

If they were doing so well and just needed to add lower end properties then they could have bought Days Inn or reverted back to a REIT or brought Barry back but instead they put themselves on the market and in the phony bidding war Marriott (significantly) overpaid leaving all those previous over indulgent to whine over their expected loss of perks, or haven't you need been reading the posts (which give me my morning laugh)?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well - if you looked at the 10-Ks in the three years leading up to the merger (as I did), you would see Starwood being highly profitable ($1.5B in net income the three years combined), and actually a higher net income % compared to Marriott.

So while profitable, Wall Street rewards growth and scale (both in terms of revenues and cost cutting), which consolidation fosters. And the growth was happening at the low / limited service end, where Starwood is of course lighter.

But of course, it's easier to just parrot a garbage line and say "Starwood was over-indulgent", which lacks any basis in fact. The strong treatment of its loyal customers actually helped Starwood grow to where it was pre-merger as a much smaller company.

Last edited by Srisarin; Jun 13, 2017 at 8:24 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
very well put! +1
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Regardless of the reason why Marriott bought Starwood, the new combined organization still needs to answer to its guests. We can vote with our wallets and our loyalty. The sooner that Marriott will announce the details of the new combined program (including credit card co-brand partners, and airline partners such as United and Delta), the better. I don't expect such announcements now, however it would be great if those decisions and announcements are made sometime in 2017, with implementation to follow later. I have been holding off on SPG stays, and SPG AMEX spending waiting for more clarity on the future loyalty program(s). I haven't stayed at legacy Marriott properties in the past few years.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by conde
Regardless of the reason why Marriott bought Starwood, the new combined organization still needs to answer to its guests. We can vote with our wallets and our loyalty. The sooner that Marriott will announce the details of the new combined program (including credit card co-brand partners, and airline partners such as United and Delta), the better. I don't expect such announcements now, however it would be great if those decisions and announcements are made sometime in 2017, with implementation to follow later. I have been holding off on SPG stays, and SPG AMEX spending waiting for more clarity on the future loyalty program(s). I haven't stayed at legacy Marriott properties in the past few years.
This is the same issue we have in the computer industry. Customers want to know future direction before it's implemented (even if it's before we decide to actually build the product). When doing so may devastate current product sales (who's going to buy a current product at current prices when it's going to be replaced?). Pre-announcing the product drove sales into the ground. We have to leave it to the company to decide when is the right time to announce and I don't expect it to be much before they are ready to release.

If SPG meets your needs now, then stay at SPG now, the same for MR. If you insist upon playing the futures game, don't expect any company to pave the way with early info (a company actually turned their future products into a commodity by selling shipping slots before they even knew if they could/would build the box). You can spend a lifetime waiting for the better product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.