Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
I'll translate. The other poster is saying that certain former *wood properties are now re-joining their closely located SPG counterparts. Take, for instance, the Westin Bonaventure, which used to be the Marriott Bonaventure. It will be located up the road from nice Marriott properties. blah blah blah There will be a lot of overlap.
But I thought it was known that, as a result of the merger, there would be clusters of overlapping properties in the same market. Say, for example, Marriotts across the street from Westins or St. Regii across the street from Ritz Carltons. I thought that was taken into account and in fact wasn't considered to be a problem, but rather a "benefit" of the merger (sort of the "starbucks model")?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:50 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by jimrpa
But I thought it was known that, as a result of the merger, there would be clusters of overlapping properties in the same market. Say, for example, Marriotts across the street from Westins or St. Regii across the street from Ritz Carltons. I thought that was taken into account and in fact wasn't considered to be a problem, but rather a "benefit" of the merger (sort of the "starbucks model")?
It's well known that there would be overlap, but it will be interesting to see which properties make the cut when they start trimming off failed properties.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hotelnewsnow.com/Articles/129926/Marriott-select-service-execs-talk-PIPs-extended-stay

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Regardless, any claim about relative affluence of customer base is nonsensical
unless talking about top percentages (which include business travel)
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hotelnewsnow.com/Articles/129926/Marriott-select-service-execs-talk-PIPs-extended-stay

unless talking about top percentages (which include business travel)
The linked article is about select service hotels. What does it have to do with the affluence of a customer base?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Linked Accounts - Percentage?

Idle thought here.

Anyone have any idea of how many SPG folk linked a Marriott account, or created one to subsequently link?

Are Marriott and SPG loyalists sticking to what they know, or is cross-pollination taking place?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I haven't seen any official numbers, but you might be able to find it if you dig into Marriott's quarterly SEC filings.

I definitely think majority of road warriors have either created or linked their existing SPG account by now. If anything, Marriott properties actually give them some extra perks like free exec lounge access.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Maybe somebody at Marriott has bragged about it to analysts - the We're doing great with synergies thing. It's just as likely a very deep secret.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator note

To keep the discussion focussed on the merger, some posts have been merged into this thread, and some off-topic posts have been removed.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Sabai
Idle thought here.

Anyone have any idea of how many SPG folk linked a Marriott account, or created one to subsequently link?

Are Marriott and SPG loyalists sticking to what they know, or is cross-pollination taking place?
Either at some industry conference or investors call, Marriott mentioned a % of how many have linked.

From some of the posts in the SPG & Marriott forums, a # of FTers have linked their accounts & are trying the other side's properties. I've not linked my account yet because my stays are, so far, still Marriott. If I have an upcoming one at a SPG I'd probably do the link then and certainly will before the two programs are fully merged, but looks like that's a solid year away.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:27 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Until they allow crediting EQNs across programs you'll probably see most road warriors sticking to their previous patterns. I've linked in order to take advantage of Marriott travel packages… but my stays have stayed all with Starwood. Until I requalify for Plat100 it'll probably stay that way.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
From some of the posts in the SPG & Marriott forums, a # of FTers have linked their accounts & are trying the other side's properties. I've not linked my account yet because my stays are, so far, still Marriott. If I have an upcoming one at a SPG I'd probably do the link then and certainly will before the two programs are fully merged, but looks like that's a solid year away.
Even if you only stay at Marriotts, it's worth linking and getting the SPG Amex. That works out to 6 points/$ at Marriotts, the Marriott Visa is only 5. (And incidental spending is 3 Marriott points/$ rather than 1.)

Is there any benefit to not linking yet?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:19 pm

I didn't see it in Wiki or last few pages or Google search, so pardon my Q

Does SPG name match the corresponding MR account?

I'm asking as I actually have 2 MR accounts, one legal name and one as Jerry (I signed up for 2 Chase Marriott VISA for the welcome Cat 1-4 cert), both have some small balance and I want to transfer some SPG in to use them up

It's either calling Marriott to merge them first, or simply unlink/re-link in SPG (if there's no name matching)

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Even if you only stay at Marriotts, it's worth linking and getting the SPG Amex. That works out to 6 points/$ at Marriotts, the Marriott Visa is only 5. (And incidental spending is 3 Marriott points/$ rather than 1.)

Is there any benefit to not linking yet?
Can only speak for myself, but I don't feel a need to get another credit card. There's no downside to my not linking yet. If/when I have a SPG stay I'll link then.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:25 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I come from the Marriott side of the house but I am using SPG properties with much more regularity since the merger. I'm LT Platinum with Marriott and now that I'm getting the SPG Platinum benefits I'm starting to feel their program benefits are better than Marriott's so I've begun to refocus more of my stays at SPG properties. I travel extensively, predominantly in Asia although some in US/Europe and consistently spend 120+/- in hotels.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:04 pm

Still a year away from SPG program changes?

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Either at some industry conference or investors call, Marriott mentioned a % of how many have linked.

Cheers.
I'm lifetime SPG Plat and current SPG 50 and don't have any interest in MR program other than occasional (rare) stays at RC which I think I read their reward program doesn't give much benefit on anyway. I'd look into linking if I did have an RC stay coming up just to see if there was any benefit, I do have some RC GC's I'll want to use some day.

But my main concern is checking up to see if there will be any changes to SPG program soon that would cause me to want to burn my points. I think I had seen before that change was likely to take effect for the 2018 program year starting in January 2018. So I was intrigued with your post SkiAdcock stating you believe that such change is still at least a full year away from April 2017. Do you have information that says they won't integrate them at the beginning of 2018? It would be great to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.