Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The criteria changed along the way, starting with a requirement for 12 years in the program at any level (which was eliminated) plus a nights and total earned points criteria. IIRC it's still 750 nights and 2,000,000 earned points for LTP. In principle, someone could become LTP without ever having earned Plat, which is very different from the SPG 5 or 10 years at the level plus a total lifetime nights requirement for LT status.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kgdg
uxb, i meant I am hoping they keep the LT program similar to the one they have currently in place after the merger, that will give me time to graduate to LT Platinum from LT Gold. I understand that I will retain LT Gold, but if there is no more a way to attain LT PLT in the post-merger program, I will have to remain grandfathered LT Gold...
No one on FT can confirm this. We all have to wait for the Marriott announcement together.

However, I would bet it would be very difficult to keep a separate LT program once the merge happens. But I could be wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm not sure quoting a 2 year old article is relevant to what are Ambassadors currently hearing about their jobs. Just as Marriott could delete the LT program (unlikely), they could also delete Ambassadors (unlikely).

Cheers.
it is not just about ambassadors, it is about starwood corporate (therefore merger) allowing call center employees to move to hotels. big deal in terms of customer service and operations, just one example for starwood.

clearly marriott will not give ambassadors to 100 night marriott.

if desired benefits(/awards/etc) are deleted, LT is irrelevant.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
clearly marriott will not give ambassadors to 100 night marriott.
You know Marriott has already been piloting exactly this, right?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

# SPG ambassadors, # SPG100 with/using them
# marriott 100

i should have said, offering will be different, and SPG reviews already mixed
interesting if SPG does currently actually factor in things like spending etc
big factor may also be which SPG hotel being used at, quality/occupancy

random thought >
RC FLL returns to SPG, was originally st regis
bal harbour FL now has RC near st regis
JW essex house was st regis + westin
LM BUD became (renovated) RC
RC ICN became LM
future internal reflags will be interesting
and whether marriott franchises W

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 23, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
# SPG ambassadors, # SPG100 with/using them
# marriott 100

i should have said, offering will be different, and SPG reviews already mixed
interesting if SPG does currently actually factor in things like spending etc
big factor may also be which SPG hotel being used at, quality/occupancy

random thought >
RC FLL returns to SPG, was originally st regis
bal harbour FL now has RC near st regis
JW essex house was st regis + westin
LM BUD became (renovated) RC
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, but I honestly don't understand what you're saying. I can't follow your writing style since you're using all the special characters and sentence fragments (and apparently assuming your readers understand the missing parts). Would you mind restating please?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
got my first real benefit thanks to this merger....i linked my accounts a few months ago to get marriott plat....courtesy of that i got ua silver status....

i only fly dl so i thought ua silver would be a complete waste but yesterday i had to take a ua flight at the last minute from mia-ewr....i had to get to ny in a hurry to attend an event & the dl flight wasn't getting me there on time....i bought the cheapest fare a few hours before the flight & was able to pick out an economy plus seat....i was pretty happy with that but at the gate they further upgraded me to first class....all thanks to the fact that i was able to link my accounts....
I've been kind of wondering how much longer the Marriott/UA deal will last. I'm expecting, after the dust settles, for Delta to be the airline partner winner, and for AmEx to be the credit card winner. AmEx has lost too many travel partners to VISA/MasterCard to afford losing Marriott/SPG and their partnership with SPG has been pretty good. Similarly, SPG and Delta have done a lot to promote the co-branding of their partnership where most people are surprised when they discover they get UA Silver once they hit Platinum with Marriott. Of course, if I'm right, I'll be kind of bummed since LT Plat with Marriott is my guarantee of LT Silver with UA without having to lift a finger
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I've been kind of wondering how much longer the Marriott/UA deal will last. I'm expecting, after the dust settles, for Delta to be the airline partner winner, and for AmEx to be the credit card winner. AmEx has lost too many travel partners to VISA/MasterCard to afford losing Marriott/SPG and their partnership with SPG has been pretty good. Similarly, SPG and Delta have done a lot to promote the co-branding of their partnership where most people are surprised when they discover they get UA Silver once they hit Platinum with Marriott. Of course, if I'm right, I'll be kind of bummed since LT Plat with Marriott is my guarantee of LT Silver with UA without having to lift a finger
I could see AmEx making a big play for it - but I'd be shocked if Marriott moved on from UA to Delta
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:23 pm

SPG's partnership with Delta is not exclusive. It has similar relationships with China Eastern and Emirates. It's entirely possible (and probable) that Marriott will keep partnering with both UA and DL. There's only upside for Marriott by keeping both relationships. I also don't think UA or DL wants to break the relationship either.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
SPG's partnership with Delta is not exclusive. It has similar relationships with China Eastern and Emirates. It's entirely possible (and probable) that Marriott will keep partnering with both UA and DL. There's only upside for Marriott by keeping both relationships. I also don't think UA or DL wants to break the relationship either.
DL doesn't compete with EK or China Eastern (and it owns part of the latter)...it does directly w/UA.

Logically there is little chance Marriott will keep both UA and DL around going forward.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, but I honestly don't understand what you're saying. I can't follow your writing style since you're using all the special characters and sentence fragments (and apparently assuming your readers understand the missing parts). Would you mind restating please?
LOL, you're not alone!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
DL doesn't compete with EK or China Eastern (and it owns part of the latter)...it does directly w/UA.

Logically there is little chance Marriott will keep both UA and DL around going forward.
Yes, DL owns a piece of MU but its relationship with EK is not that friendly. If DL had a say, it wouldn't have picked EK. Marriott would have more leverage than either UA or DL in this type of relationships. It would be to Marriott's advantage to keep multiple partners unless one of these partners can offer some unmatched and compelling benefits to Marriott and its customers. Neither UA nor DL currently offers anything that compelling.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:01 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I'll translate. The other poster is saying that certain former *wood properties are now re-joining their closely located SPG counterparts. Take, for instance, the Westin Bonaventure, which used to be the Marriott Bonaventure. It will be located up the road from nice Marriott properties. blah blah blah There will be a lot of overlap.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I could see AmEx making a big play for it - but I'd be shocked if Marriott moved on from UA to Delta
Starwood and Delta bring a more affluent customer to the table...

Sure troubled United is improving, but the SPG/Delta relationship is deep and as I understand they have plans on the table to make it deeper. I'd say Delta brings more upside. But maybe Polaris can feature Courtyard bedding?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by uxb
I'll translate
I'd prefer FT members post their own thoughts in a coherent manner so that other FT members don't have to re-interpret them to make the post understandable.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 3, 2017 at 3:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.