Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- In terms of market size the new Marriott would only have Hilton and IHG as the competitors. What would be the motivation to "innovate" unless it is a cost-cutting measure? Thus, I will remain skeptical about 2018 till proven wrong. SPG promos are already mediocre at best.
We can think of IHG, Hilton, and Marriott as big, but relative to the total number of hotel rooms worldwide, they're not big. It's not a concentrated industry in the manner of automobiles or PC processors. There's tons of market share they each could gain - that's their incentive to innovate.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

between the two merger threads, view count has almost exceeded SPG amex thread

dec 31 2016 hotel counts >
8,254 wyndham (few managed)
6,514 choice (zero managed)
6,080 marriott
5,174 intercontinental
4,922 hilton
(4,200+ best western - not franchisor)
4,144 accor (owns the most)

marriott will soon overtake choice

entire hotel industry is focusing on >
- limited service, as they are the most profitable
- as well as unbranded brands, especially franchise
- accor added "partner hotels" that are not franchise

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:26 am

Match after initial link

I linked my accounts back in September when I was Gold with Marriott. I'm now Platinum as a result of a status challenge. How do I match that to SPG? If it's automatic it hasn't happened after 24 hrs.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by adamzook
I linked my accounts back in September when I was Gold with Marriott. I'm now Platinum as a result of a status challenge. How do I match that to SPG? If it's automatic it hasn't happened after 24 hrs.
I imagine they do a sweep, maybe once a week. If you have a need for status before they get around to updating your account, give them a call or PM the Lurkers to see what they can do.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by adamzook
It is automatic, but it takes some time to update. I think my Marriott status updated 3 or 4 business days after I reached SPG Plat.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is there discussion of how FT forums (forum arrangement, not moderation) might handle merger?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Marriott will announce a unified loyalty programme in a couple of years, which will spell the end of the three individual programmes: SPG, Marriott Rewards and Ritz Carlton Rewards.

Marriott International president Middle East and Africa Alex Kyriakidis told Hotelier Middle East that the ‘One Global Progamme’ will replace the three individual programmes currently in place.

“We will announce the ‘One Global Programme’, instead of three programmes,” he told Hotelier Middle East in an exclusive interview, and later on said that updates about the timing of the launch will be provided in the future, adding that the unified programme will not launch this year.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by damon88
Marriott will announce a unified loyalty programme in a couple of years, which will spell the end of the three individual programmes: SPG, Marriott Rewards and Ritz Carlton Rewards.

Marriott International president Middle East and Africa Alex Kyriakidis told Hotelier Middle East that the ‘One Global Progamme’ will replace the three individual programmes currently in place.

“We will announce the ‘One Global Programme’, instead of three programmes,” he told Hotelier Middle East in an exclusive interview, and later on said that updates about the timing of the launch will be provided in the future, adding that the unified programme will not launch this year.
I really don't see anything new in the article but for those interested, here is the link: http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/29...-scheme-in-18/
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

theyve said theyre not committing to 2018, thought that was interesting, and longer is better
files.shareholder.com/downloads/MAR/4088793841x0x928688/D97DF6AB-FF5C-433D-9817-7D5084FF22DC/MAR_TRANSCRIPT_Q4_2016_FINAL.pdf
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:29 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
theyve said theyre not committing to 2018, thought that was interesting, and longer is better
files.shareholder.com/downloads/MAR/4088793841x0x928688/D97DF6AB-FF5C-433D-9817-7D5084FF22DC/MAR_TRANSCRIPT_Q4_2016_FINAL.pdf

That was my main takeaway too. I agree- the longer the better
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
That was my main takeaway too. I agree- the longer the better
As long as the "new" program preserves lifetime status for those of us who've earned it in the heritage programs with substantially equivalent benefits, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:04 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
A slight update here on the topic of LT status. I spoke with my ambassador, and she told me that she and her colleagues have been informed that LT status will be grandfathered in to the successor programme.

How reliable is my ambassador? She's the only reason I continue feeding Starwood my business. Without her due diligence and razor-sharp ability to cut through a given individual property's BS, I would've moved on to Hyatt long ago.

What does this mean for you? If you're still on the bubble, then I strongly advise you to make status now, and not wait for any changes to be announced.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was expecting them to announce the details of the new program by now. If this drags on for another year, I hope they figure out a way to grant / match statuses more correctly - not just by name of the levels and hopefully using the combined night count this year.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:03 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by username
I was expecting them to announce the details of the new program by now. If this drags on for another year, I hope they figure out a way to grant / match statuses more correctly - not just by name of the levels and hopefully using the combined night count this year.
-1, I couldn't agree with you less. It's far easier to rack up nights at one of Bill Marriott's famed $53,99/nt CY properties than it is at almost every property in SPG's portfolio.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by uxb
-1, I couldn't agree with you less. It's far easier to rack up nights at one of Bill Marriott's famed $53,99/nt CY properties than it is at almost every property in SPG's portfolio.
Even worse. Marriott gives 10 night credits for renting a meeting room (which can be had for $80).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.