Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by conde
I have been holding off on SPG stays, and SPG AMEX spending waiting for more clarity on the future loyalty program(s). I haven't stayed at legacy Marriott properties in the past few years.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is the same issue we have in the computer industry. Customers want to know future direction before it's implemented (even if it's before we decide to actually build the product). When doing so may devastate current product sales (who's going to buy a current product at current prices when it's going to be replaced?). Pre-announcing the product drove sales into the ground. We have to leave it to the company to decide when is the right time to announce and I don't expect it to be much before they are ready to release.

If SPG meets your needs now, then stay at SPG now, the same for MR. If you insist upon playing the futures game, don't expect any company to pave the way with early info (a company actually turned their future products into a commodity by selling shipping slots before they even knew if they could/would build the box). You can spend a lifetime waiting for the better product.
Wow (re bold above, bold emphasis, mine). That's amazing to me. I am taking the opposite road. I am enjoying my current platinum Starwood status and benefits now. I don't know if they'll exist later and/or in what form. But today, they exist and I'll enjoy them while I can. What does waiting get you? So now you stay at Hilton? Even as Diamond their benefits are poor. IHG? Cmon, Spire doesn't compete. And so on. Unless you're a Hyatt Globalist and are lucky enough to only stay in Hyatts due to your stay patters, I don't see how this helps you at all.

In fact, one could argue staying in Starwoods now is the best option. It's (y)our last chance to partake in an amazing program before it is possibly devalued. Your choice results in you devaluing the program before it actually occurs. If it occurs. Makes no sense to me.

Re the cc, I am also using it as always. Best earning and redemption card out there. And I'm sure I'll have time to burn my points before any sig devalue. The only recommendation I'd make here is not to hold too many points (I burn em somewhat close to as I earn em), only leaving one 5 day stay worth of points around.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
If they were doing so well and just needed to add lower end properties then they could have bought Days Inn or reverted back to a REIT or brought Barry back but instead they put themselves on the market and in the phony bidding war Marriott (significantly) overpaid leaving all those previous over indulgent to whine over their expected loss of perks, or haven't you need been reading the posts (which give me my morning laugh)?
I don't disagree with the strategic choice they made, it's them reading the tea leaves and deciding that was best for their shareholders. Consolidation is the name of the game in every industry these days unfortunately.

But saying "over indulgence" took down the company is fake news in its finest. And BTW in your mind Marriott "significantly" overpaid, but the Starwood customer base is most likely a more desirable, higher income one (on a per-member basis), and thus that's why Marriott paid what they did, and will have a hard time reducing benefits to the "over indulged" SPG consumers lest they flee.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow (re bold above, bold emphasis, mine). That's amazing to me. I am taking the opposite road. I am enjoying my current platinum Starwood status and benefits now.
Ditto! I'm milking my Platinum status for all its worth and have had some amazing stays. ^ Hope the merger gets stalled for another year or two.

I'll re-evaluate once we know what the future holds.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow (re bold above, bold emphasis, mine). That's amazing to me. I am taking the opposite road. I am enjoying my current platinum Starwood status and benefits now. I don't know if they'll exist later and/or in what form. But today, they exist and I'll enjoy them while I can. What does waiting get you? So now you stay at Hilton? Even as Diamond their benefits are poor. IHG? Cmon, Spire doesn't compete. And so on. Unless you're a Hyatt Globalist and are lucky enough to only stay in Hyatts due to your stay patters, I don't see how this helps you at all.

In fact, one could argue staying in Starwoods now is the best option. It's (y)our last chance to partake in an amazing program before it is possibly devalued. Your choice results in you devaluing the program before it actually occurs. If it occurs. Makes no sense to me.

Re the cc, I am also using it as always. Best earning and redemption card out there. And I'm sure I'll have time to burn my points before any sig devalue. The only recommendation I'd make here is not to hold too many points (I burn em somewhat close to as I earn em), only leaving one 5 day stay worth of points around.
Perhaps I haven't taken the best approach this year regarding focusing more stays with Starwood. I haven't stopped staying with SPG, however I am not as focused on future status. Maybe it is better to live in the now and take full advantage while it lasts. As far as credit card spend, I am hesitant to focus spending on the US SPG Amex without more certainty on the future value of Starpoints. I have an upcoming stay at the Augustine in Prague, which I am looking forward to. Maybe I will consider more SPG stays in the next few months.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm also staying at starwood as much as I can. I'm doing my second consecutive hommage to the demise of this fantastic programme - staying at all 11 brands also this year.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Talk about fake news !!!!

Where did you get this from, Bh ???

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
.... the Starwood customer base is most likely a more desirable, higher income one (on a per-member basis), and thus that's why Marriott paid what they did, and will have a hard time reducing benefits to the "over indulged" SPG consumers lest they flee.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Uh folks, the 'was it a good move for SPG or Marriott' was discussed many pages back. Not sure re-hashing the merger &/or perceived financials of elites on either side makes sense.

I think most of us checking this thread are really checking it for updates/any new news (or at least I am).

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Uh folks, the 'was it a good move for SPG or Marriott' was discussed many pages back. Not sure re-hashing the merger &/or perceived financials of elites on either side makes sense.

I think most of us checking this thread are really checking it for updates/any new news (or at least I am).

Cheers.
Sigh. Thank you for being our voice, Sharon.

Merger is OVER. Let's keep this focused on updates for the 'Marriott Preferred Guest' future.

khabah
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I suggest members efforts would be better focussed on updating the wiki with recent updates and developments rather than posting non-posts complainng about other posters posting non-news.

@:-)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I suggest members efforts would be better focussed on updating the wiki with recent updates and developments rather than posting non-posts complainng about other posters posting non-news.

Not sure if that was directed at me vs. the folk rehashing stuff again. But - fair enough. However, the wiki is basically formal answers by SPG/MAR & links vs. here's an update from this industry conference or that industry conference.

Serious question - are you saying we should update the wiki w/ "reports/snippets" of industry conference reports vs. actual official reports by Marriott? I assumed the wiki (based on what it currently looks like) is for official stuff, and this thread/discussion was to report what we've heard or read. Please advise as to which it is, or if you want us to update the wiki w/ both official announcements as well as industry conference/interview links.

And again I can only speak for myself, but I've read through the entire thread & a lot of the they had to do it/going down the tubes, we were the savior, blah, blah stuff was covered before. Obviously folk can continue to discuss that, but I'm (again speaking only for myself) more interested in what's the latest, whether it be industry conference reports where we might garner a bit of info or official info.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I know we aren't supposed to relitigate the merger in this thread, but today it was announced that the leader of Anbang, Chairman Wu, has been detained by Chinese officials. Remember that Anbang was the other bidder that emerged in the battle for Starwood. Marriott ultimately won the bid after Anbang withdrew. Anbang is rumored to be in financial trouble after a spree of acquisitions. If Anbang had succeeded in buying Starwood, who knows what would have happened.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

I fully agree - of course erroneous and ill-informed statements should just be corrected for the record
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I know we aren't supposed to relitigate the merger in this thread, but today it was announced that the leader of Anbang, Chairman Wu, has been detained by Chinese officials. Remember that Anbang was the other bidder that emerged in the battle for Starwood. Marriott ultimately won the bid after Anbang withdrew. Anbang is rumored to be in financial trouble after a spree of acquisitions. If Anbang had succeeded in buying Starwood, who knows what would have happened.
Wow! That's definitely new news. Yikes.

Cheers.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat

^^^
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.