Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:19 pm

As a SPG Plat, I'm generally pleased with the merger for now. There're more properties I can choose from, and the SPG transfer rate to MR is decent and I was able to take advantage of Marriott's TP. However, I'm concerned about the ability to transfer MR points to airline loyalty programs directly at the current favorable rates under the SPG program (especially to foreign carrier's programs, since MR is significantly less generous to those programs), after SPG and MR programs merge in 2018. What are your thoughts?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
As a SPG Plat, I'm generally pleased with the merger for now. There're more properties I can choose from, and the SPG transfer rate to MR is decent and I was able to take advantage of Marriott's TP. However, I'm concerned about the ability to transfer MR points to airline loyalty programs directly at the current favorable rates under the SPG program (especially to foreign carrier's programs, since MR is significantly less generous to those programs), after SPG and MR programs merge in 2018. What are your thoughts?
that's been my concern as well. I'm taking advantage of the 5k kicker for every 20k transfer while I can.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by dascc
that's been my concern as well. I'm taking advantage of the 5k kicker for every 20k transfer while I can.
Personally, I think my SPG points are worth far more for hotel stays (incl at Marriott properties with the 1:3 exchange rate) than for air travel. Then again, I have an abundance of air miles & not enough hotel points to provide enough nights in proportion to the number/length of trips, so that's just me. YMMV, and probably does.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Personally, I think my SPG points are worth far more for hotel stays (incl at Marriott properties with the 1:3 exchange rate) than for air travel. Then again, I have an abundance of air miles & not enough hotel points to provide enough nights in proportion to the number/length of trips, so that's just me. YMMV, and probably does.
That's not true if you use the points for international flights in F or J cabin. Compared to hotel stays, you'll burn points/miles much more quickly on these flights, especially if you travel with a family.

Last edited by tth6133; Jan 14, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
That's not true if you use the points for international flights in F or J cabin. Compared to hotel stays, you'll burn points/miles much more quickerly on these flights, especially if you travel with a family.
Only in the case if you have too many miles and need hotel points than yes.
It's better than use points in many cases especially in Europe when it's worth more than 2.5 points per dollar.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Sooo.. I see nothing about being able to share qualifying nights.. I have a conference coming up that is at a Sheraton.. I usually stay at the Marriott Residence inn down the road (Govt rates so all is equal). If I stay at the Sheraton when my accounts are linked does the stay at the Sheraton count towards my MP status?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:02 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Sooo.. I see nothing about being able to share qualifying nights.. I have a conference coming up that is at a Sheraton.. I usually stay at the Marriott Residence inn down the road (Govt rates so all is equal). If I stay at the Sheraton when my accounts are linked does the stay at the Sheraton count towards my MP status?
Not as of yet.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:08 pm

That's not true if you use the points for international flights in F or J cabin. Compared to hotel stays, you'll burn points/miles much more quickly on these flights, especially if you travel with a family.
The DW & I have flown to Europe in J three times in the last ~21 months using miles, and we still have 2.1MM miles (UA & AA) between us, so I have a perfectly good understanding of what those miles are worth; how many we need for our preferred type of itinerary; and how long they'll last us at this rate in the extremely unlikely event we never earn more. My marginal utility for additional miles is a lot lower than for hotel points, especially high-value ones like SPG.

If you get more value out of transfering Starwood points to airline partners, more power to you. But don't labor under the misimpression that your tastes and preferences are universally held, even by people who like flying in the front of the plane.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

The DW & I have flown to Europe in J three times in the last ~21 months using miles, and we still have 2.1MM miles (UA & AA) between us, so I have a perfectly good understanding of what those miles are worth; how many we need for our preferred type of itinerary; and how long they'll last us at this rate in the extremely unlikely event we never earn more. My marginal utility for additional miles is a lot lower than for hotel points, especially high-value ones like SPG.

If you get more value out of transfering Starwood points to airline partners, more power to you. But don't labor under the misimpression that your tastes and preferences are universally held, even by people who like flying in the front of the plane.
I agree everyone should value these points/miles differently, depending on his/her circumstances. There's no universal taste or preference. All I was saying is that if you were to maximize the value of each point/mile, assuming you have access to sufficiently large amount of points/miles, then the best value you get is to transfer them to some airline programs for some very expensive international flight awards. It doesn't mean, however, it's the best strategy for everyone. Personally, I'm sitting on 1M+ SPG points, so the best strategy for me is to transfer some of them to airline miles as needed.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Not as of yet.
Thanks..
This is a real downer for me.. combining best of both programs is great but for me a big bonus would be a bigger network so wherever work puts me I can build my qualifying stays and redeemable points..
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Thanks..
This is a real downer for me.. combining best of both programs is great but for me a big bonus would be a bigger network so wherever work puts me I can build my qualifying stays and redeemable points..
The programs remain separate for 2017. I suspect what you are looking for will happen in 2018.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:26 am

It was posted in the FT Marriott forum (based on a Marriott document leaked in China) that MR/SPG plat will no longer receive suite upgrades under Marriott Rewards 2.0
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It was posted in the FT Marriott forum (based on a Marriott document leaked in China) that MR/SPG plat will no longer receive suite upgrades under Marriott Rewards 2.0
Debunked by Gary...that was an old 2014 document
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by uxb
If you are on the status bubble, as I am, then I recommend banging out the 25 nights now. The quarterly promo is beneficial for people staying single nights (10-15k for 20+ nights) and for people who have extended stays (2x bonus). I've already got more than enough nights; years is the issue, so 25 stays will boost me to LTP and still leave me with ~18k points. Not terrible.
I agree. I'm going for the 50 nights this year at SPG to get my LT Plat and then will definitely re-evaluate my stay patterns. My Ambassador has been great, and I would definitely get to the 100 if I knew I could keep her in 2018, but with no news on what 2018 holds, it may be a gamble too far.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lilpisher
I agree. I'm going for the 50 nights this year at SPG to get my LT Plat and then will definitely re-evaluate my stay patterns. My Ambassador has been great, and I would definitely get to the 100 if I knew I could keep her in 2018, but with no news on what 2018 holds, it may be a gamble too far.
Marriott has started a personal concierge program, but its qualification requirements are unpublished and it's supposedly experimental as are the guidelines regarding what concierges are empowered to do and what they're supposed to do.

BTW, Hyatt is also moving in this direction. Globalists with 60 night's in the new WOH program will be assigned some sort of personal concierge. It's unclear what will happen to the current private line agent program and how the functions will compare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.