Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I just used my first set of SNA and have been extremely pleased.

I used two at the Hotel Danieli in Venice. The suite nights were confirmed 5 days out into a executive suite, and then further upgraded the day before by the hotel to a One Bedroom Lagoon View Suite which was a couple levels higher than the suite categories you can confirm with the SNAs.

Then I used another two at the St. Regis Florence which were confirmed into a Junior Suite Arno View Room 5 days out, and then further upgraded the day before check-in to an unbelievable Royal suite which is by far the best room I've ever stayed in. This was also done without asking and it is a few levels above the Junior Suite category as well. It currently sells for 8,000 Eur.

I also applied some to a reservation at the St. Regis Rome, but the last night was showing sold out so those SNAs were denied. However, I'm pretty happy getting 2 amazing upgrades out of my first 3 attempts using the SNAs. I'm definitely going to go for 50 nights again this year to get another 10.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It could be a fun experiment to keep going. Split another night off the reservation, see what happens, report back, rinse and repeat. If the hotel does this six times, it's a more convincing data point than just observing that this has happened once or twice.
I am trying it once again. The only downside now is since I no longer have the 5 night stay, I no longer will get the 5th night free. It is now one 2 night reservation and one 4 night reservation.

From talking to the SPG person at the Platinum Desk, they said the SNAs are applied at 2pm local hotel time 5 days before the check-in date. I checked the room right before this time for the hotel and the suite was still available.

So it would appear either there are other SPG members applying their SNAs for the same check-in date and I'm losing the tie breaker every time or the hotel doesn't want to give away an $800 room when they could try selling it for 5 more days and are pulling the 1st night's availability. What do they have to lose? They can always give it away the same day if it is still available.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I'm trying to use my suite night awards in Europe and it seems that only smoking rooms are available. Could this be true? I have found this at 4 of the 5 hotels I am trying to upgrade.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Amy28
I am trying it once again. The only downside now is since I no longer have the 5 night stay, I no longer will get the 5th night free. It is now one 2 night reservation and one 4 night reservation.

From talking to the SPG person at the Platinum Desk, they said the SNAs are applied at 2pm local hotel time 5 days before the check-in date. I checked the room right before this time for the hotel and the suite was still available.

So it would appear either there are other SPG members applying their SNAs for the same check-in date and I'm losing the tie breaker every time or the hotel doesn't want to give away an $800 room when they could try selling it for 5 more days and are pulling the 1st night's availability. What do they have to lose? They can always give it away the same day if it is still available.
Two points if I may:

1. Try doing a single night at the end of your stay and see if that drops off too. PM the Lurkers to see if they can assist.

2. Once you're all done "testing" call the Plat desk and ask to have all the rez tied back together to get your 5th night free back.

Good luck.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Helloyellow
I'm trying to use my suite night awards in Europe and it seems that only smoking rooms are available. Could this be true? I have found this at 4 of the 5 hotels I am trying to upgrade.
I find that European and Asian hotels frequently have much better room availability and choice of room category if one is willing to take a smoking room. The very best hotels have ways to eliminate the tobacco smell (but perhaps not the allergens), although in a badly maintained hotel in need of renovation, you see more scars in smoking rooms (such as burn holes on rugs, table tops and sink surfaces, and bedding if it's not heavenly-bed-like).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Tried again last week in Maui with no luck. Still have my 10, hope to use them before expire. Have had 19 stays this year with zero luck on upgrades using the suite certs.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:53 pm

I tried using my SNAs for a vacation next week and was denied. I checked online to find that suites were not available for the first night but were available for the 5 nights following (the same type of suite I had originally applied the SNAs toward). I called the hotel directly and explained the situation with the SNAs being denied, but showing availability outside that first night. I asked if we could be moved after the first night but they said they didn't see any suites available in the system. I could see them as available on SPG.com which was strange. So I booked them and gave her a confirmation number to prove they were there and asked if she could see the suite reserved with that reservation number (knowing I could just cancel the reservation after proving it was there). She then said it didn't matter, that suite upgrades couldn't be given until check-in. I told her I wasn't asking for a Platinum upgrade, I wanted to use my Suite Night Awards. She said again said it didn't matter. I ended up splitting the bookings into a one night reservation for the night the suite wasn't available and a 5 night award for the nights the suite showed as available, but ended up getting denied once again. Now spg.com shows suites available for the last 4 nights, but not the first two nights. So now I suppose I can split the reservation once again and request the SNA award for the last 4 nights, but at this point it feels like the hotel is playing a game with me. It seems strange that two nights ago they showed suite availability for the whole trip, then after I was denied they showed suite availability only for the last 5 nights, and now that I've been denied a 2nd time now they show suite availability for only for the last 4 nights. I'm guessing I'm going to see more of the same at this point.
Today SPG once again showed the suite available for the last 5 nights - the exact 5 I was denied using SNAs for yesterday at 2 PM hotel time. So I called earlier today and they said the system would automatically book the room at 2 PM hotel time today. 2 PM hotel time came and went and the room has remained available before and after. I called the hotel directly and they agreed the room is available but said they have no control over booking the SNA nights - it should have been done automatically by the Platinum Desk. So I called the Platinum Desk and they told me they don't have authority over it either and that I should wait until tomorrow 2 PM hotel time and it should go through. I explained I had already done so twice and clearly the system wasn't working. I asked if the hotel doesn't have authority over it and they don't have authority over it, who does? They said that is just the way it is. I asked to talk to a manager. I was put on hold for 15 minutes. Then the line mysteriously disconnected. I called back and and talked to someone else. She told me that the system will automatically pull the room "when the hotel releases it. It might be 5 days before, or it not be until you arrive." I said that is not at all how it was explained to me. I was told by multiple Platinum Desk Reps that if the room was available at 2pm 5 days before check in it automatically is given to me. I then asked to talk to a manager once again. This time I was connected to one within a couple minutes. She repeated what the last rep had told me - that just because it shows available doesn't mean it has been released to the system. She said several times that "the system is probably still working on it." Not sure what that meant. She said that I should wait a few days and see if I get an email. I said that's not very reassuring as in a few days I'll be checking into the hotel and I would like to switch hotels if I'm not given a suite for at least some of the nights. Finally, she told me if I called back tomorrow they could probably call the front desk of the hotel and get me the room if it was still available. I asked why she couldn't do it today and she said it is "still too far out." I said it is four days away and she said "yes, that is too far out." Any advice on what to do next, if anything, would be appreciated.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Today SPG once again showed the suite available for the last 5 nights - the exact 5 I was denied using SNAs for yesterday at 2 PM hotel time. So I called earlier today and they said the system would automatically book the room at 2 PM hotel time today. 2 PM hotel time came and went and the room has remained available before and after. I called the hotel directly and they agreed the room is available but said they have no control over booking the SNA nights - it should have been done automatically by the Platinum Desk. So I called the Platinum Desk and they told me they don't have authority over it either and that I should wait until tomorrow 2 PM hotel time and it should go through. I explained I had already done so twice and clearly the system wasn't working. I asked if the hotel doesn't have authority over it and they don't have authority over it, who does? They said that is just the way it is. I asked to talk to a manager. I was put on hold for 15 minutes. Then the line mysteriously disconnected. I called back and and talked to someone else. She told me that the system will automatically pull the room "when the hotel releases it. It might be 5 days before, or it not be until you arrive." I said that is not at all how it was explained to me. I was told by multiple Platinum Desk Reps that if the room was available at 2pm 5 days before check in it automatically is given to me. I then asked to talk to a manager once again. This time I was connected to one within a couple minutes. She repeated what the last rep had told me - that just because it shows available doesn't mean it has been released to the system. She said several times that "the system is probably still working on it." Not sure what that meant. She said that I should wait a few days and see if I get an email. I said that's not very reassuring as in a few days I'll be checking into the hotel and I would like to switch hotels if I'm not given a suite for at least some of the nights. Finally, she told me if I called back tomorrow they could probably call the front desk of the hotel and get me the room if it was still available. I asked why she couldn't do it today and she said it is "still too far out." I said it is four days away and she said "yes, that is too far out." Any advice on what to do next, if anything, would be appreciated.
It has been suggested a few times, have you messaged ALL the lurker staff? Call, and keep calling, until you reach someone at the platinum desk willing to help you
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
It seems the system is just not working, Some worked fie and some didnt, I wish we knew where is the problem but yes the hotel have nothing to do with it, There should be a way to override this.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers
It has been suggested a few times, have you messaged ALL the lurker staff? Call, and keep calling, until you reach someone at the platinum desk willing to help you
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It seems the system is just not working, Some worked fie and some didnt, I wish we knew where is the problem but yes the hotel have nothing to do with it, There should be a way to override this.
So there is a happy ending to all this. I called the hotel once more and asked to talk to a manager. I explained the whole ordeal and explained that it was my parents' 40th anniversary and that I wanted the suite for them and I had to know today because it was my last chance to cancel without getting charged and I planned to cancel the reservations for both rooms to go to another hotel if I couldn't get the suite upgrade confirmation (this was all true). After putting me on hold for 10 minutes she said as a good-will gesture for all I went through she would confirm my upgrade.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:58 pm

Good for you, but this is sad. Clearly the system is not working and I can't believe the manager had to do it as a 'good-will-gesture' for something that Platinum members with 50 nights are entitled for. I hope my experience won't have to be as annoying.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I can't believe the manager had to do it as a 'good-will-gesture'
Platinums these days are getting alot of good will gestures. Maybe it's a benefit no one knows about.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: A few
Where is the "good-will" in screwing the customer until the last minute and then providing what they should have done in the first place?

This "benefit" like most things with SPG is half-baked and unreliable. They really should look at Hyatt for a role-model in how to implement things properly, usefully and consistently.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Good for you, but this is sad. Clearly the system is not working and I can't believe the manager had to do it as a 'good-will-gesture' for something that Platinum members with 50 nights are entitled for. I hope my experience won't have to be as annoying.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Where is the "good-will" in screwing the customer until the last minute and then providing what they should have done in the first place?

This "benefit" like most things with SPG is half-baked and unreliable. They really should look at Hyatt for a role-model in how to implement things properly, usefully and consistently.

I agree, for a benefit that is supposed to be especially for SPG's most loyal customers it seems to be more trouble that it is worth.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
I agree, for a benefit that is supposed to be especially for SPG's most loyal customers it seems to be more trouble that it is worth.
Saying it's a "good will gesture" is wrong by the hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.