Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So you've call the Plat Desk and they can't/won't find out why it's being denied? You might try sending a PM to the Lurker's (did I see William is out of the office) and see if they can shed some light on why and maybe break something open.
Yes, plat desk said they were not able to submit the request.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JWAustinVTX
Yes, plat desk said they were not able to submit the request.
Sounds like a good example of why to call back in. I would suspect a good Plat agent would find out why and not just drop it at "Can't be done". Time to bring the Lurkers into the loop.

BTW, reviewed forum and it was Lurker I & II that had an out of office update.

Last edited by RogerD408; Aug 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
I just wanted to share that I was 3 for 3 in Europe last week. I received Suite Night Upgrades at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton, Munich Le Meridian, and Zurich Sheraton Schloss. Everything worked as advertised. The suites were great and the service at each property was great.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Three Rooms on one reservation will not work.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
According to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ar-merged.html

19.Can I request a Suite Night Award upgrade for more than one room at a time?

Yes, if the additional rooms are part of your reservation, you can request an upgrade as long as you have enough Suite Night Awards to cover the entire length of your stay for each room. One Suite Night Award is required per room, per night.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:55 pm

...BTW, reviewed forum and it was Lurker II that had an out of office update.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19136920-post250.html
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, National Executive Elite
I read this too - I certainly have enough. I was under impression you would still have the option to request upgrade even in situation where no suites were currently available.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JWAustinVTX
I read this too - I certainly have enough. I was under impression you would still have the option to request upgrade even in situation where no suites were currently available.
Always good to be up on the T&Cs. My response was to:
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As suggested, either call the Plat line again and hope for a more engaged agent or contact one of the Lurkers to look into this when they return to the office.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by mecabq

There are other hotels (e.g., St. Regis Osaka) in which some categories of room are simply the same room as others but on higher floors or supposedly better views, and the "Suite Night" is good for an "upgrade" to one of those rooms.
I've just tried to use my SNA there. Have read the previous comments in the thread about this property I think it's a bit of a con really.

There's no way I'm using a SNA for some kind of nebulous upgrade to a slightly better view in the same category of room. As a platinum they should already be doing that for us.

The whole point about these awards is that when you go away on holiday, you can actually try and confirm a decent upgrade, rather than when you're away on busines by yourself and don't really need it.

An upgrade that isn't even one is pointless and the hotel shouldn't be allowed to devalue the programme like this.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I've just tried to use my SNA there. Have read the previous comments in the thread about this property I think it's a bit of a con really.

There's no way I'm using a SNA for some kind of nebulous upgrade to a slightly better view in the same category of room. As a platinum they should already be doing that for us.

The whole point about these awards is that when you go away on holiday, you can actually try and confirm a decent upgrade, rather than when you're away on busines by yourself and don't really need it.

An upgrade that isn't even one is pointless and the hotel shouldn't be allowed to devalue the programme like this.

This is around the 20th post where someone says "the hotel should not be allowed to.........". While I agree the hotels should stick as much as psbl to the T&C's, there are times or certain hotels that will bend the rules to max their profits. I'm not saying this is right or wrong (but i lean to the side of wrong). However, SPG only has so much power. These hotels pay Starwood a fortune to use their name and any single hotel is going to be much more important then any single guest. (they are both "customers" of Starwood. Anyone that thinks Starwood has much power over individual hotels when it comes to "the little things" is kidding themselves. (and that's the same for any other chain that consists of individually owned hotels). Sure, if you want to call yourself a Westin, you must meet min conditions & do things the Starwood way. But SPG is just a small part of Starwood Corp and they are not in any position to nor would they cause problems for a hotel because of how they handle Suite Upgrades"
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:50 pm

I tried using my SNAs for a vacation next week and was denied. I checked online to find that suites were not available for the first night but were available for the 5 nights following (the same type of suite I had originally applied the SNAs toward). I called the hotel directly and explained the situation with the SNAs being denied, but showing availability outside that first night. I asked if we could be moved after the first night but they said they didn't see any suites available in the system. I could see them as available on SPG.com which was strange. So I booked them and gave her a confirmation number to prove they were there and asked if she could see the suite reserved with that reservation number (knowing I could just cancel the reservation after proving it was there). She then said it didn't matter, that suite upgrades couldn't be given until check-in. I told her I wasn't asking for a Platinum upgrade, I wanted to use my Suite Night Awards. She said again said it didn't matter.

Am I out of line asking to use SNA for 5 nights out of a 6 night stay or is that against SNA rules? Any advice?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Amy28
I tried using my SNAs for a vacation next week and was denied. I checked online to find that suites were not available for the first night but were available for the 5 nights following (the same type of suite I had originally applied the SNAs toward). I called the hotel directly and explained the situation with the SNAs being denied, but showing availability outside that first night. I asked if we could be moved after the first night but they said they didn't see any suites available in the system. I could see them as available on SPG.com which was strange. So I booked them and gave her a confirmation number to prove they were there and asked if she could see the suite reserved with that reservation number (knowing I could just cancel the reservation after proving it was there). She then said it didn't matter, that suite upgrades couldn't be given until check-in. I told her I wasn't asking for a Platinum upgrade, I wanted to use my Suite Night Awards. She said again said it didn't matter.

Am I out of line asking to use SNA for 5 nights out of a 6 night stay or is that against SNA rules? Any advice?
If the rate is flexible, why not seperate the booking so you can get the rest confirmed?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:39 pm

I ended up splitting the bookings as you suggested, but ended up getting denied once again. Now spg.com shows suites available for the last 4 nights, but not the first two nights. So now I suppose I can split the reservation once again and request the SNA award for the last 4 nights, but at this point it feels like the hotel is playing a game with me. It seems strange that two nights ago they showed suite availability for the whole trip, then after I was denied they showed suite availability only for the last 5 nights, and now that I've been denied a 2nd time now they show suite availability for only for the last 4 nights. I'm guessing I'm going to see more of the same at this point.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I ended up splitting the bookings as you suggested, but ended up getting denied once again. Now spg.com shows suites available for the last 4 nights, but not the first two nights. So now I suppose I can split the reservation once again and request the SNA award for the last 4 nights, but at this point it feels like the hotel is playing a game with me. It seems strange that two nights ago they showed suite availability for the whole trip, then after I was denied they showed suite availability only for the last 5 nights, and now that I've been denied a 2nd time now they show suite availability for only for the last 4 nights. I'm guessing I'm going to see more of the same at this point.
It could be a fun experiment to keep going. Split another night off the reservation, see what happens, report back, rinse and repeat. If the hotel does this six times, it's a more convincing data point than just observing that this has happened once or twice.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I think it's just a coincidence, as MSPeconomist suggested, try again and let's see how this works. I hope it's in your favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.