Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Every Night Counts (2X or 3X points) Sept 8 - Dec 15 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Every Night Counts (2X or 3X points) Sept 8 - Dec 15 2010

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I like the promo but the list of participating hotels is extremely weak. No W/Sheraton/Westin/Le Meridien in NYC? No hotels in Palo Alto? None of the others mentioned in this thread? It is annoying to have to look up hotels in the list and disappointing when they are not on there.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:51 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by saad
careful.....some people here will treat that remark as you apologizing on behalf of starwood....
It probably says more about the type of hotel/areas I frequent than my views of Starwood.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Dumb question...

I know this is a very DUMB question, but here it goes....

If I stay (and pay) at a NON participating Starwood hotel I realize that I do not earn any promotional points for that stay.

BUT does that stay count toward the night credit of the promotion?

So I have stayed 9 nights at participating starwood hotels, my 10th night it at a NON participating location, does that night push me over the threshold so I hit 10 nights, BUT only earn promotional points on the 9 participating stays?

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Per the FAQ link on the promotion website:

What qualifies as an eligible night?
An eligible night is any night at an SPG property participating in the Every Night Counts promotion paying a qualifying eligible rate that earns Starpoints.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Sadly, I agree with sbtinme at post 72.

This looks like a watershed moment in the SPG program. If we see double nights or any good, or better promotions any time soon, I'll be amazed.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Q3 promo will be triple points. However participating properties are limited to 2 in Asia, 1 in Europe and 4points Miami Beach in US.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post14263318

It's scary how accurate I was even though I was only speculating. I even got the Miami Beach 4p part correct.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by kitsura
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post14263318

It's scary how accurate I was even though I was only speculating. I even got the Miami Beach 4p part correct.
want a cookie?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
Originally Posted by onfillmore
Bangkok , I notice has all the Hotels listed as they try everything to get guests in.To anyone with a vacation booked in Thailand , you are looking at an array of extra points.
The Thailand properties are participating, but getting double or perhaps triple Starpoints off the base spend when prices there are already fairly low isn't that exciting. This promo is probably a winner for someone traveling on a corporate expense account at an pricey, participating hotel where double/triple Starpoints can add up quick to something meaningful.

I've already hit Platinum for the year and qualified for "Returning Rewards", so even with upcoming Thailand stays for business (run my own) this promotion does nothing to steer me towards Starwood -- no free nights for X number of stays or rollover nights to next year or anything. So now SPG competes with whatever I can find elsewhere.

As an example, I've switched my Bangkok nights now to the five-star President Solitaire hotel. The "Platinum Suite" comes with free breakfast, Internet and 4pm checkout (sounds familiar!) and prices at $222 for 3 nights inclusive of all tax (I also have a $50 coupon that lowered it to $172 on Travelocity). Savings: $150-200 vs. SPG over 3 days (and guaranteed suite). I may be there for 9-12 nights and can repeat this same booking.

I wish Starwood would have *something* to entice those of us already at Platinum who aren't going to pay extra now just to snag a stay/night credit. This promo and timing tells me that they're happy with the level of bookings for 4Q. The lack of participation from many hotels is an indication that this promo isn't going to move the needle enough for them in extra bookings to warrant giving everyone extra Starpoints.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:51 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Weak promotion. The only thing this does is cull the herd or Platinum-lite members for 2011.

For the promotion (exclusive of the normal *points and elite bonuses), if I stay 10 nights @$150/nt I receive 3 X * points or 10 X 150 X 3 = 4,500. That's it?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Vulcan
For the promotion (exclusive of the normal *points and elite bonuses), if I stay 10 nights @$150/nt I receive 3 X * points or 10 X 150 X 3 = 4,500. That's it?
No. You get 6,000 bonus points because the normal rate is 2 points per dollar.

Each night =
  • 300 normal points
  • 600 bonus points
  • 150 elite points
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
So if my Company has me booked (my SPG number entered, but their credit card) at a hotel, I am not going to earn the eligable nights required?

Tell me I am wrong please.....

Tasnam
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by NJDesi27
This promo and timing tells me that they're happy with the level of bookings for 4Q. The lack of participation from many hotels is an indication that this promo isn't going to move the needle enough for them in extra bookings to warrant giving everyone extra Starpoints.
I believe Starwood are gambling that 4Q will be strong in North America.
When the cold sets in will the projections hold up in the Midwest?
Will occupancy rates remain strong in NYC with the recent rate rises?
I see another promo early November when the Revpar figures are rubbery and great uncertainty abounds.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrredskin
want a cookie?
LOL. Thought the same thing.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by tasnam
So if my Company has me booked (my SPG number entered, but their credit card) at a hotel, I am not going to earn the eligable nights required?

Tell me I am wrong please.....
Actually, this is how many of us book our travel. I'm in precisely the same boat as you -- I must use our corporate travel booking site for lodging and I must use my corporate AMEX card for all expenses. But, as long as I'm choosing where to stay and my SPG number is on the reservation, I always get full SPG credit. (Same is true for all the other programs, too -- Hilton, Marriott, etc.)
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by onfillmore
I believe Starwood are gambling that 4Q will be strong in North America.
When the cold sets in will the projections hold up in the Midwest?
Will occupancy rates remain strong in NYC with the recent rate rises?
I see another promo early November when the Revpar figures are rubbery and great uncertainty abounds.
Good points and with the economy forecast to weaken, not strengthen, this current promotion may very well need to be supplemented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.