Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Every Night Counts (2X or 3X points) Sept 8 - Dec 15 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Every Night Counts (2X or 3X points) Sept 8 - Dec 15 2010

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:32 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
too bad the new westin on phuket is not on the list :/
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by med133
This latest SPG promotion is a joke, none of my regular hotels are listed as taking part including Le Meridien, Munich Germany. SPG would have been better doing nothing at all - what a disappointment. Just when SPG were beginning to go up in my estimations too - looks like it is back to ICG for me.
welcome to ft med133....it may be just me but i believe any promo is 'better than doing nothing at all'....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by saad
welcome to ft med133....it may be just me but i believe any promo is 'better than doing nothing at all'....
I see the Starwood Apologist is up early
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher
its actually late afternoon here right now, so i have been up defending starwood for atleast 9 hours since this morning....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:03 am

its actually late afternoon here right now, so i have been up defending starwood for atleast 9 hours since this morning....
My apologies re the time Mr. Tendulkar
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My apologies re the time Mr. Tendulkar
apology accepted....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Yes. All SPG-participating properties were given the option to participate and the ones you see on the participating properties list for this promotion are the ones that opted in. What specifically drove any particular property to not opt in, I have no way of knowing, but these are the ones that are playing this round.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Sadly then another sucky promo from SPG. WHy on earth give the option? I don't see Hyatt giving the option.

I am guessing if Hyatt bring BWB or similar that will seal my fate at Andaz instead of W in NY for the rest of this year. I guess those W's think they can do fine on their own
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Are there more than nomral property that decided not to join this promotion - perhaps reconizing this promotion is non-effective?
Or possibly an indication that the market for some hotels is starting to strengthen. They may have felt they didn't need to pay for a promo since they are doing very well without it.

BTW, I guess I'm in the lucky few as the hotels I frequent are participating. ^
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
I will do my part of the work to make Starwood hotels understand that promotions are important by not participating in the program for the next months. I will whereever possible choose another hotel chain, as I won't make the needed 10 nights in participating hotels anyways.

I guess it doesn't pay to complain, hotels need to feel the need to participate in Starwood promotions. And all we can do until then is be consequent about it (if we do feel that way).

Although I feel sorry for the participating hotels, as the promotion itself in my eyes is very good, and the participating hotels can't do anything about the ones opting out. But that's life I guess...
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it may be just me but i believe any promo is 'better than doing nothing at all'....
Originally Posted by hhoope01
BTW, I guess I'm in the lucky few as the hotels I frequent are participating. ^
careful.....some people here will treat that remark as you apologizing on behalf of starwood....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I think the promo itself is fine -- they are giving away more than the normal and we should recognize that it's a bonus. These promos aren't ever going to suit every member's needs.

That being said, I think it's a crock that hotels can opt out. Can you imagine MI offering hotels the ability to stay out of the megabonus? Or Hyatt's to stay out of running promos? I love *wood, don't get me wrong, but I hate the fact that I have to go look up which hotels are participating before I go on a trip, and that right there makes me want to work on my MR status.

Like usual, the Westin Edina in MN is out of the game -- I guess I'll just have to get used to that hotel NEVER participating in any promotion that costs them.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Um, get used to it. The hotel business is coming back. Given the increases in RevPAR, I think we are lucky to get a promo at all.
This comment rings a little hollow to me. Since its inception, the SPG affinity program has been very aggressive with stay promotions -- both in heady times and in tough times. It's hard to remember a time when the program wasn't offering a very rich offer for those consumers willing to spend a significant number of nights with their properties.

My point is that this may mark a turning point in the SPG program. My hunch is that, in an attempt to minimize promtional costs, the SPG program with this offer passed on a greater cost to the individual properties, which is why we're seeing so many more of them opting out. That's a shame, but it's the reality. While I'm certain that some hotels are seeing their business return to more profitable levels, I also suspect that some properties opted out of this promo due to a higher participation cost. It's worth noting that several properties that have *ALWAYS* participated in previous promotions opted out for this one. I suspect that may have more to do with the associated costs than it does with the property's overall health.

Just my $00.02.

If SPG feels that it's in a position to pull back on promotions, then good for them. But, it must be pointed out that this marks a notable change for the program -- one that has been known for besting the competitions' promotions now for a decade.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Who Knows - There May Be More ?

It seems much of the "panel" is slightly underwhelmed. Although not great for me personally, I'm always glad to see promos around as it helps decision-making for all of us one way or the other.

Having said that, it still is early and perhaps we will see something in Q4 like last year where there were the options of double stays or stays counting toward next year's status etc.

I may be naive but I'm holding out a bit of hope at this point - only time will tell.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Looks like my little birdie was right ;-)
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Soliciting questions but not comments - wise man
Soliciting or not, it is not stopping anybody from commenting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.