Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Every Night Counts (2X or 3X points) Sept 8 - Dec 15 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Every Night Counts (2X or 3X points) Sept 8 - Dec 15 2010

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:59 pm

Folks, lets get some balance here.

During the last nearly 2 years (almost) all Hotels have been hard hit,rates have fallen and GM's have looked at ways of controlling costs just like all businesses.
Starwood are hopeful now that the better times are close by and are looking to improve all their performance parameters.
This will allow them to strengthen their economic position and allow them to review the SPG program with a view to keeping it as the market leader for the years ahead of us.This will also allow them to grow further in regions where opportunities exist and developers come to them wanting to support a Starwood brand.

Take this promo for what it is. If it suits you or not suits you accept it and move on.
For those of you feeling outraged it shows us all that Starwood are looking to the future rather than merely heavily discounting to fill Hotels today.The later strategy is not one that would inspire potential owners and developers looking at new opportunities.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aussiechris
During the last nearly 2 years (almost) all Hotels have been hard hit,rates have fallen
I'd love to know where you're staying. Every hotel I've looked at this year is significantly more expensive than last year.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd love to know where you're staying. Every hotel I've looked at this year is significantly more expensive than last year.
Mahat,I think you have misread what I am saying , rates have started to rise but aside from some areas they are no where near where they were.
What we have seen is not a rise "across the board" but a rise in certain markets like NYC. Other US markets like Chicago are much slower to move on rates.
I am planning a trip to Atlanta soon and have lower rates to look at than 3 years ago....

Last edited by aussiechris; Aug 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Whether rates are rising or not, the SPG hotels still have competition from other brands. Even when the economy is good and rates are sky high, most hotels still have competitors. They still run promos. I don't see how this coming quarter is any different unless they expect to fill up rooms by some other competitive advantage.

What seems most unusual about the lack of participation in this particular promo is that it seems like there is some regional collusion. In some markets such as NYC, multiple hotels (with separate owners) have chosen not to participate. Did they all make this decision on their own?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by sc flier
What seems most unusual about the lack of participation in this particular promo is that it seems like there is some regional collusion. In some markets such as NYC, multiple hotels (with separate owners) have chosen not to participate. Did they all make this decision on their own?
Imagine if the only W in NYC opting in was say the W on Lex?
Would they take business from the others?
Why are none of the Sydney properties opting in (all 3 have different owners and one of them is Starwood)
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:55 pm

What we have seen is not a rise "across the board" but a rise in certain markets like NYC. Other US markets like Chicago are much slower to move on rates.
I am planning a trip to Atlanta soon and have lower rates to look at than 3 years ago....
Yes Atlanta is saturated with Hotels wanting to do deals.
I remember in late 2007 trying to visit NYC at short notice in mid December and the lowest room rate a Starwood hotel could offer me was $600 for the night.
Ahhh..the good old days!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Which Sydney property is owned by Starwood? Seems odd that Starwood Corporate would corral their own properties into an SPG promo.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Darnnot, "would not corral"

* sorry, can't edit post with mobile FT on BB.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Which Sydney property is owned by Starwood? Seems odd that Starwood Corporate would corral their own properties into an SPG promo.
Sheraton On The Park is still owned by Starwood despite some recent offers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Take this promo for what it is. If it suits you or not suits you, accept it and move on.
You're right in so far, that even a sucky promo is better than no promo at all.
I've been a long time member of the Steigenberger Award program and have never seen a chain-wide promo there in the five years that I've been an Elite member there.

For me this just illustrates, that SPG has really done great promos in the past, so FTers seem to be somewhat spoilt by now and voice their concerns heavily if a promo is less than awesome.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
in the bigger cities, yes....but not in the smaller cities....

prices in places like new york & london are definitely up, but i travel to a lot of the smaller cities & the prices there are generally the same....some even cheaper than the last couple of years....
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:57 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
You're right in so far, that even a sucky promo is better than no promo at all.
I've been a long time member of the Steigenberger Award program and have never seen a chain-wide promo there in the five years that I've been an Elite member there.

For me this just illustrates, that SPG has really done great promos in the past, so FTers seem to be somewhat spoilt by now and voice their concerns heavily if a promo is less than awesome.
Yes, SPG did good promos in the past. The reason for the dissatisfaction in regards to all the latest promos has something to do that Starwood has stopped doing good promos while other chains continue putting out more offers.

For me the latest promos are so weak that I will only do points booking for the rest of the year and send my revenue bookings elsewhere.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:34 am

Hi William,

The link in your op post seems to be broken.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:08 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by camsean
The link in your op post seems to be broken.
It worked for me just fine.

Do note that per the OP (and the link) you can't register for a while yet.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:32 am

Nice, thanks for the heads up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.