Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I'm Platinum SPG & having big probs getting Amenity points credited

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm Platinum SPG & having big probs getting Amenity points credited

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Over recent years, until this April, my 500-point amenity choices had been automatically posting almost without fail. Starting in April, I noticed two in a row which had not posted despite being selected at the hotel check-in process. They were credited easily by the SPG Plat desk, though.

In my most recent stay, Sheraton Seattle, the SPG agent was instructing a trainee in c/o procedures and took the time to instrruct the trainee to ensure that if the Plat guest selected the 500-point amenity, that it was properly set up to post; so, at least at this property, there is a way to double-check at c/o that the amenity is set-up to post. ^
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You can help us to help you by being part of the solution or you can vent your frustrations here...your choice.

[email protected]
William -- I know that you're just the intermediary on these sorts of issues, and I'm sure you get tired of pushing up against the wall, but from the viewpoint of a consumer, anything more than a tiny fraction of one percent is just unacceptable.

I'd be beyond furious if one percent or more of my business mail went missing. I'm fairly confident that 99.999% of my mail gets to me eventually and I've never complained once. Surely there are infinitely more ways for a manual process that involves small pieces of mail, various countries and dozens of handlers to screw up delivery when compared to amenity points for a hotel chain.

Not trying to nit-pick here at all. Just expressing my real hope that this issue is getting the internal attention it deserves.

You're certainly correct: the process whereby a guest must contact SPG to request that the points post is an easy and short one. However, most of us never take the time to actually review our accounts to ensure that they posted in the first place. As others have noted, I only took the time to do so when I read on FT that others were having serious issues. When I took the time to do so, I, too, found significant gaps that SPG quickly fixed.

If I'd not been alerted to the issue, I can tell you that there would've been a slim chance I'd ever been aware of the missing points.

Starwood can do better than this.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:54 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sbtinme
...Just expressing my real hope that this issue is getting the internal attention it deserves.
Yes, it is.

Starwood can do better than this.
But, not without your continued diligence in reporting any that are missing.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by iwpingmu
5 out of 9 has not been posted during the past 2 months (250/500 platinum amenity), but very pleased after the calls with a SPG agent
Between me and my wife, we must have missed at least 12-15 platinum amenity credits this year.
This seems to be a hotel specific problem- some hotels post without any problem, some of them do not.
I did not know that reward stays also are entitled to 500 starpoints credit- something I need to chase up!
While Platinum amenity not posting is annoying, the real pain is when stays do not post which has started to happen with increasing regularity of late Le Meridien hotel are the major culprit here from my experience so far.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sbtinme
William -- I know that you're just the intermediary on these sorts of issues, and I'm sure you get tired of pushing up against the wall, but from the viewpoint of a consumer, anything more than a tiny fraction of one percent is just unacceptable.
No, shoot the messenger, shoot the messenger!

Okay, seriously, maybe you can address this from a different direction when talking to the man behind the curtain.

Let's look at this from a cost perspective: When I worked at a call center, we estimated that each call cost us $12. That was in 1996, so I'm guessing that it's higher now. Four of my last five bonuses have not posted. I had to call once for each, and for one of them I had to call twice. That's $60 out of HOT's pocket (ummmm, hot pockets...), not to mention any of the back office work that has to go into it. Imagine how much money the company could save if it cut that 1% number to zero by having the points post automatically unless the person at the front desk overrides it! The six sigma gurus will go wild.

Mike
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:09 pm

Thumbs down 1 year later - it justs get worse!

Originally Posted by Globehopper
It may be a run of bad luck or slippage in quality control, but it seems that since the start of this year, I've had to phone up and request my platinum amenity (500 pts) for at least 1/3rd of my stays as they did not automatically post.

Anyone else had this experience?
Since starting this thread a year ago, the success ratio in Europe is even worse this year than last.

I just returned from a three week European vacation staying at:

- Le Meridien Montparnasse (Paris) - points stay
- Le Meridien Nice - points
- Westin Rome - C&P
- Le Meridien Barcelona - points
- Westin Madrid Palace - points
- Sheraton Bilbao - paid in Euros

None, none of the 500 Plat amenity points at the above properties posted!!!

This means another call to the PC to get my points (which is not welcome with many post vacation things to do).

In addition, the on line booking bonus for Bilbao has not posted, although it may be a bit too soon after departure.

This is a shame, as we had great rooms at each of the above properties. Not a dog of a room at any of the above stays. Rome, Barcelona and Madrid stays provided noteworthy service.

The continuing PA posting problem have not improved one year on.

If anyone is interested, I can post trip reports for the above hotels.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Globehopper, I hope you call customer service not the PC and file a complaint.

William has said this is the only way to track which properties are not living up to SPG published benefits. Also, doing this might spare the next Platinum from going thru the same experience.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:44 pm

Lancaster PC is now telling me that Award and CP stays don't get a PA!!!

So much for painless post PA posting.

I was on the phone now for over 15 mins with T**** , a PC (Lancaster, CA call center) who argued that Starwood and C&P stays are not eligible for Plat Amenties, and that was why none of my PA posted!

She summarily put me on hold as she checked with a supervisor whether such stays are eligible for Plat benefits. (I was very tempted to hang up and try a different person).

She returned with the news that her supervisor I*** (also in Lancaster) stated that Luxury Collection hotels are not eligible for Plat Amenties!

She further stated that all Le Meridien hotels listed in my prior posting are considered Luxury Collection properties! According to her supervisor, this is stated in the T&C on the SPG.com website (which I've checked and see no supporting evidence).

So as it stands now, I have wasted over 20 minutes in fruitless pursuit of my PA, and am no closer to getting these missing PA posted.

William, I'd be pleased to provide the names of both persons, so that they can be properly instructed before futher disinformation is spread and to hopefully avoid a repitition of this hassle to others. I also need your help to get my missing PA points posted after the fact for all 6 hotels.

What a hassle!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Why don't you call CUSTOMER SERVICE not the PC?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I'd said my luck is running about 75% this year. About a quarter of my stays, I ahve had to call and ask that the 500 amenity be added. SPG is slipping......but overall, still the best! ^
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Why don't you call CUSTOMER SERVICE not the PC?
Does emailing customer service ([email protected]) have the same effect on the hotel (inquiry, possible retraining point,etc) as calling customer service?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:46 pm
Suspended

please add westin bellevue to the list. After 3 weeks, no posting of any stay or points.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Globehopper
William, I'd be pleased to provide the names of both persons, so that they can be properly instructed before futher disinformation is spread and to hopefully avoid a repitition of this hassle to others. I also need your help to get my missing PA points posted after the fact for all 6 hotels.

What a hassle!
Hi Globehopper,

I apologise for all the trouble you have gone through. Please send the names to either William or myself.

Meanwhile, do give Customer Care a call for your Amenity points if you have not done so.

Thank you for your kind patience and understanding.

[email protected]
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by newlin99
Does emailing customer service ([email protected]) have the same effect on the hotel (inquiry, possible retraining point,etc) as calling customer service?
Hi newlin99,

Yes, if your "effect" is due to a member bringing up the issue on "properties not crediting amenity points on time".

Both would be attended by the same group of colleagues in Customer Care.

[email protected]
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by icarius
please add westin bellevue to the list. After 3 weeks, no posting of any stay or points.
Another addition to the list: Westin Grand Berlin for not posting the 500 points plat amenity. Called the PC a couple of days ago who promised she would fix it. Still waiting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.