FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   I'm Platinum SPG & having big probs getting Amenity points credited (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1095255-im-platinum-spg-having-big-probs-getting-amenity-points-credited.html)

mlawless Apr 18, 2006 5:37 am

Chasing Platinum Amenities (points)

I have been staying almost exclusively at Starwood properties this year for my business travel. As a newly minted platinum I am getting mixed results with upgrades, but have had a few nice suites.

My biggest inconvenience with SPG Platinum is that I have to chase down my 500 point amenity gift nearly 75% of the time.

It seems, that in my experience, very rarely does the hotel end up posting this. I usually have to call the Platinum Line a week after the stay to get the points properly credited.

When the hotels do post the points, they post immediately along with the stay points.

Does anybody esle find that they have to chase down these points as well?

Besides that, I have been pretty pleased with the Platinum level.

TerryK Apr 18, 2006 7:06 am

I echo your sentiment although I am batting better than 50/50. I think it will benefit everyone by making this a preference item for Plats. If a Plat could indicate 500 points as his/her preference, than the hotels don't even need to ask about the choice and the 500 points should always post.

qeialto Apr 18, 2006 8:04 am

This year only one proposal about the 500points at the Westin Tokio, no other proposal.
Very good general feedback about the Platinum previledges

The Weekly Flyer Apr 18, 2006 8:12 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
I echo your sentiment although I am batting better than 50/50. I think it will benefit everyone by making this a preference item for Plats. If a Plat could indicate 500 points as his/her preference, than the hotels don't even need to ask about the choice and the 500 points should always post.

This is already the case. When I check in the hotels usually say "I see you are a platinum and I see you would like the points, we'll have those added".

Following my stay the regular points post within the week, and about 50/50 the plat amenity points are posted. I then proceed to accumulate a few dates then send the customerservice@starwood an email. The responses from here are less than consistent. I've had responses of we'll add the points all the way to removing a stay because I checked in at 12:31AM. Which further creates things for me to chase down....Its a never ending cycle and getting very frustrating.

fireworksboy Apr 18, 2006 11:10 am

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
This is already the case. When I check in the hotels usually say "I see you are a platinum and I see you would like the points, we'll have those added".

Following my stay the regular points post within the week, and about 50/50 the plat amenity points are posted. I then proceed to accumulate a few dates then send the customerservice@starwood an email. The responses from here are less than consistent. I've had responses of we'll add the points all the way to removing a stay because I checked in at 12:31AM. Which further creates things for me to chase down....Its a never ending cycle and getting very frustrating.

I think what TerryK was indicating was it would be nice to have the 500 point amenity included on your online profile and would be included in your reserrvation. Then, unless you changed your mind at checkin, SPG.com would automatically post the 500 points unless the hotel indicated NOT to do so. I don't know if they could make it work but I'd opt in.

limo Apr 18, 2006 12:43 pm

I share the same disappointment that I had to monitor my SPG account balance to chase down missing 500 pts every so often. I think I have about 60% success rate usually but still its a hassle.

William, is there a code word that we can mention to the check-in staff to get this taken care of during check-in? I know when I speak their language I have a better chance of getting what I want. For instance, at Hyatt properties, I would ask them to add "1W" code for the 1K bonus points for Diamond members.

Starwood Lurker Apr 18, 2006 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by limo
...William, is there a code word that we can mention to the check-in staff to get this taken care of during check-in? I know when I speak their language I have a better chance of getting what I want. For instance, at Hyatt properties, I would ask them to add "1W" code for the 1K bonus points for Diamond members.

Other than filling out the request form at check-in, no, I don't know of any special code you could give them.

If a hotel does not have the request forms, then I'm sure their SPG Hotel Coordinator would be able to assist them in getting some ordered.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

The Weekly Flyer Apr 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by limo
William, is there a code word that we can mention to the check-in staff to get this taken care of during check-in?

I do always hear them say I see that on your account as a preference. Then sometimes they said it is taken care of and other times they say the manager takes care of it in the morning.

I think it is when the manager "takes care of it in the morning" is when it doesn't post. I'll have to more actively track the checkin process and success rate of amenity points being posted. But as many of us know...with so many checkins it is sometimes difficult to track... (not to mention it is not exactly a high priority during the work week)

It would be nice if there was a code to tell them at check in (if there is one).

I don't think the occasional miss of amenity is a big deal (it happens), but when a few weeks add up it can mean a missed night in a Category 2 or 3. So it does end up being worth the constant follow up with customer care.

Flyfarfar

TerryK Apr 18, 2006 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
This is already the case. When I check in the hotels usually say "I see you are a platinum and I see you would like the points, we'll have those added"...

Interesting! SPG must like you more! :D This only happens to me when I am returning to a SPG hotel where the staff may recognize me anyway. It never happens when I am new to the particular hotel.

The Weekly Flyer Apr 18, 2006 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Interesting! This only happens to me when I am returning to a SPG hotel where the staff may recognize me anyway.

Your probably right, this happens when I'm at the same hotel, it may be local preference to the specific hotel that I frequent often.

TerryK Apr 18, 2006 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I think what TerryK was indicating was it would be nice to have the 500 point amenity included on your online profile and would be included in your reserrvation. Then, unless you changed your mind at checkin, SPG.com would automatically post the 500 points unless the hotel indicated NOT to do so. I don't know if they could make it work but I'd opt in.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I always choose 500 points whenever possible but they don't always post. :(

Tmpy Apr 18, 2006 3:33 pm

I had to chase every platinum amenity points as well and finally got so tired of it, I called the platinum line to complain. It always seems to be a certain hotel I stay at that never post the points. The csr I spoke to was stationed in Ireland and after I explained my frustration, she told me she was going to call the hotel and see what the problem was. Within 15 minutes she called me back and told me she spoke to the manager and will have this taken care of and it will be noted in my profile that I want the points. Following her phone call I received an email from the manager of the hotel I frequent offering me a generous amt. of points because of all the times they have missed sending the request for amenity points. Nice bonus and as the saying goes, "the squeeky wheels gets the oil".

doesun Apr 18, 2006 6:59 pm

I've had better experience as a newly minted platinum this year. The 500 amenity points, along with the regular points, usually post the next day after I've checked out. Never had a delay longer than 2 days to post.

vincom Apr 18, 2006 7:10 pm

I've never had to "chase" my points - lucky I guess.

-Vincent

wth Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm

I have been irritated by this problem as well. So far this year I have had to follow up on four out of twelve stays (33%). I find the problem occurs even when they ask my preference and even when they fill out the card. Sometimes, they never ask.

I write an e-mail to Starwood Customer Service for each occasion separately. And I insist on additional Goodwill Points for my trouble. Customer Service never offers them, but when they pass the e-mail along to the individual hotel, the hotels almost always oblige. I have received replies from some hotels, both e-mail and snail mail. My perspective, if Starwood drops the ball and I have to follow up, I should be compensated.