Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:04 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards--Official Southwest Airlines Spokesperson
What happens if you're on a Business Select fare and you change your flight within 36 hours of its departure? Are you still guaranteed a priority A boarding pass? Under all circumstances? Only if there are fewer Business Select customers on the particular flight than spaces pre-allocated for them in the A group? Something else (i.e. you go to the back of the A line, but still get an A)?
As someone already pointed out, this is mixing Business Select and A-List rules a little, but I do want to clarify what happens when you purchase a Business Select fare and want to go standby on another flight.

If there are still Business Select fares available on the flight to which you want to change, you will get all the benefits associated with Business Select. If there are not Business Select Fares available, you have two options. You can “downgrade” to the “Business Fare” (formerly “Anytime Refundable”) and receive a refund of the fare difference but none of the other amenities associated with Business Select (priority boarding, free drink and extra Rapid Rewards credit), or you can keep the Business Select reservation. If you keep the reservation as Business Select, you would forfeit the priority boarding but still get the free drink and extra Rapid Rewards credit.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:10 pm

This is about revenue, that's all

I've made my point about the new system from a customer perspective. As an A-lister, I might actually be moving backward in the boarding line now.

However, as I've looked at this from Southwest's perspective, it makes great sense for them. This is about generating new and higher revenues, plain and simple. And I say good for them if they can do it!

Fuel prices are through the roof and only climbing every week. That along with higher labor costs is squeezing the SW model that's made a profit for like 30 some years now.

They are having to adjust their model to get new and higher revenues and keep the company profitable. Leisure travelers are not going to pay higher fares, so that leaves SW going after more business travel.

I believe that SW has a great opportunity to get new business travel based upon the following...

1) Many business travellers love the frequent flights on major business routes (think DAL-HOU, CHI-STL, PHX-LAX, etc.)
2) All business travellers love the no change fee policy of Southwest
3) Small business folks love the affordable fares (they can't write off legacy full-fare to big customer)
4) What has been missing is ability to get a decent seat without standing in line an hour before flight (thus losing an hour of productivity)

This new system with letter/number boarding and guaranteed front of A removes that final barrier for many business customers. It will indeed generate heavy revenue for SW, and I think will exceed their $100 million estimate. That helps them maintain profitability in the new environment.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Since I'm not an A lister yet, we'll see what effect this has this weekend on my boarding sequence number. I'm betting it's not good.

I'll have to rethink the agony of going to BWI and paying a higher fare for a non-stop on WN vs flying out of DCA or IAD and making a connection. AA gets my business to LA next week out of IAD on the non-stop.... for less money than WN's connection out of BWI or IAD.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Much Ado about Nothing

Sure it would be nice to be one of the first 5 boarded to get that Exit Row.

But let's face it, not many here in the old days stood in line for 45 minutes to get that. In fact the general accepted practice was to keep seated and board near the end of the A line -- and get a seat that one thought would have an open middle --- usually behind the Exit Rows somewhere.

So if you board # 10 or #50, still have about the same selection as in the past.

For a very short time (past week or so except for SAT), if you had A-1-5, you could board first and not wait in line. That was great, but only an intermediate step to the new process.

I do not think the new process is better for ME, but not real upset with it. I think I am A-1 and will board, usually, one of first 20 (I think). Just checked - about 50 OW segments in past 12 months.

Lots of questions still.... we will see.

Last edited by SAPMAN; Nov 7, 2007 at 4:21 pm Reason: update
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
How do you figure? Two standard awards or (one) Freedom award gets you round-trip to Hawaii, that's the same as before, 32 credits.
Maybe I'm reading the RR Terms and Conditions wrong, but they provide:

"Two (2) Rapid Rewards Standard Awards or Freedom Awards are valid for one roundtrip to any destination ATA Airlines serves in Hawaii."

It doesn't say two RR or one Freedom Award.

As I said earlier...gotta wonder how availability looks [for a--ahem, two--standard RR(s)] for Hawaii now.

Edited to add: upon reading the Terms and Conditions more closely, I see that seat restrictions apply for codeshare and ATA travel even if you are using a Freedom Award!

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Nov 7, 2007 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler

"Two (2) Rapid Rewards Standard Awards or Freedom Awards are valid for one roundtrip to any destination ATA Airlines serves in Hawaii."
There is no advantage to using Freedom Awards on ATA metal. Don't convert 2 standard awards for that purpose.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler

It doesn't say two RR or one Freedom Award.

As I said earlier...gotta wonder how availability looks [for a--ahem, two--standard RR(s)] for Hawaii now.

Edited to add: upon reading the Terms and Conditions more closely, I see that seat restrictions apply for codeshare and ATA travel even if you are using a Freedom Award!
You're assuming the "Two (2)" applies to both the "Rapid Rewards Standard Awards" and "Freedom Awards", I thought it was pretty obvious that is not the correct interpretation even if their writing is not as clear as it should be.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
There is no advantage to using Freedom Awards on ATA metal. Don't convert 2 standard awards for that purpose.
There would be if they were expired and you were flying to Hawaii since it would only cost you $50 to extend a Freedom Award.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:46 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It takes 2 standard awards or two Freedom awards to go to Hawaii. Capacity controls apply either way. In summary: when you spend your Freedom awards on ATA flights, they spend the same as standard awards. You are paying twice as much as you need to.

Using Freedom Awards on ATA is possible, but no FTer would be caught dead doing it.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It takes 2 standard awards or two Freedom awards to go to Hawaii. Capacity controls apply either way. In summary: when you spend your Freedom awards on ATA flights, they spend the same as standard awards. You are paying twice as much as you need to.

Using Freedom Awards on ATA is possible, but no FTer would be caught dead doing it.
Well, reading the entire rule and not just the one sentence I was basing my statement on previously, it looks like you guys are right, the entire rule is:

"One (1) Rapid Rewards Standard Award or Freedom Award is valid for one roundtrip to any city Southwest Airlines or ATA Airlines serves in the continental U.S. Two (2) Rapid Rewards Standard Awards or Freedom Awards are valid for one roundtrip to any destination ATA Airlines serves in Hawaii. All Award Travel on codeshare (service involving a Southwest and ATA Airlines flight) or ATA Airlines-only service will be subject to seat restrictions whether you are traveling on a Standard Award or a Freedom Award."

With that further context I agree that you could spend 64 credits to travel to Hawaii if you wanted, but it does not require 64 credits, you are just allowed to spend that many if you want to, but you can also get the exact same flights for just 32 credits.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:00 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

An unintended consequence

Here's an excerpt of something I just posted over at blogsouthwest.com:

The new system will encourage the pre-boarding stick (cane) and other feigned disabilities. Southwest already has a reputation as the greatest healer outside Lourdes, with disabled passengers magically able to sprint off the plane after it lands. The new system will have Southwest rocketing to the top of the world’s healing centers. And Southwest will not be able to a thing about it. All that’s required is complete shamelessness on the part of the passenger. You read it here first. Where families in Orlando was the focus of pre-boarding abuse before, it will now be seniors in Ft. Lauderdale.

If you decide to fake a disability, don’t brag about it to your fellow passengers and don’t think that the gate agents don’t know EXACTLY what you’re doing. They’ve seen it all.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: swa
Sorry WN. This is becoming to complicating as I fly on business and then book a ticket for my wife many times. If we are split up in boarding, my wife will get upset. I no longer will fly WN as my first choice. It will be easier to book seats on another airline.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I think I have a question that has not been answered ( but gosh it was hard to scroll through over a hundred responses and take it all in ). What if your flights are clustered in certain months. I now achieve A-list. I am granted it for 1 year. At some point over the next couple of months I drop below 32 for a running year, but I still have A-list because it goes for 1 year. My 1 year is up and I currently do not have 32 in the past running year. But, I did have 32 at some points over the last year ( it goes up, it goes down) Does every time I cross that 32 barrier again push my status forward another year?

Did anything I said above make any sense? I know what I am trying to ask, I am just not sure I asked it.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx

The new system will encourage the pre-boarding stick (cane) and other feigned disabilities. Southwest already has a reputation as the greatest healer outside Lourdes, with disabled passengers magically able to sprint off the plane after it lands. The new system will have Southwest rocketing to the top of the world’s healing centers. And Southwest will not be able to a thing about it. All that’s required is complete shamelessness on the part of the passenger. You read it here first. Where families in Orlando was the focus of pre-boarding abuse before, it will now be seniors in Ft. Lauderdale.

If you decide to fake a disability, don’t brag about it to your fellow passengers and don’t think that the gate agents don’t know EXACTLY what you’re doing. They’ve seen it all.
NSX,

That is flat out scary. I think you are dead on the money with this thought.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by nsx

While I couldn't find it in myself to do this...it was one of the first thoughts I had for the "knowledgeable yet 'unfrequent' traveller" on WN. Then again...maybe I'll get there early...have a few drinks...and my shame level will drop to 0. Sad state of affairs indeed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.