Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

Originally Posted by nsx
I believe that BS is first, then A-list ordered by flight credit count.
nsx, the master of the double entendre...

Also the master predicter (loc cit comment #19).

Just don't keep baiting us, or...

Last edited by Firewind; Nov 7, 2007 at 11:57 am Reason: multiple masters
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Perhaps I missed it, but when does next year's A-list counting start?

Not that it matters for me this year, but does the A-list count any flight, or is it just a flight that you earn credit for?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Perhaps I missed it, but when does next year's A-list counting start?
It is rolling qualification just like CP, so there is no start date for "next year."

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Not that it matters for me this year, but does the A-list count any flight, or is it just a flight that you earn credit for?
A-List qualification is based on actual revenue flights flown
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Gold; Avis First
A-Listers @ Security Checkpoints

Does A-List "status" get you access to the priority security lines at most airports?

I'm a pretty loyal 1K with United and I've avoided WN like the plague because of two major issues: 1) Reserved Seats and 2) not doing anything to make my travel (as a high revenue, frequent flyer) easier.

Number 1 has effectively been solved now, but the single biggest thing WN could do to make my life easier is give me access to the short security lines with A-List status, like my 1K status on United does.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by markoh
Does A-List "status" get you access to the priority security lines at most airports?
It's not part of what was announced today, but that's a good idea considering it's a "road warrior" benefit.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
That's a GREAT idea. I'll forward it to Southwest, or you can just PM it to High on Luv.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
...but the single biggest thing WN could do to make my life easier is give me access to the short security lines with A-List status, like my 1K status on United does.
Since you're based in SEA, you can use the express line at the main checkpoint with your WN RR card. Or, you can show your 1K card. Same goes for PDX.

I've used my RR card in SEA before and had no problem.

Curb, thanks for the answers.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
It will be interesting to see how the boarding pass number degrades over time as more and more people become A-listers and more and more start buying Business Select tickets. If you get A30 this month and B61 in March, the effects on those who used to get front-of-the-line A on a cheap ticket are going to be quite noticable.

Also, if you are an A-lister, whether you get A5 or A25 is a big difference! I hope somebody at Southwest thought this through!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Another question: Will our status as an A-lister be on our account somewhere, so we don't have to continually be counting our rolling number?
Similar to our status as CP. ?

Edited to add: " OK, I read the website, we will be notified by email or postcard, and it is good for 12 months" my mistake

Last edited by doctall41; Nov 7, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Maverick Southwest is now becoming just like the other airlines, with elite levels, 50K mile awards and preferred seating. WoooHooo!

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Sorry. Either I missed something or I don't understand your post. CP didn't change today and CP holders won't be automatically checked in or guaranteed an A based on that status.
No, I was missing something, and as always, you have the answer.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Overall I would agree with an earlier poster that this just makes the program much more complicated, whether or not its better or not for a particular person depends on their travel plans. Southwest is just going down the same road as it seems every other FF program .. the good news is that it will also mean more opportunities for FTers to find and use loopholes in the system
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by High on Luv
Members who fly 32 one-way flights within 12 months are automatically added to our A-List and will receive reserved boarding privileges for one year. That means we’ll automatically reserve your boarding pass for you, ensuring you get the best available boarding number without having to check in exactly 23:59:59 before your flight. While we can’t guarantee you will get an A (if you all fly together somewhere, for instance), in most cases you will!
I give this a preliminary ^. What we need to know is where A-Listers will fit into the new boarding hierarchy. Do they come after all Business Select fare purchasers? How are A-Listers ranked as against each other? Total number of flight segments high to low? Fare basis? Random? And how do these lists intersect with the existing criteria, which is check-in time. As an A-Lister, will I no longer derive any benefit from checking in as close as possible to when the 24 hour window opens up?

We’re also giving you back the freedom to use your Awards any time you want, except for a few blackout dates. You can now convert two Standard Awards to one Freedom Award.
to this atrocious spin, although the change itself offers a marginal improvement over the status quo. Freedom Awards are not just twice as expensive as a non-capacity controlled award used to be, they are really four times as expensive when you factor in the elimination of the standard double credit.

Originally Posted by southwest.com
Southwest Airlines introduced "Business Select" at the Company's headquarters today. It's a new fare that guarantees that the "Business Select" Customer will be among the first to board the aircraft. "Business Select" holders also receive extra Rapid Rewards credit for the flight, and they even get a cocktail on the house!
I'm neutral on this change. Business Select apparently offers three unique benefits over existing full-fares:
(1) Superior A boarding priority;
(2) Double credits on flights of 750 miles or more; 1.25 credits on flights less than 750 miles; and
(3) One free drink.
To me, as someone who frequently flies WN on full-fares for business, I can't imagine that the above benefits are worth the price premium unless the difference is $10 or less on my short-haul segments:
- I already have plenty of free drink coupons so the $5 benefit of a free drink doesn't seem likely to be worth the increased fare (never mind in comparison to flying another airline like CO where my elite status plus a full-fare coach purchase will allow me to Y-up to first class and its unlimited free drinks at the time of booking).

- Since I exclusively fly WN on short-haul segments for business, the extra quarter credit isn't going to mean a whole lot to me. If you value a standard award at around $250, as I do, the quarter-credit bonus is worth a little over $4, and that's without considering whether you'd rather have the $4 in your wallet or in WN's pocket awaiting your future use.

- As for the superior A boarding, it only will matter if it is the difference between getting one of a very small handful of superior seats in either the bulkhead or exit row. Since there are apparently no guarantees of an A1 to A4 (or whatever) because the number of Business Select customers may very well exceed four on any given flight, the benefit may largely prove illusory to someone who is already an A-Lister or who was able to snag an A boarding pass via online check-in.
What will be interesting to see is how WN's competitors price their full-fare "Y" class fares in markets where they are competing with WN on price. Will they raise their fares so that a "Y" fare is equivalent to a Business Select fare? Or will they keep their "Y" fares at the same price as WN's existing full-fare, non-Business Select offering? I would certainly prefer the latter.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Nov 7, 2007 at 10:41 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:16 pm

I don't agree that it makes the program more complicated. What we have today is a new status you must earn, similar to CP, and a "rule buster" award. Everything else about the program is the same as it was yesterday.

However, A-List and Business Select do complicate the flight experience depending on where you sit with regard to their effects.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: WN | UA
I wonder when other airlines will tier match A-Listers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.