Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by nsx
Here's an excerpt of something I just posted over at blogsouthwest.com:

The new system will encourage the pre-boarding stick (cane) and other feigned disabilities. Southwest already has a reputation as the greatest healer outside Lourdes, with disabled passengers magically able to sprint off the plane after it lands. The new system will have Southwest rocketing to the top of the world’s healing centers. And Southwest will not be able to a thing about it. All that’s required is complete shamelessness on the part of the passenger. You read it here first. Where families in Orlando was the focus of pre-boarding abuse before, it will now be seniors in Ft. Lauderdale.

If you decide to fake a disability, don’t brag about it to your fellow passengers and don’t think that the gate agents don’t know EXACTLY what you’re doing. They’ve seen it all.
Excellent point. WN's only saving grace - on the pre-board issue - is that they have gotten more serious about enforcing the "no pre-boards in exit rows" rule. One of my favorite WN experiences was when a dude got WN to let him pre-board due to the length of his legs (i am not making that up - heard the whole pathetic conversation dude had with the GA)... only to have the FA refuse to let him occupy an exit row.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:52 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally Posted by smartyibm
Sorry WN. This is becoming to complicating as I fly on business and then book a ticket for my wife many times. If we are split up in boarding, my wife will get upset. I no longer will fly WN as my first choice. It will be easier to book seats on another airline.
Yep, I see the changes as being good for a business person that travels alone. I see the program as just complicating things for everyone else. I am not sure if in the end it will help me or hurt me. The fact that I don't know for sure, well I guess I will know after my next few tickets if any of them happen to be on WN, which they may well be....
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:08 pm

couples boarding in different groups

I have to wonder - for the folks on here who are griping about couples potentially having to board in different groups: can you not tolerate 10 minutes of being separated? Are you fused at the hip?

Are the couples who are highly concerned about this possibility the same ones who sit in aisle/window seats (leaving the middle free) while acting completely engrossed in conversation when everyone else is boarding?

Hmm...it seems like there might be some correlation here...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
I now achieve A-list. I am granted it for 1 year. At some point over the next couple of months I drop below 32 for a running year, but I still have A-list because it goes for 1 year. My 1 year is up and I currently do not have 32 in the past running year.
It's a rolling initial qualification but not a rolling requalification. It's an annual requalification just like the CP, probably using the same software. First they look at November 8, 2006 to November 7, 2007. Let's say you make the cut. You are now A-list for a full year, even if you don't fly at all. Your requalification period is November 8, 2007 to November 7, 2007. You need 32 one-way flights during that time or you will fail to requalify.

Let's say you only have 30 flights for requalification. If those were late in your requalification period you can fly a couple times (say December 1 and 2) and qualify for A-list again. Your requalification period is then December 3, 2008 to December 2, 2009. It works just like the CP.

In fact, I'll venture to guess that even though they promise 12 months of A-list, they will actually give you 13 months, just like for the CP. Because that way they can re-use their software.

So far there will not be plastic cards for A-list, but Southwest would be very smart to spend the money to provide them. Plastic cards will be essential to deliver the one benefit business travelers value above all else: ability to use the elite security lines.

Last edited by nsx; Nov 7, 2007 at 8:30 pm Reason: this stuff is so darned complicated!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I'm wondering what status an A-Lister might have earned on another airline now that we have a strictly flight-earned benefit on WN.
An interesting comparison. Consider United where 30 one-way segments gets you PREMIER status (first level). So, that is 2 one-way segments less than being an A-lister. However, United's accounting method is different. Each separate flight number is a separate segment. So, if you fly DEN-ORD-DTW and you change planes and flight numbers in ORD, you get 2 segments. Do the same on WN (through MDW) and you still only get 1 segment. Thus, depending on how much you fly through United's hubs, the actual segment count (using the WN accounting method) to make PREMIER can be significantly less.

You can also get to PREMIER status on United by flying 25,000 miles. That means that 781.25 miles is the break even point. (25,000 / 32). If you fly 2,000 mile trips, you'd only need 13 segments (6.5 round trips) to earn PREMIER.

The value of PREMIER is a pretty good shot at Economy Plus (36" of legroom). PREMIERS almost always get an assigned seat. Non-status people do not get an assigned seat when the airplane is getting close to full. (This has happened to me several times -- assigned at airport check-in). The seat gets assigned at the gate, although my experience has been that you will likely still get a window or aisle. Of course, if all the windows and aisles are assigned, I guess they have to start giving out middles. That hasn't happened to me. (I fly UA when there isn't a non-stop flight on WN on the city pair I need).

If you are flying on non-TED airplanes, you can buy your way up to first class, but it is kind of expensive. US Air has the better deal on buying up to first, at just $50 per 500 miles, however, I did not find the food on US Air to my tastes.

The best you can do on a TED airplane is get up into E+, where you get the 36" of legroom.

UA is also nice with the in-flight entertainment, including Channel 9, where you can listen to Air Traffic Control -- a relatively no-cost entertainment that I wish other airlines would adopt.

On Frontier, its only 15,000 miles to get ASCENT level status. Fly just thirty (30) 500 mile trips on Frontier and you get status. You get to pre-board, have a special line for luggage check-in and get priority on the security screening. You also get free Direct TV, a $5 per segment value, about the same value as one free drink on Southwest. However, as pointed out above, a Bloody Mary at 7AM may not be a good idea. Watching Direct TV at 7AM probably isn't going to hamper your day (I guess it depends which channel you watch!)

If you are flying on a full fare, heck, spend the extra $10-$30 and get a business select ticket. That probably will still be less than United.

On the restricted fares, Southwest is likely to be cheaper on the fare and then cheaper still when you factor in that pesky change fee over at the legacy carriers (and the LCC wanna-be, Frontier).

United and Frontier have a HUGE opportunity here. If they dropped the change fee and could get the prices in-line with Southest, they'd have a chance. But, the are too slow to take advantage of opportunity. I've never seen a United rep on FT talking to us like HIGH ON LUV does. Frontier's "foxnine" doesn't speak for Frontier itself. If UA and/or F9 are monitoring this amazing free focus group called Flyer Talk, they sure don't let it be known and/or actually take any action based on it. Hand it to WN, at least they are listening here on FT and realizing that an A boarding pass has value.

Most other airlines are 25,000 miles or 30 segments to reach that first level of status. What you get varies. NW and CO give you free, unlimited, space available upgrades to FIRST CLASS, where all the drinks you want are free, no coupons have to change hands and, best of all, the seat is comfortable. I had 95% upgrades as a CO Silver on NW 6 years ago. A friend of mine, NW GOLD tells me that he is at/near 100% upgrades. Gold takes 50,000 miles or 60 segments.

AA gives you some fast ways to get to GOLD (their first level) through the GOLD and PLATINUM challenge. If you fly a certain number of miles in 3 months, you can have GOLD/PLAT for the remainder of the year and the entire following year. A DEN-ORD-LHR and back in Business Class gets PLAT for the remainder of that year, all of the following year, then a drop to GOLD the year after that.

United usually runs a promotion at the end of the year where you pay a fee (like $200) and you get double credits on your Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS). So, if you fly say 26 segments, but 4 of those segments are during this window, and you pay the fee, you have 30 segments and bingo you are PREMIER.

Based on the above, the new WN system is hardly complex when compared to UA/AA etc., but certainly more complex than anything WN has had before.

Couples do not get separated on UA or F9. You board on the lowest group number. That is especially true if you have status. When UA invites the PREMIERS to board, the PREMIER'S significant other and family can board with him/her.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by expert7700
I've also used my RR card successfully for 100% of my flights from PIT and flights through LAS Terminal B.
Can you use your RR card at LAS Terminal B, go through the better security line and then take the shuttle bus over to terminal C?

If you've got the time, but just hate standing in the cattle line, this could be a good strategy?!?

I thought the TSA policy was any security entry point anywhere. For example, in Denver, you can take the bridge over to the A concourse, go through security, then down to the train and out to C.

Anybody know if the RR card works in Denver? They don't list RR on the sign for the express TSA line.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by FCfree
An interesting comparison.
And a very interesting and detailed response. Thank you, sir! ^
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by FCfree
I thought the TSA policy was any security entry point anywhere.
At T4 PHX, any checkpoint can get you to any gate (it would just be quite a hike to go through the west checkpoint on WN's side to get to a far east US concourse, or vice versa). However, I've seen the workfare folks redirect passengers to the closest checkpoint for their concourse instead of letting them go through.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: hhonors
I'm a CP holder, probably 80ish segments per year for business, and from what I'm hearing I must be the "target" for this change.

My boss told me to fly WN for the sub $100 fares as an alternative to driving ~60k miles per year. If I were to try and buy "BS" tickets @ ~$140 he'd tell me to start driving...

I know there are alot of companies out there that snark up their employee's miles/points - you know they won't pay extra to get their road warrior a beer and an aisle seat...

My old boss once set me up with a 4 hour layover to save $20 off a non-stop. He came close to needing dental repairs after that one...

To sum it up, I'm still booking bottom-bucket, and I'm driving if I start getting middle seats.

My wife (CP) should be able to board with me - this change makes me grumpy. Under the old system we both got "A"'s.

I've never had a problem booking reward tickets, and if that were to change I will likely bail.

I'm cautiously optimistic...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by rzyzzy
I'm a CP holder, probably 80ish segments per year for business, and from what I'm hearing I must be the "target" for this change.
My wife (CP) should be able to board with me - this change makes me grumpy. Under the old system we both got "A"'s.

Let's all remember, there will likely be (my guess) 30+ A boarding passes for the non A-list, non BS folks on most flights. So if you are Johnny on the Spot, you can likely get an a BP for your Companion. Granted likely an A30 or higher, but still lots of seats so you and companion can sit how you like (except probably Exit row or Bulkhead).

In the past, you still have to do OLCI for Both (often within 23-24 hr. mark) to get an A BP. And then have to wait in a line if you wanted to be one of the first 30 on board.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Let's all remember, there will likely be (my guess) 30+ A boarding passes for the non A-list, non BS folks on most flights. So if you are Johnny on the Spot, you can likely get an a BP for your Companion. Granted likely an A30 or higher, but still lots of seats so you and companion can sit how you like (except probably Exit row or Bulkhead).

In the past, you still have to do OLCI for Both (often within 23-24 hr. mark) to get an A BP. And then have to wait in a line if you wanted to be one of the first 30 on board.
Yes, on balance it looks like a significant improvement if you are A-list.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by Kaiserin
I have to wonder - for the folks on here who are griping about couples potentially having to board in different groups: can you not tolerate 10 minutes of being separated? Are you fused at the hip?

Are the couples who are highly concerned about this possibility the same ones who sit in aisle/window seats (leaving the middle free) while acting completely engrossed in conversation when everyone else is boarding?

Hmm...it seems like there might be some correlation here...
While I wouldn't do it, I once saw a passenger plop down between a couple and when they "volunteered" to move so they could sit together he told them "No" LOL! They were really put out, but it was funny! (He was rather large too, not a COS but a good size guy on a short flight and I think he decided to stick it to them!)
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:42 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cgachuck

This new system with letter/number boarding and guaranteed front of A removes that final barrier for many business customers. It will indeed generate heavy revenue for SW, and I think will exceed their $100 million estimate. That helps them maintain profitability in the new environment.
Exactly, Business Select is a very shrewd move, and is directly targeted to those business travelers who avoid Southwest because of the hassle of securing a good boarding number. And for those of you who think companies won't pay for a Business Select fare, there seem to be plenty of companies willing to reimburse higher fares on other airlines when their employees odn't want to fly Southwest.

I also think the A-list is smart because it moves Southwest away from treating everyone equally. Segmenting customers just makes business sense, as UA has already demonstrated with Economy Plus.

It's really encouraging to see Southwest thinking more outside the box! ^^
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kaiserin
No, but I don't like being the jerk-off who boards first and saves seats. Neither would I like boarding with my wife after the plane starts to fill to the gills. Which do you prefer?

Honestly, I like advance seat assignments and choice ones at that. But I was quite comfortable with WN's previous boarding process. Now that WN is starting to emulate the legacy carriers, often in a haphazard manner, I find myself becoming more and more disenchanted.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:46 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm skeptical they're going to sell many of these tickets -- unless, of course, the cheaper buckets have already disappeared and this becomes an upsale device. It pretty much just means you need to be even more vigilant to call 24 hours before departure. Just another modest annoyance, I guess.
If you are so skeptical, why has Airtran been successful at charging for seat assignments on their lowest fares, and why has United been so successful at upselling Economy Plus?

Fact is, there is a market segment out there willing to pay more than what Southwest charges, and isn't well served by the current egalitarian experience. Business Select seems like a really shrewd way to address this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.