Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:28 am

Programs: WN, BA, Kimpton Hotels, Starwood Hotels
Originally Posted by Beckles
If you buy a refundable ticket and cancel it within 24 hours, I'm pretty sure you can get a refund of the cash portion, so you're not putting in any additional funds.
Refundable fares are always refundable . . . not just within the first 24 hours.
I think thats why they are called refundable fares

It's actually non-refundable fares that are refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours. If you use nonrefundable exchange funds, PLUS a credit card upgrade to purchase a new nonrefundable fare - the upgrade portion is refundable for the first 24 hours.

If you purchase a new nonrefundable fare all with a credit card, then the whole thing is refundable for the first 24 hours.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by peanutsplease
Refundable fares are always refundable . . . not just within the first 24 hours.

It's actually non-refundable fares that are refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours. If you use nonrefundable exchange funds, PLUS a credit card upgrade to purchase a new nonrefundable fare - the upgrade portion is refundable for the first 24 hours.

If you purchase a new nonrefundable fare all with a credit card, then the whole thing is refundable for the first 24 hours.
100% correct, and thanks for catching this. ^

Incidentally, I recently learned that JetBlue quietly dropped its similar 24-hour refund policy in 2006. Now if you goof on a nonrefundable fare, you cannot get a refund. You'll have to pay a small change fee to book something else.

I think most of the legacy carriers have a 24-hour free cancellation period for nonrefundable bookings.

We now return you to your regular scheduled discussion of Rapid Rewards Enhancements...
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
You must not have many paid segements in the past 6 months. Guess you earn CP with Cr. Cards, mileage deals, etc. But then not taking much advantage of the CP if you are flying only using your Awards earned (or at least during the critical past 6 months.)
31 in 12 months, 15 in the past six months. Like I said, I think I'm on WN's no-LUV list for some reason, but I'm flying my 32nd paid segment today ...
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:23 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by peanutsplease
WN changed some refundability rules not too long ago, I think it should work with refundable fares at any time as you say, but I'm more confident you won't have any issues if you do it within 24 hours, I'm slightly less confident it works outside 24 hours (e.g., maybe WN changed the rules that any refundable + non-refundable monies are non-refundable outside of 24 hours, which is what other airlines do.)
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:31 am

What dose this mean for me?

I haven't read this entire thread, and the "Southwest Boarding School" requires Flash, which I don't allow on my browsers... so I have no clue what I'm in for tomorrow morning.

I switched from Delta for the same reasons many have listed above: the egalitarian seat assignment.

My business trips have become longer in duration and shorter in distance. When I lost Delta Medallion status, it was like getting dropped by a girlfriend: no more special privileges, just friends (and you can sit in the back with the rest of the “just friends”).

My company forces me to use American Express for an online booking travel agent, unless I can save >$100 elsewhere. The online booking doesn’t get the Southwest fares I can get from “Ding!” and such… so Delta is usually cheaper via the online tool… so I wait for the “Ding!” fares and buy then. Is this going to change?

This morning I went to check in, and have an “A”, but it also says “Position 34″. I'm not a contortionist, and don’t know “Position 34″… can somebody explain it to me?

Also, I was saving points for some Kauai tickets for next May/June (that I was going to get in December). Are these effected?

Finally, it looks like Southwest online booking requires Flash... so I won't even be able to buy a ticket on Southwest.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by blackburried
IThis morning I went to check in, and have an “A”, but it also says “Position 34″. I'm not a contortionist, and don’t know “Position 34″… can somebody explain it to me?
At this point it means you'll likely be the 19th person on the plane.

Also, I was saving points for some Kauai tickets for next May/June (that I was going to get in December). Are these effected?
No.

Finally, it looks like Southwest online booking requires Flash... so I won't even be able to buy a ticket on Southwest.
Ignoring the fact that not using Flash is silly, the website does not require or even use Flash to book tickets. You also have the option of calling to book your tickets.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:05 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Ignoring the fact that not using Flash is silly, the website does not require or even use Flash to book tickets.
I don't have Flash at work either, and yes, it's silly. I don't know why Southwest would choose to use Flash as the ONLY way to see the new boarding info, but you don't need Flash to book travel. Also, I believe the pages I linked in the recent FAQ updates do not require Flash.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
THe Gate Agents at BWI were hawking the BS fares really hard this morning. Worse than a credit card solicitation on the other airlines..
The Revenue Maximization Department is leaving money in our pockets that they could easily have had if they only figured out our price point. A fairly priced product would not have to be hawked. The benefits are worth maybe $5-15 on short-haul, and $15-25 on long-haul, so attempting to charge more is self-defeating.

A clever Revenue Maximization Department would run some experimental auctions (besides reading FT) to discover these price points. "Will ya pay $25 for a free drink and getting on first? No takers? How 'bout $20? $15? $10? OK folks we have THREE people who will board ahead of the rest of you cheapos and have their JD in hand while you get on. Anybody else at $10? Going once.....going twice.... How 'bout $8, folks? Isn't it worth $8 to you to be the envy of all your trip-mates?"
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Ignoring the fact that not using Flash is silly, the website does not require or even use Flash to book tickets. You also have the option of calling to book your tickets.
OT, but I've disabled Flash on one browser, and I use a program that allows me to toggle Flash on and off. The ads that some sites use with Flash (most obnoxious are the ones that shift the screen up and down - or do an overlay, making it difficult to read content) have torqued me to the point that I had to do something. I can still turn it on if I really want to view something.

That said, it's not necessary to use flash to book tickets or print boarding passes on WN.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I don't know how much more BS is worth. But really unless you have a full fare ticket anyway, the cost is too much. I wonder how many Refundable Fares they really sell, on average. If you got an extra 1 RR Credit, that may be worth $10-15. 1/2 credit $5-7. Drink $3. Boarding First if on long flight $7. So I would say an extra $15 - $25.

But if you are on Business and not paying your own, an extra $20 or so is no big deal and I guess I would do it.

As I pay for own tix and usually on Ding or Internet special --- I will be happy as an A Lister.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I don't know how much more BS is worth. But really unless you have a full fare ticket anyway, the cost is too much. I wonder how many Refundable Fares they really sell, on average. If you got an extra 1 RR Credit, that may be worth $10-15. 1/2 credit $5-7. Drink $3. Boarding First if on long flight $7. So I would say an extra $15 - $25.

But if you are on Business and not paying your own, an extra $20 or so is no big deal and I guess I would do it.

As I pay for own tix and usually on Ding or Internet special --- I will be happy as an A Lister.
Right, these BS fares obviously only appeal to folks who were previously paying the somewhat lower refundable fares and -- WN hopes -- NEW biz travel customers. I guess they don't want to allow just any ol' pax to "upgrade" to "early A" for 10 bucks. Frankly, I think that might generate MORE money than BS fares, but maybe it seems "wrong" to WN management.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:57 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
A clever Revenue Maximization Department would run some experimental auctions (besides reading FT) to discover these price points.
They did consumer surveys on this subject. I received one of them some months ago.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree
I checked in at 2 minutes after the 24-hour window opened for WN 3328 and got A54. This seems to be a fairly full flight, as the day I booked it, it was more than twice as expensive ($122 vs $58) as other flights that day. I'll be interested to see how many people are in A1-A15.

A54 really isn't that bad. If you figure that windows and aisles fill up first, 54 / 4 = 13.5, meaning I'll be in about row 14-15. My chances at an extra row are nil, but I'm not paying $90 extra for a "chance" at an extra row....
Get this...I was A50 HOU-OKC tonight, and scored 12F on a 73G. Yowser! You never know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.