Programs: swa
Originally Posted by rayraf
Let's see.
Standard award = 1 RR ticket
"Freedom award" = 2 RR tickets

Delta
25000 miles = Skysaver impossible to get ticket
50000 miles = Skychoice - fly anytime ticket

Did somebody's loyalty manager recently move to WN?

In the past year, I've moved 80% of my business to the legacies. It isn't worth a 2 hour drive to fly on WN anymore. Fares are up compared to the legacies, and now another change in the RR program that I don't see as a reward to the people that fly them the most. Wish I could double my prices as an incentive to my customers and tell them it's a good deal for them.

Yes, I bet it will be harder to use a standard award. It's almost impossible to use a 25K AA award since they offered a 50K anytime award many years ago. I bet WN now goes the same way.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm still puzzled how Delta got away with stiffing customers on award availability after Amex bought billions of miles to help Delta out of bankruptcy. I would have thought Amex had some clout to protect the value of its purchase. But I guess not.
I guess AMEX didn't think to negotiate that. Or they didn't care how difficult it would be for their customers to use their miles.

Logic would say that it matters, though. I would think savvy frequent flyers avoid the Skymiles AMEX card because they're better off accumulating miles with an AA or UA card (the two legacy carriers with the best award availability).

Speaking of award availability, how often does WN not allocate award seats on a flight because they think they can sell all the seats (a common practice among the legacy carriers)? I was just booking some award travel for May yesterday (with the brand new schedule) and -- not surprisingly -- I found pretty much everything open. There was, however, one Sunday evening flight that had no availability. It actually surprised me (whereas when redeeming with a legacy carrier, I'm surprised when there ARE seats!).
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Global: With all your posts and "Elite" levels, did you actually take 30 sec. to go to SWA site and check the fare presentation???

I see each flight for the day selected shows the least expensive for the range of fares. Sure, you may want 4 tix and only 2 at lowest fare - but that was same info you had previously.

I and others had posted in the past that they had too many fare buckets when all people wanted was refundable and cheapest non-refundable. I say this is an improvement and do not see where it fools people into buying more expensive tickets.
It does now, but it didn't when I looked yesterday (or I may have outright overlooked it as I'd just gotten off an international flight - in which case it's my bad - but I don't think I missed it). I distinctly remember, however, that the display I pulled up had only the tick boxes, not the fares (sorta like a shortened version of the old display). I've looked again today, and see what you've described.

Then again, when I looked the account details page for my account was also not showing the A-List info that now appears, either.

I still don't see it as an improvement. I often want to know what the higher fare buckets are to see what happens if I want to wait or change flights. I also think the screen is more cluttered now, but c'est la vie.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I think your Company must not be very smart. The Label means little. I guess you can fly Upper Class on Virgin for 5x the coach fare just because it is not First or Business?? And if you can get a Business tix for less than coach on another airline, they would refuse you??? If you are on AA with an Upgrade Coach -- you are in Business - so you are deceiving your company.
Agreed. I have similar rules but it is based on fare code. Southwest can call it Business or Business Select or whatever, but in good conscience it is not business class and I would have no trouble booking either if I needed it.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I and others had posted in the past that they had too many fare buckets when all people wanted was refundable and cheapest non-refundable. I say this is an improvement and do not see where it fools people into buying more expensive tickets.
There's one drawback: I sometimes buy a more expensive restrictive fare when my purchase is merely a tactic to combine unused ticketless funds. Combining funds will now be even more difficult, unless Southwest comes up with a web page specifically for that purpose.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
There's one drawback: I sometimes buy a more expensive restrictive fare when my purchase is merely a tactic to combine unused ticketless funds. Combining funds will now be even more difficult, unless Southwest comes up with a web page specifically for that purpose.
Agreed.

Better yet, WN should reverse its silly new policy of only allowing the aggregation of two separate ticketless travel funds in booking a new reservation. There is simply no good reason for WN preventing its customers from aggregating as many ticketless travel funds as they have, no matter how small they may be individually.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by nsx

I have not tried, but can you not buy a Refundable Fare with your credits and then put it back into Ticketless Funds (it would still be non refundable) keeping the earliest exp. date? If you are going to cancel the res anyway (why buy the more expensive tix to travel on), just look for busy dates or dates near current date and there will likely be higher fare categories.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by cxn
I
1) No transparency on how the 'ranking' happens.

2) The rolling 32 segments starts me at 0 when I actully had *more* segments the past year.

This is a good point and not discussed much. Example: If I had my 32 segs from 8 NOV 06 to 15 July 07,, it would have been fair to give me A-List status now with my begin date of 16 Jul 07 (A List expires 15 Jul 08) and flights taken since counting for earning new status 16 Jul 07 to 15 Jul 08!!

Or at least give us a choice. In above example the 15 flights I took 16 Jul to present count for zilch as far as A List is concerned.

I know not work for everyone, but a choice would have "rewarded" those that had a lot of flights over the past 12 months.

3) Issues about family/friends/etc co-boarding with me on my Auto-A pass

Hopefully WN will release more information soon.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I have not tried, but can you not buy a Refundable Fare with your credits and then put it back into Ticketless Funds (it would still be non refundable) keeping the earliest exp. date? If you are going to cancel the res anyway (why buy the more expensive tix to travel on), just look for busy dates or dates near current date and there will likely be higher fare categories.
Yes, but if one has to put more $$$ into the pot, then I, for one, would prefer to keep that to a minimum. A higher restricted fare might limit the $$$ more than a refundable fare.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:45 am

These don't seem like "enhancements" to me.

The fares in my market (Bay Area) seemed to rise significantly with the web site change yesterday.

I just don't see true business travelers ever wanting to fly WN on flights longer than the SFO-LAX route for example. With the company paying for it and legacies offering such better perks (ie: Captain's Lounge, ability to use miles on international flights), I just don't see the point of WN alienating their current base and so obviously going strong for the business traveler.

I have talked to a handful of people in my office and with the exception of the reps who work mainly short haul flights, WN gets a laughable reaction. Personally, I love WN but if the company picks up the tab on a SFO-East Coast flight I will be flying Virgin/Jet Blue or American because of the various perks involved.

WN is great for weekend, family, cheap and short haul travel but they shouldn't be something they are not. The reason why I have been so loyal is because they are different and seem to cater to a different kind of traveler. When I go to In N Out I want a burger and fries. Don't try to make me a steak.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
If WN flew non-stop to more places that I need to be, this might actually entice me. Since they don't, I am not too thrilled about it.

A partnership with one or more international carriers would be nice as well.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:58 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Let me clarify. If I have ticketless funds of $35 and $55, I'm looking for a $90 to $95 fare to combine these with minimal addition of money. That fare is easier to find if I have the full matrix of discount fares to choose from. The funds will remain non-refundable.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
As a (very) occasional WN customer, a couple of thoughts.

1) Last-minute fares (B, BS) (no WGA fares available) are not competitive in the Denver-OKC market, based on one data point (a trip leaving next Monday and returning Tuesday night). WN = $427 vs F9 at $223 and UA at $329. Alarming. I always considered WN to be THE solution to the typically sky-high last-minute fares offered by other airlines.

2) With no FC cabin and no international access, I fail to see how one drink will entice travelers like me. This will be a very interesting experiment.

ETA: I might start with unlimited drinks for BS pax. After a few, they just might think that they are in FC, especially if they have clumped together in the front of the plane and start to party. Maybe a dedicated FA for them, patterned after the "Cathay Girls"? Just musing here, folks.

ETA2: If the flight is not full, the dedicated FA (aka "WN girl") could place a placard in all middle seats adjacent to BS pax that effectively keeps that seat unoccupied. NOW we're getting somewhere...

Last edited by Bonehead; Nov 9, 2007 at 12:29 pm
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:39 pm

Business Select sold out?

I wanted to look at the first matrix including a DING since the booking site redesign. On Dec. 6 there's a connection DEN-TUS connecting at LAS where Business is available, but Select is not. Would 15 BS seats already have been booked on one of these segments?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
I wanted to look at the first matrix including a DING since the booking site redesign. On Dec. 6 there's a connection DEN-TUS connecting at LAS where Business is available, but Select is not. Would 15 BS seats already have been booked on one of these segments?
Yea, the 9:30 AM DEN-LAS is booked in BS. I wonder if that flight's a major connector from some other (large) market? I wouldn't think so, but who knows? What's especially odd is that the 7:10 AM is available for $49. Hard to believe that 15 people want the extra sleep THAT bad!

Last edited by Bonehead; Nov 9, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.