Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Choice Dia, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer

What will be interesting to see is how WN's competitors price their full-fare "Y" class fares in markets where they are competing with WN on price. Will they raise their fares so that a "Y" fare is equivalent to a Business Select fare? Or will they keep their "Y" fares at the same price as WN's existing full-fare, non-Business Select offering? I would certainly prefer the latter.
I agree. I think this will provide competing carriers an opportunity to raise their fares where they compete with WN, though I doubt UA will give me free booze. I benched marked a few fares out of TUS today so I can watch what happens over the next few days.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I don't agree that it makes the program more complicated. What we have today is a new status you must earn, similar to CP, and a "rule buster" award. Everything else about the program is the same as it was yesterday.

However, A-List and Business Select do complicate the flight experience depending on where you sit with regard to their effects.
How is it not more complicated? If you checked in 24 hours in advance before you were nearly guaranteed an A seat, even if you had a flight where connections may have snagged a lot of the seats. And as many of us did, as long as you got ANY A you were usually good to go for a non middle seat. This included peak flights. Now booking peak flights on a 'wanna get away' fare means much, much more risk that you have very little or no chance of getting an A because of Business Select and A-Listers.

As someone who's been elite on UA, AA, DL and US the changes do bring Southwest in line with those programs by adding a defacto elite level and the equivalent of 'free upgrades for full fare' (on many airlines) but by definition that is more complicated than not having those 'features' (or flaws depending on your opinion).

I will be an A-Lister AND book Business Select fares but I still don't like the changes because when my wife travels with me it seems likely I will end up with an A and she will end up with B or C. I know Southwest does turn away people with the wrong boarding group (that's a good thing) but I wonder what they will do with couples/etc who are now mixed group (the new frontier, first we break the race barrier, now the boarding group barrier) LOL
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by markoh
Does A-List "status" get you access to the priority security lines at most airports?

I'm a pretty loyal 1K with United and I've avoided WN like the plague because of two major issues: 1) Reserved Seats and 2) not doing anything to make my travel (as a high revenue, frequent flyer) easier.

Number 1 has effectively been solved now, but the single biggest thing WN could do to make my life easier is give me access to the short security lines with A-List status, like my 1K status on United does.
Just show your RR card. All members can use at most airports. WN controls most checkpoints as they are the largest carrier in most concources
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:45 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The fact that they will award 1.25 bonus credits for BS flights less than 750 miles is not good news ... this means they have implemented the ability to award only a quarter credit, and I'd be willing to bet some partners will take advantage of this very very soon.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by pitflyer
How is it not more complicated?
Please reread my post. My "not more complicated" refers to RR, not seating.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pitflyer
How is it not more complicated?
Easy. I won't need to rearrange my day for OLCI any more.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Thumbs down BS -- What improvement is this

II'm neutral on this change. Business Select apparently offers three unique benefits over existing full-fares:
(1) Superior A boarding priority;
(2) Double credits on flights of 750 miles or more; 1.25 credits on flights less than 750 miles; and
(3) One free drink.
To me, as someone who frequently flies WN on full-fares for business, I can't imagine that the above benefits are worth the price premium unless the difference is $10 or less:
- I already have plenty of free drink coupons so the $5 benefit of a free drink doesn't seem likely to be worth the increased fare (never mind in comparison to flying another airline like CO where my elite status plus a full-fare coach purchase will allow me to Y-up to first class and its free drinks at the time of booking).

- Since I exclusively fly WN on short-haul segments for business, the extra quarter credit isn't going to mean a whole lot to me. If you value a standard award at around $250, as I do, the quarter-credit bonus is worth a little over $4, and that's without considering whether you'd rather have the $4 in your wallet or in WN's pocket awaiting your future use.

- As for the superior A boarding, it only will matter if it is the difference between getting one of a very small handful of superior seats in either the bulkhead or exit row. Since there are apparently no guarantees of an A1 to A4 (or whatever) because the number of Business Select customers may very well exceed four on any given flight, the benefit may largely prove illusory to someone who is already an A-Lister or who was able to snag an A boarding pass via online check-in.
I totally agree here. I'm missing the 'real' benefits of the BS program for FF's. I'm not sure I could justify on my T&E either that I chose the BS fare so that I could get a free drink.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
...Customer will receive drink coupon along with boarding pass (it will print out with BP)
Will they have bar code readers on-board to go along with serialized drink chits? Or will there be an explosion of photoshopped coupons if they're not serialized?

If the drink coupon is "married" to the flight number and date, then they're worthless if you can't save them up to use on a suitable flight. Early morning commuting flights before customer visits aren't the time to be cashing in for a bloody mary.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:06 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Early morning commuting flights before customer visits aren't the time to be cashing in for a bloody mary.
Since when?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Here's the answer on getting priority boarding for last minute flights. Rule 7 below. So, if you standby or book last minute.....welcome to 23:59:591/2

Reserved boarding privileges will not be provided in instances where the Member’s reservation meets any of the following criteria: reservations booked less than 36 hours prior to scheduled departure; changes made to an existing reservation within 36 hours of a scheduled flight; standby travel on a different flight than what was originally confirmed; flights taken after a Member’s status expires from our A-List. Irregular operations may also affect a Member’s benefits on Rapid Rewards’ A-List boarding priority.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Diamondback
Here's the answer on getting priority boarding for last minute flights. Rule 7 below. So, if you standby or book last minute.....welcome to 23:59:591/2

Reserved boarding privileges will not be provided in instances where the Member’s reservation meets any of the following criteria: reservations booked less than 36 hours prior to scheduled departure; changes made to an existing reservation within 36 hours of a scheduled flight; standby travel on a different flight than what was originally confirmed; flights taken after a Member’s status expires from our A-List. Irregular operations may also affect a Member’s benefits on Rapid Rewards’ A-List boarding priority.
That, by itself, would seem to gut a key benefit -- maybe the key benefit -- of Business Select: having a flexible fare that supposedly brings with it the promise of a guaranteed spot at the top of the A group.

The need for A-group protection is much less acute when it comes to taking a flight as originally booked that has been scheduled for a number of days, weeks, or months as prompt online check-in, if nothing else (i.e. a Business Select fare or A-List status), should still give the traveler a decent shot at an A. Where priority boarding protection is truly needed is when a high revenue customer needs to or wants to switch to a different flight on the day of departure. Apparently, Business Select is not the solution to this problem.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
(1) Superior A boarding priority;
(2) Double credits on flights of 750 miles or more; 1.25 credits on flights less than 750 miles; and
(3) One free drink.
To me, as someone who frequently flies WN on full-fares for business, I can't imagine that the above benefits are worth the price premium unless the difference is $10 or less:
One extra credit is worth $15 to $20. For an 800-mile flight, Business Select might be a very attractive alternative to the regular full fare.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:27 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards--Official Southwest Airlines Spokesperson
Wow – five pages in less than three hours has to be some kind of a record!

I noticed a few questions that keep coming up, so I wanted to provide a little clarification.

A-List status is determined on a rolling 12-month basis and by flight credits only. You can log into your account tomorrow and see how close you are to being added to our A-List. Also, we certainly value all our of Partners and all of those credits earned through our Partners… that’s why those credits still count towards Awards and count toward your Companion Pass!

If you’re on the A-List and book or change your reservation less than 36 hours before your flight, we cannot guarantee that we can reserve you the best available boarding pass – because of time zone changes and connecting passengers who print their boarding passes early. Inside of 24 hours, open checkin has begun and there is no way for us to set aside boarding passes for A-List Members. However, under normal operations, you can still upgrade to Business Select at the gate if that fare is still available.

Customers traveling on Business Select fares will get the first boarding passes, and Members of A-List will receive the best available boarding passes after that. While we can’t get into the nitty-gritty, A-List order is sorted by, number of revenue flights taken within the past 12 months among other things.

Hope this helps clear some things up!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:27 pm

That, by itself, would seem to gut a key benefit -- maybe the key benefit -- of Business Select: having a flexible fare that supposedly brings with it the promise of a guaranteed spot at the top of the A group.
What Diamondback quoted referred to A-List, not BS.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by High on Luv
A-List status is determined on a rolling 12-month basis and by flight credits only.
This goes back to FCfree's question upthread about bonus credits with Business Select. Those are flight credits, so do they shorten the number of actual flights required to earn A-List? I thought no, but from your reference to flight credits, it seems so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.