Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards Enhancements!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:47 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FCfree
Do only flights count towards the 32 one-way count, or is it any 32 credits, including car rentals, credit cards, etc. (as it is for CP)?
Flight credits only. Therefore you could be CP and not be A-list.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:51 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CruiseAddict
Is it now going to be impossible to get an A boarding pass for non "Business Select" passengers?
If BS fares are limited to 10%, that's 14 pax. A-listers might be another 20 to 30 on a commuter flight. That still leaves some A's for connecting passengers to grab, leaving you with a B.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Seems to me As will be much harder to get on popular business flights as a lot of them will get the As before anyone who 'wants to get away' can even check in.

I see that flights under 750 miles get 1.25 credits vs flights over 750 miles get 2 credits with business select. Southwest seems to be slowly changing from a "one way, one segment" type of model to much more mileage based model.

Its funny that as I post this someone posted the same question. We'll see how many Business Select fares the actually sell... his answer was some people dont care where they sit.. that much be true except only the true sickos WANT middle seats
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:57 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wow, I just heard Gary Kelly channel me in talking about matching up the people who care about seating to the best seats. Maybe he reads FT...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: SWA RR
Nobody's mentioned yet a brand new Business Select (who chose a name with the initials BS?) benefit. Look at http://www.southwest.com/fares/pop_fareCompare.html to read a comparison chart with the advantages of BS seat pricing - the third item is something everybody has been asking for for a long time:

Same-Day Flight Changes:
On your original date of travel you are free to fly standby or make confirmed changes (if seats are available) for another flight to your destination at no additional cost.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:02 am

But, at least there is another alternative (32 one-way flights) too. Fly 32 one-way flights on the "Wanna-get-away" fare and you get on the A-list.
Sure...so long as the "Business Select" didn't sell out (13-14 seats; assuming 10% of 137) and there aren't another 30 or so already on the A-list.

Regarding the A-list, the one-year date is measured from when? Presumably, from the date that you completed 32 one-ways? And it expires when? Is it a rolling measurement?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by nsx
. . BS fares . . .
Perhaps this is not the acronym that SW wants people to use...
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Appletom
Nobody's mentioned yet a brand new Business Select (who chose a name with the initials BS?) benefit. Look at http://www.southwest.com/fares/pop_fareCompare.html to read a comparison chart with the advantages of BS seat pricing - the third item is something everybody has been asking for for a long time:
Yeah, but couldn't you already do that on a regular full-fare ticket?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:07 am

I should have read the entire comparison page before my previous post. BS flyers also get a FREE drink - something that seems very important to a disproportionate number of FT'ers
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
If someone buys a "Wanna-Get-Away" fare and then at the last minute needs to make a change, can he buy up to a Business Select Fare?

If you are less than 24 hours before a flight and you are sitting on a Wanna-Get-Away fare, making a change to full fare right now sucks because you pay the full fare price, but you get a B or C boarding pass. If you could buy your way up to Business Select and get an A boarding pass, it would be worth the extra $15 or so.

However, this seems unlikely unless fewer than 14 or so business select seats have been sold. They could fix this, however, by opening up more business select fares during the last 24 hours before the flight.

Another question about the 32 one-way flight count -- if the person buys Business Select Fares, does that reduce the one-way count to 32/1.25 = 26 or 32/2 = 16, because of the bonus you get for buying business select? Seems like the answer is NO, but worth a look.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
It looks like I'm on the A-list from my BP-printing experience this morning. There is still one major drawback to their methodology. Many "A-Listers" likely standby for earlier flights at the last minute. Under this method, will the GA realize you are an A lister and be able to override that you have a C boarding pass? We are used to printing 23:59:59 so it is only a minor improvement for me unless they guarantee A for all flights.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:12 am

If someone buys a "Wanna-Get-Away" fare and then at the last minute needs to make a change, can he buy up to a Business Select Fare?

If you are less than 24 hours before a flight and you are sitting on a Wanna-Get-Away fare, making a change to full fare right now sucks because you pay the full fare price, but you get a B or C boarding pass. If you could buy your way up to Business Select and get an A boarding pass, it would be worth the extra $15 or so.

However, this seems unlikely unless fewer than 14 or so business select seats have been sold. They could fix this, however, by opening up more business select fares during the last 24 hours before the flight.

Another question about the 32 one-way flight count -- if the person buys Business Select Fares, does that reduce the one-way count to 32/1.25 = 26 or 32/2 = 16, because of the bonus you get for buying business select? Seems like the answer is NO, but worth a look.
I doubt the difference between Wanna-Get-Away fare and BS fare is going to be anything less than $35-$40. Keep in mind that the BS fare will be higher than the current fully refundable fare.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by Diamondback
It looks like I'm on the A-list from my BP-printing experience this morning. There is still one major drawback to their methodology. Many "A-Listers" likely standby for earlier flights at the last minute. Under this method, will the GA realize you are an A lister and be able to override that you have a C boarding pass? We are used to printing 23:59:59 so it is only a minor improvement for me unless they guarantee A for all flights.
The advantage of being on the A-list is that you won't have to be glued to your computer or cell-phone at 23:59:59 before the flight. The A seat is yours.... even if you check in at, dare I say, 23:58:00 before the flight! (Actually, you can even check in at the airport and you will still get an A)

I do hope that the GA will be able to give someone who does a standby/upgrade an A seat if they are on the A-list.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Looks like "Business Select" is a "pay-for-A" deal to me.
My vision of "pay-for-A" is a $5 (or whatever) add-on available to all comers, but I see your point.

Originally Posted by nsx
If BS fares are limited to 10%, that's 14 pax. A-listers might be another 20 to 30 on a commuter flight. That still leaves some A's for connecting passengers to grab, leaving you with a B.
BS fares won't be 10% on all flights. They said that percentage will vary by specific flight and day. The 10% figure sounds light a ballpark estimate bordering on WAG in retrospect.

That all depends on if there will be As reserved for BS fares after check in opens. Yours is a very good question.

No. The BS premium is RR credits, not segment multiples toward A-List eligibility.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Yeah, but couldn't you already do that (same day flight change) on a regular full-fare ticket?
Man, I really need to get to the pharmacy and refill my "Think Before Posting" pills. I made a stupid blunder just as bad earlier this morning in a Photoshop forum.

Dumb Apple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.