Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by donjo
I was on a flight departing AUS today and there were 15 wheelchairs. I watched many of these people walk up to the gate with no apparent disability, only to park themselves in a wheelchair and wait to be taken on the plane ahead of people who paid to board in the A group. I don't claim to know the personal histories of these folks, but I am a physician and have no trouble identifying someone walking briskly to the gate, only to feign disability to gain an advantage. Sure there are legitimate pre-boarders but this is getting out of hand. When we landed the FA said we only have one person with a connecting flight. She asked the disabled to remain seated to expedite de-planing. Out of the 15 who took wheelchairs on the plane, only 3 required them to exit. I heard the three elderly people in row 1 saying it was a great benefit to get on and off the plane first without paying extra. Really shameful. I respect elderly people and wouldn't mind giving one my place in line on occasion, but do these people have no shame?
Nope they don't. The one thing that bother me, I usually fly AA, is that they allow everyone on the same reservation to board with the disabled person. Not sure if they do this on SW. One time at LAX they called for preboarding and 9 people boarded with the disabled person, 9 I counted !! Even the GA was like ....
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:47 am

When we landed the FA said we only have one person with a connecting flight. She asked the disabled to remain seated to expedite de-planing.
An announcement I've never heard.

Calling out "the disabled" on a PA is not tactful.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by LegalTender
An announcement I've never heard.

Calling out "the disabled" on a PA is not tactful.
Likely it was "wheelchair passengers". Made almost every time I deplane and ignored by 90% of "them". I understood his point just fine.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dgparent
Nope they don't. The one thing that bother me, I usually fly AA, is that they allow everyone on the same reservation to board with the disabled person. Not sure if they do this on SW. One time at LAX they called for preboarding and 9 people boarded with the disabled person, 9 I counted !! Even the GA was like ....
To some extent it doesn't really matter on airlines that have assigned seats if the entire party boards. IIRC they do that even for non-preboarders if people in a group have different boarding group numbers.

On WN it is supposed to be the preboarder and one assistant. Whether that happens is up to the GA. I've had it happen both ways.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Count me as one who believes the only way to curb the problem is if you pre-board because of a 'medical' issue, you should deplane last. If it's really about needing more time to board then that shouldn't be a problem.

It wouldn't keep everyone from scamming, but it would stop some and deplaning for the rest of the pax would be expedited.

Also, 7 dogs on my flight from BOS to DAL Dec 26.

Talk about scammers.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by justhere
To some extent it doesn't really matter on airlines that have assigned seats if the entire party boards. IIRC they do that even for non-preboarders if people in a group have different boarding group numbers.

On WN it is supposed to be the preboarder and one assistant. Whether that happens is up to the GA. I've had it happen both ways.
Delta also allows everyone on the PNR to preboard. It can be a big deal with bin space when it's a group that is carrying on everything but the kitchen sink and you have a gate agent that doesn't enforce the carry on limit or you have a flight attendant that doesn't say anything when they throw their stuff in the first FC or C+ bin they come to because they don't want to carry the stuff to the bin above their seat. Especially in cases where the gate agent doesn't clear the upgrade list until the middle of boarding.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bkco88
Just want to be clear - I disagree with the title of the thread and believe preboarders should sit wherever it is safe and convenient for them. Here to share an interesting experience below-

Last night boarding in DEN, there was a literal parade of wheelchairs and preboard passengers. I started counting and lost count at 23 or so (there were more). I have never seen this before, and the first 10 rows of the aircraft were taken up when I boarded with a low A. It was bizarre, and I have not had that experience before. I don't blame the preboarders at all, just merely an observation.

Is this a common occurrence?
I once flew out of Nashville after the conclusion of the national VFW convention. So, yes, it happens.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mile ho
Count me as one who believes the only way to curb the problem is if you pre-board because of a 'medical' issue, you should deplane last. If it's really about needing more time to board then that shouldn't be a problem.
It's not just about needing more time to board. When I broke my ankle I pre-boarded on Southwest so that I could get a seat that would accommodate my boot. An aisle seat with the aisle on the boot side was helpful. Bulkhead was best (Exit row would have been sweet, but the boot made me ineligible).

I also appreciated being able to get a seat near the front, as the boot was large and made it awkward getting down the aisle. And standing for extended periods of time was painful. Despite this, I always declined the wheelchair because I hate being dependent on others (just like most people with disabilities). But given that I did get seats near the front so I did not have to take extra time navigating the narrow aisle, why should I have had to wait for folks in row 24 to exit before I could deplane from row 1?

On other airlines with reserved seating I could call in and get disabled seating, which gave me access to seats I could not select online. There was no need to board early to get an appropriate seat.

I totally get the frustration with folks who feign disability to gain an unfair advantage. That sucks. But trying to prevent this by adopting policies that are punitive to those with disabilities is terribly unfair. Your argument is that in order to stop scammers from taking advantage, we need to make being disabled even more disadvantageous than it already is.

Last edited by lexdevil; Dec 30, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:58 pm

The point is a disability should not be disadvantaged, but it should not be an advantage either. I often see people who need pre-boarding because of a disability choosing to stay seated upon landing because it would be difficult to cope with the horde trying to deplane as fast as possible.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:19 pm

I watched many of these people walk up to the gate with no apparent disability, only to park themselves in a wheelchair and wait to be taken on the plane ahead of people who paid to board in the A group.
Given the seating shortage I see at many Southwest gates, I would not be surprised if some disabled folks who would be happy to walk on choose the wheelchairs because there is no other available seating near the gate.

Out of the 15 who took wheelchairs on the plane, only 3 required them to exit.
Lots of disabled folks can walk and prefer to do so, but have difficulty standing for extended periods of time. If they can deplane quickly without getting stuck behind folks who are taking ages to extricate their bags, or who are barreling down the aisle toward the back of the plane to retrieve luggage, they can do so under their own steam.

I don't claim to know the personal histories of these folks, but I am a physician and have no trouble identifying someone walking briskly to the gate, only to feign disability to gain an advantage.
I guess you don't have any patients with Lupus, RA, or COPD.

I heard the three elderly people in row 1 saying it was a great benefit to get on and off the plane first without paying extra. Really shameful.
What's shameful? You have no idea WHY they boarded early. I said exactly the same thing when I boarded early because I had a broken ankle. It was a great benefit. And one I was entitled to.

Last edited by lexdevil; Dec 30, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
The point is a disability should not be disadvantaged, but it should not be an advantage either. I often see people who need pre-boarding because of a disability choosing to stay seated upon landing because it would be difficult to cope with the horde trying to deplane as fast as possible.
I agree that it should be their choice. And if they choose to deplane with others in their row, they should be able to do so. That is not an advantage. It is equal treatment.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:55 pm

Instead of being resentful of the accommodations made for disabled folks, how about we save the outrage for the times when they are stuck on the plane waiting 30+ minutes after everyone else has exited because the wheelchair never showed up? Based on my experience, there may be a good reason they choose to walk off if it is at all possible. And being forced to make that choice should not mean that they should also have to stand on a long, slow boarding line and take a seat that is not appropriate to their needs.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I agree that it should be their choice. And if they choose to deplane with others in their row, they should be able to do so. That is not an advantage. It is equal treatment.
Honest question. If physically able to deplane equally as everybody else, why not board like everybody else?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mile ho
Also, 7 dogs on my flight from BOS to DAL Dec 26.

Talk about scammers.
I flew a lot in 2016 (mostly AA with 3 Southwest flights). I don't remember a single flight that didn't have at least one dog; many had 2 or 3. At least there was only one poop-in-the-aisle incident that I know of.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Honest question. If physically able to deplane equally as everybody else, why not board like everybody else?
You are overlooking the fact that part of the reason that they can "deplane equally as everybody else" is that early boarding allowed them to get a seat near the front of the plane. Were they forced to sit in the back of the plane, they might require assistance.

There are a number of reasons for this.

1. Some folks can't walk as far as others, but they are fine for short distances. They may have COPD or any of a number of other conditions that affect their stamina. These folks need to board early to have a shot at seats near the front of the plane. On an airline with reserved seats, they would not need to board early to get these seats, but on Southwest they do.

2. Some folks are okay walking a reasonable distance, but cannot stand for prolonged periods of time. They need to board early in order to avoid the sometimes long wait on line and in the jetway. If they sit near the front of the plane, they do not experience this long wait as they exit the plane. I was definitely in this group when I broke my ankle. I even had to ask for a chair to sit in rather than waiting on line to check bags. I also know folks with back problems for whom prolonged standing is a real problem.

3. Some folks are able to walk, but experience severe pain. This is definitely an issue for people with rheumatoid arthritis. Yes, they may be able to board like everybody else, but if they have to go to the back of the plane you are requiring them to experience a lot more pain than necessary. That's just cruel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.