Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
With all the pre-board abuse resentment, it may be time for advance request/notice stipulating the need for Rows 1-3 and then assign seats, accordingly. Not all pre-boarders require what your companion does. The premium purchasers retain more value if aisle seats at front stay un-assigned.

Most walk-aboard pre-boarders probably agree.
I'm not sure that is legal. On the other hand assigned seating would take care of the entire problem.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
No, I said it may be time for advance request/notice stipulating the need for Rows 1-3 and then assign seats, accordingly. Assigning aisle seats would not be a given.

Not being indifferent to that is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for being part of the solution.
Ok now I see what you mean about 2C/D. I took what you said to mean that aisle seats would be excluded but you were just using 2C/D as an example, correct?

If so, you can't do that as it's illegal.

I've said multiple times I don't have an answer for how to weed out people who claim to have a disability but don't and are abusing the preboard privilege. So not sure how I'm being part of the solution. Unless, of course, you were just being facetious.
Originally Posted by Algebralovr
Some of us who preboard need the room of the bulkhead. For example, I need it for my service dog. While he may fit under a standard seat, barely, it will be really close. We will all be much more comfortable if he is in the bulkhead.

We need to get off first because he needs to go to the relief area. There is not one on the plane for him - he has to hold it the entire time. You are able to use the facilities but he cannot.

Also, since he doesn't fit into the facilities on the plane with me, it means that I can't go either. So WE are in a hurry to get off. Hence, we don't wait until last to deplane.
There are more reasons than the obvious.
Be careful. You'll get someone posting that all dogs should be in a kennel in the hold. Some people just don't, or more correctly, aren't willing to understand the issues that are faced by people traveling with a disability. They would be quite happy if you were required to wear a sign around your neck from a doctor proving that you have a disability and then they might let you board between the B and C group as long as you sit in the back of the plane and don't say a word.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not sure that is legal. On the other hand assigned seating would take care of the entire problem.
The feds may impose the solution. It's a Chinese fire drill right now.

Carriers are required (§382.81) "to block an adequate number of the seats used to provide disabled seating accommodations."

Anyone needing an aisle chair to access the aircraft "must be provided a seat in a row with a movable aisle armrest."

Allowing walk-aboard pre-boarders taking seats before the less-mobile, special-needs passengers poses huge downside consequences.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by justhere
I've said multiple times I don't have an answer for how to weed out people who claim to have a disability but don't and are abusing the preboard privilege.
Nor should you. One particular seat pair is always there for you.

Even the sun goes down in paradise.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
If WN is ever going to go to assigned seats I'd be a little surprised if it was people abusing the preboard privilege that triggers the change. That WN takes no position on seat saving and undermines their system themselves should tell you all you need to know about how they feel about "fake" preboarders.

Ultimately, it's really not their problem. They are just following the law.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:00 pm

The feds may impose the solution. It's a Chinese fire drill right now.

Carriers are required (§382.81) "to block an adequate number of the seats used to provide disabled seating accommodations."

Anyone needing an aisle chair to access the aircraft "must be provided a seat in a row with a movable aisle armrest."

Allowing walk-aboard pre-boarders taking seats before the less-mobile, special-needs passengers poses huge downside consequences.
Perhaps that's why WN's policy is that people needing specific seats get to preboard. Maybe that post on their blog or whatever it is about people needing extra time boarding after A and before family boarding is WN's answer to this. If that is in fact how it is supposed to be done then I would hope the GA's do it that way. If they don't then it is WN with whom you should take issue, not the legitimate preboarders that need specific seats.
Nor should you. One particular seat pair is always there for you.

Even the sun goes down in paradise.
An aisle/aisle will always be available as there aren't going to be 50 preboarders that need/want aisle seats.

But that's not the point is it? The point is that you're right and my companion and I should just be grateful that we're allowed out of the house. Next time we fly we'll board after the C group and say thank you to everyone on the plane. Happy now.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I'm sure it would be legal. On some airplanes Delta will black out the bulk head seats from being selected unless someone calls with a disability or is travelling with a service animal until t-24 and then open them up at check in. Fortunately this has never happened to me when I've had a bulkhead but I have heard reports of people being booted out of their bulkhead is someone with a disability buys a seat at the last minute or SDC or doesn't call ahead of time to say they need a bulkhead due to a disability (I've also heard of this happening with handheld infants on aircraft where there are bassinette hooks on the bulk head walls).
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm sure it would be legal.
Here's what isn't legal:

Airlines may not keep anyone out of a specific seat on the basis of disability, or require anyone to sit in a particular seat on the basis of disability, except to comply with FAA or foreign-government safety requirements.

About the ACAA

Last edited by justhere; Oct 10, 2016 at 7:36 pm Reason: Fixed incorrect link
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:31 pm

Making rows/seats available is not the same thing as a requirement that they occupy a specific seat.

It's questionable whether WN's current IT is capable of blocking row(s}, in any case.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was thinking of this thread last night. I flew out of ATL on another airline and the inbound was late. There were five employees with wheelchairs by the gate. Only one left with someone in it. Other four walked away empty. I guess all but one got cured on that flight It was an MD88 so fairly small plane, not sure where it came from.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:30 pm

Making rows/seats available is not the same thing as a requirement that they occupy a specific seat.

It's questionable whether WN's current IT is capable of blocking row(s}, in any case.
Blocking rows wouldn't really help. See post #113. WN could block the first 3 rows to be used by people with a disability but if someone with a disability wanted row 4 because the aisle seats in rows 1-3 were taken, for example, WN would have to let them sit in row 4.

With open seating the only rows that matter in this context are the exit rows.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I was thinking of this thread last night. I flew out of ATL on another airline and the inbound was late. There were five employees with wheelchairs by the gate. Only one left with someone in it. Other four walked away empty. I guess all but one got cured on that flight It was an MD88 so fairly small plane, not sure where it came from.
Which lends itself to the fact that either WN's open seating isn't the root cause of "fake" preboarders as this happened on a flight with assigned seats or, as has been pointed out a few times, there are a variety of reasons why a wheelchair might not be needed at the destination.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:34 pm

Blocking helps assure "an adequate number of the seats used to provide the seating accommodations required by §382.81."
As elsewhere noted, a seat with a movable aisle armrest must be available for a passenger who uses an aisle chair on board.

"You must not assign these seats to passengers who do not meet the criteria of §382.81 until 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the flight."
That some pax meeting the criteria might take row 4 instead is beside the point.

Southwest's pre-boarding defies rationality. This time next year, look for a whole new policy.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There's a hidden latch at the back of many of the "immovable" aisle armrests that anyone can use to lift them up. It's usually on the bottom almost at the hinge, you can push it back (or whatever direction it moves) and it should release
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:35 pm

Blocking helps assure "an adequate number of the seats used to provide the seating accommodations required by §382.81."
As elsewhere noted, a seat with a movable aisle armrest must be available for a passenger who uses an aisle chair on board.

That some pax meeting the criteria might take row 4 instead is beside the point.

Southwest's pre-boarding defies rationality. This time next year, look for a whole new policy.
It's not really besides the point as you are quoting §382.83(a)(1) and that doesn't apply to WN. Try §382.83(c).

The only way that WN will have a different preboard policy is if they go to assigned seating or apply to the DOT for a different method. I don't see either happening anytime soon but I've been wrong before.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
The only way that WN will have a different preboard policy is if they go to assigned seating or apply to the DOT for a different method. I don't see either happening anytime soon but I've been wrong before.
I suggest a letter-writing campaign urging WN continue its pre-boarding policy exactly as it is.

Otherwise, prepare for change late next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.