Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Wingrider
*cough* Air Marshals *cough*

Had 2 on our flight yesterday.

Details about their boarding omitted because... well just because.
Or could have been NRSA's that the GA allowed to preboard as a favor to their coworkers. Not sure if Deadheading employees can preboard or not but if they can that could have been the case.

Or in my case I mentioned upthread where I wasn't going to give up a good boarding pass for a voucher to take a later flight when mine was oversold and the GA gave me a blue sleeve so I could have a decent seat.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Or could have been NRSA's that the GA allowed to preboard as a favor to their coworkers. Not sure if Deadheading employees can preboard or not but if they can that could have been the case.
Whether it's allowed or not it happens all the time. Airline employees (sometimes not even Southwest employees) are allowed to board before any passengers.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by justhere
I can only hope that maybe, just maybe you'll be a little less selfish and a little more understanding when someone really needs to preboard. Yes, you might have to sit one row further back. It won't materially affect your life. Trust me.
And just as beautiful on the inside as they are from behind.

They still need to sit next to their assistant when they pre-board. "A little less selfish" is a universal objective.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
As for your thought that I'm getting something valuable, well, all I can say is that is simply ignorant. How is a disability something valuable? I know you are talking about getting on early but to suggest that someone disabled should accept a mild restriction is just asinine. They already have to accept a severe lifetime and lifestyle restriction but that's not enough for you. You want them or the person that is only there because they need help to accept an additional restriction? Here's an idea. Why don't you suggest that the frail, the infirm, the crippled, the mentally ill, etc, just be rounded up and be kept out of sight. I mean, come on, one of them might sit in an aisle seat and only leave 55 other aisle seats on the plane. Oh the horror!!

And I should pay a price to move up in the boarding line? Here's a newsflash for you I AM ALREADY PAYING A PRICE. Your statement doesn't sound heartless, it just sounds ignorant. You are so focused on someone getting something you feel they don't deserve you're missing the point that they've potentially lost far more than you think they are getting. Needing to board early is not a right, nor is it a privilege. It's simply something that some people have to do to be able to travel in a reasonably pain free way and a way to minimize the hassles that already occur when traveling.

I hope you never have to experience a true need to preboard because I don't wish that on anyone. I can only hope that maybe, just maybe you'll be a little less selfish and a little more understanding when someone really needs to preboard. Yes, you might have to sit one row further back. It won't materially affect your life. Trust me.
Well said, couldn't put it much better than that
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:01 am

Lastly, if you look at WN's policy for preboarding, it doesn't actually say that it is for people who need more time. It says it is for people who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability, need assistance, or who need to stow an assistive device.
The policy is whatever a WN spokesperson says it is.

"If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups."
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You should have complained if your first plane landed late. BS is still giving you some added benefits like a free drink and bonus points but I'm sure they would have given you a small credit if you ended up in a lousy seat because your first flight was delayed. If someone is going to pay for BS on Southwest though I don't know why they just don't pay for C+ on a legacy if they don't have status. They get a guaranteed seat location even if they are the last to board, more leg room and unlimited drinks and dedicated bin space (assuming the FA enforces it). I a BS fare is fully refundable but on a legacy you can make same day changes for free.
Legacies do not fly out of ISP (except for a USAIR prop), a tremendous 8 gate station WN built up for themselves then just about abandoned. Stuck in the middle numerous times as A01 over the years, once LAX-BWI. Should have...
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
Yeah, because the stress and hassle of flying and the weird lighting of concerts are such conducive situations for perfect, flawless, absolutely error-free facial recognition.
Well, I made contact with them at the baggage claim once we landed in SEA (us deadheads are easy to spot & are too friendly) and continued to chat with them over the next three shows during set breaks (another deadhead trait).

I could point you to a YouTube video of us all jamming together in the front row of the 3rd show!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LegalTender
And just as beautiful on the inside as they are from behind.

They still need to sit next to their assistant when they pre-board. "A little less selfish" is a universal objective.
Not sure what you mean by your first sentence.

I do sit next to the person I'm assisting. I sit across the aisle so I can quickly and easily get up if they need something or need help standing and getting into the aisle.

We don't take the bulkhead row as we are considerate of those that cannot preboard and might think of the bulkhead as premium seats. We cannot take the exit row, nor would we. We simply sit in the first two aisle seats that are across from each other. Usually row 2 or 3. I'm not sure how less selfish I can be and still help the person I'm assisting.

I get that people abuse the system. I don't have an answer for that but to group all preboarders together and denigrate them further by requiring that they should be afforded less accommodations than an able-bodied person is unbelievably small-minded.

"One of you must sit in a middle seat."
"You have to go to the back of the plane."
"You have to wait till everyone else gets off."

The common phrase that's missing from each of those statements is "because you are disabled". That some people think that's ok is selfish and ignorant.

The policy is whatever a WN spokesperson says it is.
Well the official policy says nothing about needing more time so what you quoted sounds like it might be right. However, I'm normally on the plane before the A group is finished boarding (even when traveling alone due to A+). I don't know if the gate agent actually says anything to the effect of "those needing additional time" right before family boarding.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wingrider
*cough* Air Marshals *cough*

Had 2 on our flight yesterday.

Details about their boarding omitted because... well just because.
Ah, that makes sense. They did look like some tough dudes! That makes me feel better.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:42 pm

I do sit next to the person I'm assisting. I sit across the aisle so I can quickly and easily get up if they need something or need help standing and getting into the aisle.
The "ability to easily get up" for 4 others shouldn't be foreclosed by 'what-if's' for one.

Occupying the middle seat leaves only a single passenger inconvenienced.

Even the "unbelievably small minded" have a call button if they need something.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:47 pm

Clearly you don't. Again, I'm not being disrespectful, just pointing out that by your own admission you don't know. If you think that traveling with an 83 y.o. who was denied early boarding qualifies you in any way, that just proves you don't understand the issue.

Age has nothing to do with it. My 93 y.o. aunt would put many of us to shame as far as physical and mental ability. She would not ask for, nor would she need early boarding. Just because I might travel with her and she would actually be denied early boarding doesn't make me any sort of expert.

What does is traveling with someone who truly has a disability. Doesn't matter whether they are 93, 39, or even 9.

By your logic, if someone wealthy doesn't pay taxes because of some shady accounting, the rest of us who want to save on our taxes should suffer and pay more to discourage other people from cheating on their taxes.

I would love to be in a position where sitting in a middle seat was an option. The person I travel with cannot easily get into or out of their seat on their own. While you, an expert in your own mind, cannot fathom this, the person I sometimes travel with cannot sit in the middle seat without experiencing some pain because of they way they would have to turn/walk/shuffle/slide into the seat. If I sit in the middle I can't be standing in the aisle to help them get into and out of their seat. And helping them doesn't mean holding their hand. It means physically supporting their body weight to minimize pain and to prevent a fall.

As for your thought that I'm getting something valuable, well, all I can say is that is simply ignorant. How is a disability something valuable? I know you are talking about getting on early but to suggest that someone disabled should accept a mild restriction is just asinine. They already have to accept a severe lifetime and lifestyle restriction but that's not enough for you. You want them or the person that is only there because they need help to accept an additional restriction? Here's an idea. Why don't you suggest that the frail, the infirm, the crippled, the mentally ill, etc, just be rounded up and be kept out of sight. I mean, come on, one of them might sit in an aisle seat and only leave 55 other aisle seats on the plane. Oh the horror!!

And I should pay a price to move up in the boarding line? Here's a newsflash for you I AM ALREADY PAYING A PRICE. Your statement doesn't sound heartless, it just sounds ignorant. You are so focused on someone getting something you feel they don't deserve you're missing the point that they've potentially lost far more than you think they are getting. Needing to board early is not a right, nor is it a privilege. It's simply something that some people have to do to be able to travel in a reasonably pain free way and a way to minimize the hassles that already occur when traveling.

I hope you never have to experience a true need to preboard because I don't wish that on anyone. I can only hope that maybe, just maybe you'll be a little less selfish and a little more understanding when someone really needs to preboard. Yes, you might have to sit one row further back. It won't materially affect your life. Trust me.
You obviously have good reasons for preboarding and wanting the aisles across seats that you do. What people resent is the abuse of preboarding by people who just want a better seat without paying, and we offered what we think are some ways how to discourage that.

Seems like a bulkhead row could work for many who genuinely need special boarding or special seating, so maybe it ought to be reservable by those who have a doctor' note or a handicap parking tag or some kind of verification. Others can climb across a preboarder in the aisle seat of a bulkhead row so maybe the middle seat would work for the assistant in that row, likewise anyone else could get out without discomoding the preboarder.

Do you have any good ideas yourself?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
But if it doesn't happen to me, then it's obviously not real, because I'm the be-all end-all of everything, the alpha and the omega!
This is a nearly universal principle on the Internet. Everyone should share my opinion on every issue. Anyone who claims to disagree is ignorant or deluded and needs to be shouted down. Needless to say, that sort of "discussion" persuades no one.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Hey, here's an idea, no one and I mean no one gets to preboard. If you're that dammed handicapped maybe you shouldn't be traveling to begin with. Just move into the old folks home now.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
The "ability to easily get up" for 4 others shouldn't be foreclosed by 'what-if's' for one.

Occupying the middle seat leaves only a single passenger inconvenienced.

Even the "unbelievably small minded" have a call button if they need something.
I don't like to impose on the flight attendants for anything other than what they are there for. If I ask them to assist my companion to go to the bathroom, then what am I there for? Additionally, while they are doing that, they are not available to other passengers so really it would be more than four others that are inconvenienced.

I'm trying to inconvenience as few as possible. At most I'm inconveniencing two people. The two that might sit in the middle and window in the row that has my companion. Not sure how your math works that I've inconvenienced four people.
Originally Posted by Tizzette
You obviously have good reasons for preboarding and wanting the aisles across seats that you do. What people resent is the abuse of preboarding by people who just want a better seat without paying, and we offered what we think are some ways how to discourage that.

Seems like a bulkhead row could work for many who genuinely need special boarding or special seating, so maybe it ought to be reservable by those who have a doctor' note or a handicap parking tag or some kind of verification. Others can climb across a preboarder in the aisle seat of a bulkhead row so maybe the middle seat would work for the assistant in that row, likewise anyone else could get out without discomoding the preboarder.

Do you have any good ideas yourself?
I understand what people resent regarding preboarders and I've said several times that I understand their frustration with people who abuse the privilege. What you and others have offered can and does cause problems for those that genuinely need to preboard. Why should those people not have the same rights as other passengers on the plane in order to punish the abusers? By that logic, people who get handicapped parking tags that don't really need them should cause all handicapped parking spaces to be the furthest from the store.

I don't take the bulkhead row because some people consider that a premium seat. I'm not interested in taking that away from someone that couldn't preboard. I'm trying to be as fair as I can but still take care of the person I'm traveling with. I realize not everyone thinks that way and I can't change that but I can be as considerate and unobtrusive as possible when I travel.

Like I said, I don't have an answer that complies with current laws and regulations.
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Hey, here's an idea, no one and I mean no one gets to preboard. If you're that dammed handicapped maybe you shouldn't be traveling to begin with. Just move into the old folks home now.
I hope you're kidding but if not, then you're a moron. Not everyone that is disabled is old. We can't all be perfect like you.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:30 pm

I'm not interested in taking that away from someone that couldn't preboard. I'm trying to be as fair as I can but still take care of the person I'm traveling with. I realize not everyone thinks that way and I can't change that but I can be as considerate and unobtrusive as possible when I travel.
What deplaning formality from Row 2 aisle seats would be considerate and unobtrusive?

Mobility-limited people are happy to avail themselves of the privilege of free early boarding while at the same time immediately move to disembark the instant the seat belt sign is turned off.

The closest you'll ever get to the airline doing anything is when when those waiting for wheelchairs clog the jetway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.