Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: texashoser
Beginning July 1, 2014, Southwest Airlines will operate daily, nonstop flights between:
  • Atlanta and Aruba, and Montego Bay
  • Baltimore/Washington and Aruba, Nassau, and (twice daily) Montego Bay
  • Orlando and (Saturday only) Aruba, and Montego Bay

For international bookings, only ATL, BOS, BWI, MCO, or PIT can serve as the origination/destination airport. Separate bookings are necessary if positioning flights are required.

UPDATE: Starting August 5, 2014, more cities via staggered schedule will be added as allowed origination/destination airports. The schedule is as follows:

Aug. 5 BDL, DCA, DTW, HOU, LGA, RDU, SDF
Aug. 10 SNA, MKE
Aug. 19 BNA, ORF, PHL, SFO, SJC, SMF, STL
Aug. 26 ALB, BUF, DAY, IND, MCI, MSP, OAK, ROC
Sept. 16 CMH, GRR, ISP, LAX, MHT, PVD, PWM
Sept. 30 DSM, LAS, OKC, PDX, SEA
Oct. 5 ABQ, CAK, CLE, DAL, OMA, SLC
Oct. 28 BOI, FNT, GEG, RNO
Nov. 2 AUS, MDW, SAT
Nov. 11 AMA, CLT, GSP, MSY, ONT
Nov. 18 BHM, CHS, FLL, JAX, LIT, PBI, PHX, RSW, SAN, SJU, TPA, TUS
Dec. 16 CRP, ECP, HRL, ICT, MAF, MEM, PNS, RIC
Print Wikipost

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ninjasurfer99
I just looked today at the international flights out of BWI. I looked at going to Nassau July 3rd to the 6th. The outgoing flight is listed at 126$ and the return is 208$.

Booking with points however is only 6,060 points for BOTH flights. Shouldn't it be:
126 x 60 = 7,560 points
208 x 60 = 12,480 points

If this is accurate, you're getting an incredible value using points on these flights right now.

12,120 is all you need to book this roundtrip. 12,120 / 60 (points per dollar) =202 $ worth of points vs. the 334 dollars booking with cash.
Did you happen to notice how much you'll be paying in taxes out of pocket even if you pay with points? Let's just say it's a bit more than just $2.50 per segment.

Remember, the fares you see listed in dollars now include all taxes, so once you change it to points you'll see the breakdown of the actual fare vs all the taxes.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Seriously, won't all these places be hot as %$^& in that one month that is open?
We booked Aruba which is actually pretty consistent weather wise all year.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Marko123
Did you happen to notice how much you'll be paying in taxes out of pocket even if you pay with points? Let's just say it's a bit more than just $2.50 per segment.

Remember, the fares you see listed in dollars now include all taxes, so once you change it to points you'll see the breakdown of the actual fare vs all the taxes.
Looking at BWI-NAS-BWI right now - 12,120 points plus $92 in taxes, compared to $333.50 in cash. So 2 cents/point worth of value. This has to be a mixup.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Looking at BWI-NAS-BWI right now - 12,120 points plus $92 in taxes, compared to $333.50 in cash. So 2 cents/point worth of value. This has to be a mixup.
I believe what you're seeing is related to the current glitch where points bookings aren't being charged points for the excise taxes.

Point formula change = One-time boost in the value of your points stockpile!

Edit: Southwest is either trying to fix the points glitch right now, or there's something else wrong. When I try to verify and book both with cash and points, the points booking generates the error shown in the 2nd pic below.

Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:56 pm

Odd, it's working now. That's definitely what's happening. Points aren't being charged on the excise tax portion.

Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
i want to book LAX to AUA but it wont do connecting flights in ATL, so I guess i have to book the separate legs myself?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Originally Posted by indelible
i want to book LAX to AUA but it wont do connecting flights in ATL, so I guess i have to book the separate legs myself?
That is correct.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I believe what you're seeing is related to the current glitch where points bookings aren't being charged points for the excise taxes.
I posted in the tax question thread. Here is the deal. International taxes are handled differently and you will not be able to use points to pay for them, those are out of pocket. To ensure no issues with the system, everything was standardized across the system so you are no longer changed for domestic taxes (when using points) either. WN is eating the excise taxes for domestic only as of right now.

Originally Posted by indelible
Only connections originating in BOS and PIT are permitted for now, everyone else is going to have to book two reservations and build their own connections. I would imagine this has something to do with Amadeus and SAAS talking to each other.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyventure
WN is eating the excise taxes for domestic only as of right now.
The way you worded this makes me believe you think they will start charging us for the excise tax on points reservations in the future (e.g. pay points for base fare plus dollars for excise and security fee)?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20
The way you worded this makes me believe you think they will start charging us for the excise tax on points reservations in the future (e.g. pay points for base fare plus dollars for excise and security fee)?
Don't read that much into it. Nothing is ever certain in the airline world. Things are always subject to change.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:09 pm

Shoot now need to decide if I should change my point booking to AUA to dollars. Right now its $12.50 taxes/fees per person there and $55 back. I guess there points is good but on way back using CP I should pay $.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyventure
I posted in the tax question thread. Here is the deal. International taxes are handled differently and you will not be able to use points to pay for them, those are out of pocket. To ensure no issues with the system, everything was standardized across the system so you are no longer changed for domestic taxes (when using points) either. WN is eating the excise taxes for domestic only as of right now.
If you look at the Fare Breakdown comparison I posted above, you see that -- apparently -- Southwest is also "eating" the excise taxes (?) on international. (I assume the $35 "excise tax" listed is actually the $17.50/Head International Arrival/Departure Tax.)

I find it hard to believe that Southwest is going to "eat" $35 per r/t for all international points bookings.

(Also, they're apparently "eating" the Passenger Facility Charge?)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 pm

The Excise Tax on Domestic Flights is 7.5% I don't know if International is different.

$35 on $202 is much more than that.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The Excise Tax on Domestic Flights is 7.5% I don't know if International is different.

$35 on $202 is much more than that.
Correct. That's why I assume by "excise tax" they mean the $17.50/Head International Arrival/Departure Tax being charged to cash buyers, but apparently being "eaten" by Southwest on points bookings.

Which seems very unlikely, IMHO.

Reference (note: pdf)
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Marko123

taxes kills the deal, most of the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.