Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: texashoser
Beginning July 1, 2014, Southwest Airlines will operate daily, nonstop flights between:
  • Atlanta and Aruba, and Montego Bay
  • Baltimore/Washington and Aruba, Nassau, and (twice daily) Montego Bay
  • Orlando and (Saturday only) Aruba, and Montego Bay

For international bookings, only ATL, BOS, BWI, MCO, or PIT can serve as the origination/destination airport. Separate bookings are necessary if positioning flights are required.

UPDATE: Starting August 5, 2014, more cities via staggered schedule will be added as allowed origination/destination airports. The schedule is as follows:

Aug. 5 BDL, DCA, DTW, HOU, LGA, RDU, SDF
Aug. 10 SNA, MKE
Aug. 19 BNA, ORF, PHL, SFO, SJC, SMF, STL
Aug. 26 ALB, BUF, DAY, IND, MCI, MSP, OAK, ROC
Sept. 16 CMH, GRR, ISP, LAX, MHT, PVD, PWM
Sept. 30 DSM, LAS, OKC, PDX, SEA
Oct. 5 ABQ, CAK, CLE, DAL, OMA, SLC
Oct. 28 BOI, FNT, GEG, RNO
Nov. 2 AUS, MDW, SAT
Nov. 11 AMA, CLT, GSP, MSY, ONT
Nov. 18 BHM, CHS, FLL, JAX, LIT, PBI, PHX, RSW, SAN, SJU, TPA, TUS
Dec. 16 CRP, ECP, HRL, ICT, MAF, MEM, PNS, RIC
Print Wikipost

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:43 am

They should iron out a way to have connections to a hub that makes the international flight. Kind of inconvenient to book a one way to the hub, a round trip from the hub to destination back to hub, then a 1 way home. Probably would cost more as well.

Got some work to do, but a big step forward.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:51 am

I booked a flight with points from Orlando to Montego Bay with no problems. Added a companion with companion pass with no problems. I can view both reservation on the Southwest site. But when I look at "my travel" on my account it does not show the compaion reservation. Anyone else see this?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:54 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by chuckworth
Maybe it's just me but this announcement kind of underwhelms.
Perhaps you overestimate Southwest's aggregate capability to successfully implement IT projects like adding international reservations.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Forget international...I would rather just have HAWAII. But Gary's comments last week made that seem very unlikely in the near future.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by formeraa
Forget international...I would rather just have HAWAII. But Gary's comments last week made that seem very unlikely in the near future.
Hawaii is NOT going to happen. And if it ever does, it will be several years out. Too much competition and WN's fares would have to be too high. They'd get their eyes poked out.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone found any direct flights from MDW to any international destinations? Seems like I can only find Connections from BWI or MCO.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:05 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the clarification! I'm glad that ALL companion pass holders can travel!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Has anyone found any direct flights from MDW to any international destinations? Seems like I can only find Connections from BWI or MCO.
Not yet. They will consider it. You will see. You have connecting through BWI, ATL or MCO.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Does MDW have the facilities for international flights (CBP and such)?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Beckles
Volaris flys there to/from Mexico
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
My speculation: Ability to use the Companion Pass on international flights may lead to the demise or devaluation of the Companion Pass after 2015.
Just wondering why you think this? Just because CP could get a lot more usage in general?

I priced a few routes and they were cheaper than expected (true, only summer bookings are available now), and you still have to pay out of pocket for all the taxes ($92 r/t BWI-NAS)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:29 pm

Mexico and Canada: 10 non-stops/day, combined.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:40 pm

In addition to the others mentioned Air Tran was already doing Cancun, Aruba, Punta Cana and a couple of others through MDW.

That said its a very lackluster and slow process compared to DUB, DTW or YYV (At least in my experience). No GE kiosks either
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by Marko123
Just wondering why you think this? Just because CP could get a lot more usage in general?

I priced a few routes and they were cheaper than expected (true, only summer bookings are available now), and you still have to pay out of pocket for all the taxes ($92 r/t BWI-NAS)
I am guessing that since these flights are so limited, Companions taking up the limited seats that they have are going to make it so that these are not very profitable routes. Plus, I am sure these will be highly traveled routes for companion pass holders.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I am guessing that since these flights are so limited, Companions taking up the limited seats that they have are going to make it so that these are not very profitable routes. Plus, I am sure these will be highly traveled routes for companion pass holders.
Makes sense. I'll have to get a trip in before the gravy train runs out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.