Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: texashoser
Beginning July 1, 2014, Southwest Airlines will operate daily, nonstop flights between:
  • Atlanta and Aruba, and Montego Bay
  • Baltimore/Washington and Aruba, Nassau, and (twice daily) Montego Bay
  • Orlando and (Saturday only) Aruba, and Montego Bay

For international bookings, only ATL, BOS, BWI, MCO, or PIT can serve as the origination/destination airport. Separate bookings are necessary if positioning flights are required.

UPDATE: Starting August 5, 2014, more cities via staggered schedule will be added as allowed origination/destination airports. The schedule is as follows:

Aug. 5 BDL, DCA, DTW, HOU, LGA, RDU, SDF
Aug. 10 SNA, MKE
Aug. 19 BNA, ORF, PHL, SFO, SJC, SMF, STL
Aug. 26 ALB, BUF, DAY, IND, MCI, MSP, OAK, ROC
Sept. 16 CMH, GRR, ISP, LAX, MHT, PVD, PWM
Sept. 30 DSM, LAS, OKC, PDX, SEA
Oct. 5 ABQ, CAK, CLE, DAL, OMA, SLC
Oct. 28 BOI, FNT, GEG, RNO
Nov. 2 AUS, MDW, SAT
Nov. 11 AMA, CLT, GSP, MSY, ONT
Nov. 18 BHM, CHS, FLL, JAX, LIT, PBI, PHX, RSW, SAN, SJU, TPA, TUS
Dec. 16 CRP, ECP, HRL, ICT, MAF, MEM, PNS, RIC
Print Wikipost

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
If you look at the Fare Breakdown comparison I posted above, you see that -- apparently -- Southwest is also "eating" the excise taxes (?) on international. (I assume the $35 "excise tax" listed is actually the $17.50/Head International Arrival/Departure Tax.)

I find it hard to believe that Southwest is going to "eat" $35 per r/t for all international points bookings.

(Also, they're apparently "eating" the Passenger Facility Charge?)
That would almost have to be the bug in the system because of the way explanation given by the company on why it isn't included in points total for domestic reservations anymore.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:15 am

If you look at the Fare Breakdown comparison I posted above, you see that -- apparently -- Southwest is also "eating" the excise taxes (?) on international. (I assume the $35 "excise tax" listed is actually the $17.50/Head International Arrival/Departure Tax.)

I find it hard to believe that Southwest is going to "eat" $35 per r/t for all international points bookings.

(Also, they're apparently "eating" the Passenger Facility Charge?)

Southwest is not "eating" anything except possibly in the very short term. The change is effectively neutral as Southwest in addition to reducing the number of points needed to book flight has simultaneously reduced the number of points awarded for taking a flight. Many people have "burned" more points for flights in the future than the new rules but many people who paid cash for tickets in the future will also receive fewer points. It seems likely that the two buckets effectively cancel each other.

There is a one time increase in existing points that partly offsets the coming decrease in the value of points.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Southwest is not "eating" anything except possibly in the very short term. The change is effectively neutral as Southwest in addition to reducing the number of points needed to book flight has simultaneously reduced the number of points awarded for taking a flight.
Not neutral.

You are ignoring the people (like me) who get immensely more WN points from credit cards, hotel transfers, etc. than from flying. We are apparently getting a break (after of course being scrod in the 60 => 70 deal).
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:50 am

So does anyone know if the excise taxes are refundable if we cancel RR tickets? I'm noticing that the verbiage about it being refundable is diff't than a domestic itinerary. I have screen shots but not sure if I can post.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You are ignoring the people (like me) who get immensely more WN points from credit cards, hotel transfers, etc. than from flying. We are apparently getting a break (after of course being scrod in the 60 => 70 deal).

You're right. This increases the value of points not earned by flying.

It also increases the cost of tier status by making TQP more expensive.

In all a net gain for non-flyers and possibly driving more Early Bird purchases in the future by reducing the number of A-Listers next year.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
So does anyone know if the excise taxes are refundable if we cancel RR tickets? I'm noticing that the verbiage about it being refundable is diff't than a domestic itinerary. I have screen shots but not sure if I can post.
Actually, does anyone know if int'l itineraries are refundable at all? When I book a domestic ticket with points, it says, "Nonrefundable unless purchased with Points". When I am booking int'l, it says, "Nonrefundable". Hmmm...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Actually, does anyone know if int'l itineraries are refundable at all? When I book a domestic ticket with points, it says, "Nonrefundable unless purchased with Points". When I am booking int'l, it says, "Nonrefundable". Hmmm...

You could call and ask, but it looks to me like they making this up as they go along.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:33 pm

Southwest is not "eating" anything except possibly in the very short term. The change is effectively neutral as Southwest in addition to reducing the number of points needed to book flight has simultaneously reduced the number of points awarded for taking a flight. Many people have "burned" more points for flights in the future than the new rules but many people who paid cash for tickets in the future will also receive fewer points. It seems likely that the two buckets effectively cancel each other.

There is a one time increase in existing points that partly offsets the coming decrease in the value of points.
The excise tax is a tangible thing that has to be paid by Southwest to the federal government. In a cash booking, that is paid by the flyer, and no points are earned on that portion (7.5% of base fare for domestic, $17.50 o/w for international). On a points booking, Southwest doesn't charge the flyer, so they themselves have to pay the government (although they also now don't grant points for that portion, as they did in the past). The value of a real dollar -- the kind used to pay the tax -- is significantly higher than the value of the points previously awarded. So, while it's 'wash" in the long run for flyers, this change represents more real costs for Southwest.

Do they know what they're doing?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Presumably 7.5% of a fare of zero is zero, so nothing to pay there. I'm looking at a receipt for a transatlantic award booking I've done on UA, and the only U.S. charges are:

U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
September 11th Security Fee: 7.50

which looks similar to the WN international receipt, without that int'l arrival/departure tax. Does the government not collect that on free trips? The same as on domestic awards, where the PFC and segment fee are not collected, but the security fee is. In fact I have a WN award receipt saying:

Base Fare $ 0.00
Excise Taxes $ 0.00
Segment Fee$ 0.00
Passenger Facility Charge $ 0.00
September 11th Security Fee $ 5.00
Total Air Cost $ 5.00

So indeed, does the government not collect those zero amounts on free trips?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:08 pm

Very interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility that the government would forego collecting taxes on "free" flights, but that may in fact be the case.

No Amount Paid for Air Transportation
As a general rule, all amounts paid for the air transportation of persons are subject to tax. Where no amount is paid for air transportation, such as when the transportation is obtained by the redemption of frequent flyer miles, the transaction is not subject to the percentage tax, the domestic segment tax, or international facilities tax. Cite: Rev. Rul. 84-12, 1984-1 C.B. 211. Similarly, where an airline provides its employees with free air transportation, the tax does not apply. However, if the employee pays any amount for the flight, the amount paid is subject to tax. Cite: Rev. Rul. 70-381, 1970-2 C.B. 270.
Source: IRS Air Transportation Excise Tax - Audit Technique Guide

Meaning… Southwest may actually know what they're doing. Color me shocked.

Edit: Reading that IRS site a little further, it does appear that the government may get some percentage of the value of the miles/points from the issuer as a way of recovering at portion of those taxes. Or maybe I'm wrong… I certainly am not a tax lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Last edited by ursine1; Jan 29, 2014 at 5:11 pm Reason: Added info
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The excise tax is a tangible thing that has to be paid by Southwest to the federal government. ...The value of a real dollar -- the kind used to pay the tax

I think they do!!

Southwest is considering any point redemption as "award travel", resulting in a tax $0. (a segment fee is due but no 7.5% excise tax)

info is here:
and from the IRS here.

Mileage Awards...are not subject to the tax to the extent those miles will be awarded in connection with the purchase of taxable transportation.

This means that Chase pays an excise tax when buying a customer a points award, But Southwest does not have to pay any Excise tax when its own customers redeem the points they have earned through flying or any other source.

It was MUCH more profitable to Southwest to charge customers the higher amount of points (107.5% of "base fare"), despite them having to submit $0.00 in percentage excise tax.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I think they do!!

Southwest is considering any point redemption as "award travel", resulting in a tax $0. (a segment fee is due but no 7.5% excise tax)

info is here:
and from the IRS here.

Mileage Awards...are not subject to the tax to the extent those miles will be awarded in connection with the purchase of taxable transportation.

This means that Chase pays an excise tax when buying a customer a points award, But Southwest does not have to pay any Excise tax when its own customers redeem the points they have earned through flying or any other source.

It was MUCH more profitable to Southwest to charge customers the higher amount of points (107.5% of "base fare"), despite them having to submit $0.00 in percentage excise tax.
Doesn't this mean it's a wash?

OLD: Charge 7.5% on points redemption, grant points on 7.5% paid cash. Excise tax paid: $0
New: Don't charge 7.5% on points redemption, don't grant points on 7.5% paid cash. Excise tax paid: $0
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:49 pm

The excise tax is a tangible thing that has to be paid by Southwest to the federal government. In a cash booking, that is paid by the flyer, and no points are earned on that portion (7.5% of base fare for domestic, $17.50 o/w for international). On a points booking, Southwest doesn't charge the flyer, so they themselves have to pay the government (although they also now don't grant points for that portion, as they did in the past). The value of a real dollar -- the kind used to pay the tax -- is significantly higher than the value of the points previously awarded. So, while it's 'wash" in the long run for flyers, this change represents more real costs for Southwest.

They have been paying the tax all along, just like they pay pilots, jet fuel and all other costs. There is not increase in cost to Southwest.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:52 pm

They have been paying the tax all along, just like they pay pilots, jet fuel and all other costs. There is not increase in cost to Southwest.
Read the posts directly above yours. Apparently they have not been paying the tax all along.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Are these on FL metal or WN metal? I transferred a bunch of points this summer to FL to put a few of us LAX-ATL-AUA and back in J, and really couldn't see myself doing that in all-Y seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.