Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: texashoser
Beginning July 1, 2014, Southwest Airlines will operate daily, nonstop flights between:
  • Atlanta and Aruba, and Montego Bay
  • Baltimore/Washington and Aruba, Nassau, and (twice daily) Montego Bay
  • Orlando and (Saturday only) Aruba, and Montego Bay

For international bookings, only ATL, BOS, BWI, MCO, or PIT can serve as the origination/destination airport. Separate bookings are necessary if positioning flights are required.

UPDATE: Starting August 5, 2014, more cities via staggered schedule will be added as allowed origination/destination airports. The schedule is as follows:

Aug. 5 BDL, DCA, DTW, HOU, LGA, RDU, SDF
Aug. 10 SNA, MKE
Aug. 19 BNA, ORF, PHL, SFO, SJC, SMF, STL
Aug. 26 ALB, BUF, DAY, IND, MCI, MSP, OAK, ROC
Sept. 16 CMH, GRR, ISP, LAX, MHT, PVD, PWM
Sept. 30 DSM, LAS, OKC, PDX, SEA
Oct. 5 ABQ, CAK, CLE, DAL, OMA, SLC
Oct. 28 BOI, FNT, GEG, RNO
Nov. 2 AUS, MDW, SAT
Nov. 11 AMA, CLT, GSP, MSY, ONT
Nov. 18 BHM, CHS, FLL, JAX, LIT, PBI, PHX, RSW, SAN, SJU, TPA, TUS
Dec. 16 CRP, ECP, HRL, ICT, MAF, MEM, PNS, RIC
Print Wikipost

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123
Makes sense. I'll have to get a trip in before the gravy train runs out.
For that reason Airtran International flights have been hard to book with Credits and cheap fares sell out quickly. I expect to see the lowest fares be limited.

While I agree these flights will be heavily booked by CP holders, but I wonder how many of them there actually are.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
I just booked a trip to AUA. I had to actually book 4 tickets - ABQ to BWI ; BWI to ABQ and then BWI to AUA; AUA to BWI. I did it all on Southwest and used points for husbands tickets and CP for my tickets.

It cost more points to book the ABQ/BWI segment [10,549 points each] than ABQ/AUA [ 8700 points each] !!

Hopefully, I will be able to lower the ABQ/BWI segment with a sale fare before August.

I just flew ABQ - PBI via BWI for a lot less than what that ABQ/BWI segment is going to cost.

Sigh...devaluation sux.

Last edited by DebitNM; Jan 28, 2014 at 6:00 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:33 pm

Hmmm. Checking Standard Award availability for international routes generates this:

Oops! The travel funds that you provided are invalid. Please select a different form of payment to complete your booking or contact us at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) for further assistance. (67111 - 10962)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:44 pm

I wanted to check on Standard Award for my ABQ/BWI segment, but forgot how to see if there is availability. Can someone help me out with how to do this?? Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by DebitNM
I wanted to check on Standard Award for my ABQ/BWI segment, but forgot how to see if there is availability. Can someone help me out with how to do this?? Thanks!
https://www.southwest.com/flight/log...s/certificates
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:40 pm

Thanks, ursine1 No availability, alas. Oh well...

Last edited by DebitNM; Jan 28, 2014 at 6:02 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I couldn't "book" a flight from SJC to CUN using SWAbiz.com. I got a similar RED error as mentioned up thread but was told to click on southwest.com link to book.

Hey what if we want to do a team retreat? They're missing out on a opp…
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
Originally Posted by Wingrider
I couldn't "book" a flight from SJC to CUN using SWAbiz.com. I got a similar RED error as mentioned up thread but was told to click on southwest.com link to book.

Hey what if we want to do a team retreat? They're missing out on a opp…
CUN wasn't released today, only AUA/MBJ/NAS (from select cities)
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:52 pm

Yeah something goofy with published fares to these new destinations. Nothing at all AUS -> NAS, but I can book AUS -> BWI and BWI -> NAS separately with plenty of time between flights both outbound and inbound.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:57 pm

Nothing at all AUS -> NAS, but I can book AUS -> BWI and BWI -> NAS separately

That was what I found, and I booked it for now with points and CP. See post#47
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:52 am

yawn

they are still being slow as molasses, almost 3 years after they merged they still haven't merged FF programs, International flights, and they managed to kill a few good cities....want to see key west?, better hurry.

They only mention 3 destinations, from 3 cities that AirTran already runs flights out of....so now you can book an AirTran flight through SW and use a CP and SW points....hurrah hurrah, should've happened 2 years ago!!

As mentioned the connecting flights to these international hubs still leave a lot to be desired....from DAL I would have to fly to ATL the day before, book a RT from ATL to MBJ and then another OW back to DAL the day after because SW doesn't fly ATL-DAL past sunset...I can do that now using SW for the OW and my AirTran points for the international RT (of course the CP is useless with the AirTran part of it) all they really have to do is combine booking engines and allow CP on AirTran flights as well...but I bet that won't happen until Oct. when they lift the Wright amendment out of DAL...even still I bet it will be the very end of 2014 before they actually get any real integration done.
Bottom line is they don't want to lose the bag/change fee revenue from AirTran booked flights, and they don't want CP users booking international on AirTran. They are not that sloppy and slow, they are intentionally dragging their heels, and we the passengers have to wait years for the benefits of this merger.
Even though I'm disgusted with the merger progress, I still signed my wife up to get the CP this year, and even dumped another 120k from a Marriott travel package into her account. So we will be flying them often in the next 2 years....once the wright amendment goes away (and really they could have gotten around it, if they wanted to) it will be nice not to feel like I'm riding the bus with multiple stops before getting to a destination.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:57 am

I find it odd to announce with great fanfare bookings that begin July 1 when your schedule is only available until August 8.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ursine1
I find it odd to announce with great fanfare bookings that begin July 1 when your schedule is only available until August 8.
Seriously, won't all these places be hot as %$^& in that one month that is open?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 am

yeah, like being proud of adding new cruise routes to the Caribbean during hurricane season.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, SW CP
Anyone notice the difference in price vs. points?

I just looked today at the international flights out of BWI. I looked at going to Nassau July 3rd to the 6th. The outgoing flight is listed at 126$ and the return is 208$.

Booking with points however is only 6,060 points for BOTH flights. Shouldn't it be:
126 x 60 = 7,560 points
208 x 60 = 12,480 points

If this is accurate, you're getting an incredible value using points on these flights right now.

12,120 is all you need to book this roundtrip. 12,120 / 60 (points per dollar) =202 $ worth of points vs. the 334 dollars booking with cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.