Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: texashoser
Beginning July 1, 2014, Southwest Airlines will operate daily, nonstop flights between:
  • Atlanta and Aruba, and Montego Bay
  • Baltimore/Washington and Aruba, Nassau, and (twice daily) Montego Bay
  • Orlando and (Saturday only) Aruba, and Montego Bay

For international bookings, only ATL, BOS, BWI, MCO, or PIT can serve as the origination/destination airport. Separate bookings are necessary if positioning flights are required.

UPDATE: Starting August 5, 2014, more cities via staggered schedule will be added as allowed origination/destination airports. The schedule is as follows:

Aug. 5 BDL, DCA, DTW, HOU, LGA, RDU, SDF
Aug. 10 SNA, MKE
Aug. 19 BNA, ORF, PHL, SFO, SJC, SMF, STL
Aug. 26 ALB, BUF, DAY, IND, MCI, MSP, OAK, ROC
Sept. 16 CMH, GRR, ISP, LAX, MHT, PVD, PWM
Sept. 30 DSM, LAS, OKC, PDX, SEA
Oct. 5 ABQ, CAK, CLE, DAL, OMA, SLC
Oct. 28 BOI, FNT, GEG, RNO
Nov. 2 AUS, MDW, SAT
Nov. 11 AMA, CLT, GSP, MSY, ONT
Nov. 18 BHM, CHS, FLL, JAX, LIT, PBI, PHX, RSW, SAN, SJU, TPA, TUS
Dec. 16 CRP, ECP, HRL, ICT, MAF, MEM, PNS, RIC
Print Wikipost

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
For those of you who have booked International flights from origins other than the "official" departures cities - this just came to me:

A sweep of our two reservations databases using your e-mail address shows that two reservations, confirmation numbers XXXXXX and ZZZZZZ, have been booked for travel on the same day. Since we are not yet offering scheduled service between Aruba, AW and Albuquerque, NM, we believe that you may have decided to build your own schedule and itinerary in order to travel internationally. If that is the case, we want to ensure you are fully educated on what to expect and on what inconsistency you may experience.

Because our international flights currently are booked in a different reservation system than our domestic service, your flights in the United States are booked in one reservation system, and your international flights are booked in another. This means that our Agents’ view to your entire journey is limited as the two reservations are not linked across the systems in any way. Additionally, each flight is treated as an individual flight rather than as a “connecting” flight.

If you choose to travel on an unscheduled itinerary and check luggage, we want to make you aware of potential impacts to your travel experience.

· You have two separate reservations and two separate tickets.

· You must check in for your flights on each reservation separately in order to receive boarding passes for both reservations.

· Your checked baggage will be transported only to the destination listed on each ticket, not all the way through to your final destination. This means you must:

· leave the secured area of the airport

· claim your luggage at baggage claim

· re-check your luggage at the ticket counter to the destination listed on your second ticket at least 60 minutes prior to departure

· proceed back through the security checkpoint for screening

· arrive at your departure gate ready for boarding at least 20 minutes prior to your next flight’s departure. If you have not arrived at the departure gate at least 10 minutes prior to departure, your reservation is subject to cancellation and your seat may be relinquished to another Customer. You will not be eligible for denied boarding compensation and will be considered a “no show” Customer. Our No Show Policy will then apply, your remaining flights on the reservation will be cancelled, and your funds will be forfeited. To continue your travel, you will be required to purchase another ticket.

· Because you are not traveling on a scheduled connection and are building your own flight itinerary, some protections afforded in our Contract of Carriage for flight or baggage disruptions will not apply to you or your travel, as you will be considered an originating Customer for each flight.

Please also note that, even if not checking luggage, extra time should be allowed for clearing Customs prior to checking in for the domestic portion of an unscheduled connection.

With this additional knowledge, should you elect to cancel these reservations and make other arrangements, please call Southwest Airlines at 800-I-FLY-SWA (800-435-9792) and mention that you need to cancel an unscheduled international connection that you created and give the Representative both confirmation numbers. For this one time only, we will provide a full refund of the reservation, even if the fare you purchased is nonrefundable.

We want to ensure the best possible Customer Experience, which is why our Agents will not intentionally book an international reservation that is not published for sale. Your business is very important to us, and we are glad that you are excited about traveling with Southwest Airlines to one of our international destinations. Make sure to check southwest.com often as our schedule will continue to change as we add more international service, and there may soon be published service for your desired route.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:38 pm

Just got that as well. I wonder if I dont have checked luggage if I will still have to exit the secured areas and get rescreened.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:51 pm

We have almost 2 1/2 hours between the arrival of our flight in BWI [ from AUA] til the departure of our flight out of BWI. Seems like enough time, we will do carry on only. We have Global Entry, so hoping this should be enough time.

Our flights on way TO AUA isn't a problem as we have to stay over in Baltimore and go to AUA the next day.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Heh, just as they finally get the Wright Amendment repealed WN reintroduces the so called Texas two step.

Originally Posted by olouie
Just got that as well. I wonder if I dont have checked luggage if I will still have to exit the secured areas and get rescreened.
I see no reason why you would have to as GAs should be able to issue boarding passes and check your passport.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:53 pm

Do you clear customs in AUA or back at BWI???
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by DebitNM
Do you clear customs in AUA or back at BWI???
http://airportaruba.com/airport_guid...w==&catid=NTU=

Presumably the Unisted States would be where BWI is.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:42 pm

That should make taking 2 unrelated flights a bit easier. I still would prefer to have the entire itin on one ticket, it would be way cheaper if nothing else. Someday...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:21 pm

That should make taking 2 unrelated flights a bit easier. I still would prefer to have the entire itin on one ticket, it would be way cheaper if nothing else. Someday...
Not until the res systems are linked. There is a reason why they are testing the communication out from PIT and BOS to see how they can handle it. It'll be done, some are just getting ahead of the game and WN is just wanting those people to be sure they are on their own when it comes to the checked bags.

AUA is a pre-clearance market, so you clear customers before you board the plane to BWI.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Do you clear customs in AUA or back at BWI?
Originally Posted by steved5480
... and let me warn you now- get there EARLY and be prepared to STAND and WAIT. It is truly a [redacted], with one line for everybody- US Citizens, Green Card holders, Foriegn Nationals- 'till you get to the end of it.

It's so bad (when I'd returned on a Monday in mid-July the wait was 1.5 hrs) I might not go back 'till they find a way to at least honor GE.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 19, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:58 pm

Dates beyond Aug

When will they open up the dates > Aug. Any ideas?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by harish7447
Welcome to Flyer Talk, where we not only have "ideas", we often have FACTS:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...on-thread.html
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by harish7447
The website says on March 3rd they will open up dates through October 31st
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Maybe they should change their interactive route map to show that the flights aren't really connecting.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
So since the website let me book PIT to AUA, does that mean that they will treat it as a regular through connection? I mean, I didn't do a double step - I just booked it because it was available and I had the points sitting in my account.

I do hope the $15 I paid for the way down (I know there's more on the way back) for taxes is refundable... I expect it to be treated just like the $2.50 I pay on other award tix.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:33 am

The issue for me, pitflyer, is that I don't live in one of those gateway cities, so I have to first fly there and THEN book the flight to AUA. Since you are starting in PIT, you should have a regular itin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.