Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Point formula change = One-time boost in the value of your points stockpile!

Point formula change = One-time boost in the value of your points stockpile!

Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Point formula change = One-time boost in the value of your points stockpile!

Did WN change the formula for earning/redeeming points? I thought you earned and redeemed on the base fare + excise tax? It looks like its showing earning and redeeming only on base fare.

Example:
Base Fare $119.07
+ Excise Taxes $8.93
$128.00
+ Segment Fee $4.00
+ Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
+ Security Fee1 $2.50
Total per Passenger $139.00

$128 is what I thought you'd earn points $128 X 6 = 768 points
but the site is showing 714 points, which is the $119 X 6

Same thing when redeeming points
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
I have no clue what is happening, but I rebooked about 6 one way flights to save around 6k miles.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
Did WN change the formula for earning/redeeming points? I thought you earned and redeemed on the base fare + excise tax? It looks like its showing earning and redeeming only on base fare.

Example:
Base Fare $119.07
+ Excise Taxes $8.93
$128.00
+ Segment Fee $4.00
+ Passenger Facility Charge $4.50
+ Security Fee1 $2.50
Total per Passenger $139.00

$128 is what I thought you'd earn points $128 X 6 = 768 points
but the site is showing 714 points, which is the $119 X 6

Same thing when redeeming points
I'm seeing the same thing - lower earning on new paid fares and lower redemption prices on new points fares. Interestingly, under "My Travel" my existing paid reservations show the higher, previous "est earn" points.

It is probably worth looking at re-faring existing points reservations if the price hasn't changed since they should now require fewer points. ^
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:45 am

There used to be somewhere that said how these fares were calculated and indicated that "some" taxes were included in the fare calculation. I looked for it today and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where that was and if it's still there?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

http://www.rapidrewards101.com/#/knowledge/Earning

How are the points I earn on a flight calculated?

Points earned from flights are calculated using the Base Fare + Excise Tax portion of the advertised fare.

Points Earned on a Wanna Get Away?® Fare
Base Fare ($111.63) + Excise Tax ($8.37) = $120
$120 x 6 Points Per Dollar= 720 Rapid Rewards® Points Earned

Total cost for the ticket is inclusive of additional taxes and fees, including all government excise tax, government segment fee, September 11th Security Fee, and airport passenger facility charges. Points are not earned on these additional taxes and fees.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:48 pm

Thanks Scrooge,

I couldn't find it when I looked and this is a different place than I saw before.
It appears the reported behavior is an anomaly of some kind.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
http://www.rapidrewards101.com/#/knowledge/Earning

How are the points I earn on a flight calculated?

Points earned from flights are calculated using the Base Fare + Excise Tax portion of the advertised fare.

Points Earned on a Wanna Get Away?® Fare
Base Fare ($111.63) + Excise Tax ($8.37) = $120
$120 x 6 Points Per Dollar= 720 Rapid Rewards® Points Earned

Total cost for the ticket is inclusive of additional taxes and fees, including all government excise tax, government segment fee, September 11th Security Fee, and airport passenger facility charges. Points are not earned on these additional taxes and fees.
When I have booked fare using points ( not past credit) I had to pay something like $5 security 9/11 fee......if I recall correctly.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:39 pm

Confirmed. I just booked a points itinerary and the total points charged was 60x Base Fare only (not including excise taxes).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
I have no clue what is happening, but I rebooked about 6 one way flights to save around 6k miles.
Me too. And got a refund on a paid fare. One flight required more points though.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:06 pm

WOW! Thank you for posting this. I have just saved thousands of points from re-faring.

Getting the majority of my points from credit cards, for me it is a nice change.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Looks like there's a difference of ~150 points on a SAN-PHX BS reservation I changed. I should have just changed it at the airport! Doh!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
My flight last Thursday posted at the old earning rate. My flight today posted at the new earning rate, 32 points less (424 vs. 456) for a nonstop $48.90 fare. The change is a wash for new earnings vs. new redemption.

The good news is that this change creates a slight value increase for your stockpile of points if you redeem before the March 31 devaluation. For my cheap flights, I'm seeing a 7% reduction in redemption price. This is half the amount by which my remaining and post-March points will be devalued! And it gives me time to further increase the benefit by redeeming all my existing points prior to March 31.

I suspect that this change was designed to have precisely this effect: a small one-time boost in the value of existing points to take some of the sting out of the March 31 devaluation. If this was intentional, it was very, very clever. I wonder if some middle managers decided to "give Customers the pickle" below the radar of upper management and the finance people.

Last edited by nsx; Jan 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by nsx
The change is a wash for new earnings vs. new redemption.
Maybe on WGA fares it is but on BS fares that 7.5% reduction is a fairly sizable number of points. This is especially true on higher value (i.e. BWI-PHX) BS fares where the reduction is 470 points (940 if an A+ member).

So good for redeeming points, but not so good for earning on BS or AT fares especially for A+ members.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for posting this! I just got 1300 points back on an expensive flight I booked for Memorial Day.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

I suspect that this change was designed to have precisely this effect: a small one-time boost in the value of existing points to take some of the sting out of the March 31 devaluation. If this was intentional, it was very, very clever. I wonder if some middle managers decided to "give Customers the pickle" below the radar of upper management and the finance people.
I suspect this change wasn't designed at all, and is yet another IT glitch, possibly related to back-end changes implemented Sunday night for the schedule extension/international bookings addition.

All information across the site that references points earning and/or redemption still refers to the formula involving base fare plus excise tax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.