FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Current travel situation to Chile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/2052886-current-travel-situation-chile.html)

boerne Jan 10, 2022 11:38 am

DP- 3 out of 4 of us got validated within a day. And, two got their emails Saturday night. So somebody in Chile is working weekends to get these done in the high season. Mine was the only one that took 3 days. Should get QR code tomorrow. And yes eventually we will all get it, except maybe the hermit in the Cathedral in Linz.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...r_Austria.html

boerne Jan 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 33887005)
Sure a mistake to open the land borders. This said, everybody will get Omicron, EVERYBODY.

This link suggests that land arrivals also must have a negative PCR. Also Chile just announced 4th shots are approved for everyone.

https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan/

https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...ot-2022-01-06/

edit= Got QR code on the website 9 hours after approval email.

RetiredATLATC Jan 11, 2022 3:40 pm

Health Insurance Certificate

A little help please, a little out of my comfort zone. First time traveling to South America and have a question about the Health Insurance Certificate that needs to be uploaded for entrance to Chile (traveling in Nov).

I am fully covered by my Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield (retired ATC) but am reading about having to prove I have 30k worth of insurance. Does this have to be a separate policy just for this trip or does my normal health insurance cover me?

Once I get on FT not on my phone I might be able to search better, but the phone search is a little poor.

Thank you

CJ

Eastbay1K Jan 11, 2022 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC (Post 33893528)
A little help please, a little out of my comfort zone. First time traveling to South America and have a question about the Health Insurance Certificate that needs to be uploaded for entrance to Chile (traveling in Nov).

I am fully covered by my Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield (retired ATC) but am reading about having to prove I have 30k worth of insurance. Does this have to be a separate policy just for this trip or does my normal health insurance cover me?

Once I get on FT not on my phone I might be able to search better, but the phone search is a little poor.

Thank you

CJ

It needs to be a policy that covers you outside of the USA. They're pretty cheap.

RetiredATLATC Jan 11, 2022 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 33893841)
It needs to be a policy that covers you outside of the USA. They're pretty cheap.

Thanks. Mine is world-wide so I should be good. Appreciate the information.

Viajero Perpetuo Jan 11, 2022 9:12 pm

You need to ask your insurance for a letter that specifically says it will cover COVID illness costs of at least US $30,000. The airline check-in agent will be looking for that text as well as the paperwork checkers on arrival. It may well be easier to just buy a policy.

RetiredATLATC Jan 12, 2022 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo (Post 33894190)
You need to ask your insurance for a letter that specifically says it will cover COVID illness costs of at least US $30,000. The airline check-in agent will be looking for that text as well as the paperwork checkers on arrival. It may well be easier to just buy a policy.

Thank you, does anyone have any suggestions as to a reputable company.

cheltzel Jan 12, 2022 7:59 am

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC (Post 33894671)
Thank you, does anyone have any suggestions as to a reputable company.

I have used an online agent (aardy.com) in the past. They tend to use Trawick products. We have used them for our last two trips to Africa (where similar covid heath insurance is required). They will generate a coverage certificate that highlights the destination's specific requirements for ease of use.

However, I am sure there are other very reputable online agencies and insurance companies.

Ajm1987 Jan 14, 2022 2:05 pm

Another data point

Just to add my experience in case it helps others... I submitted my identity and vaccine information mid afternoon on the 13th Jan and it was approved by mid afternoon on the 14th Jan. It says in the email the QR code will be available within 24 hours - it is there now but does say "in progress" at the top so perhaps that'll update, although it seems from reading others' experiences above that it works as is. I'll report back on whether it changes, and if not, whether it works regardless after I travel on 21st Jan. Thanks everyone for the info above - it was really helpful.

mcgahat Jan 23, 2022 6:11 am

I am amazed at how various countries are handling entry and the different things they want. A pic of you holding your ID to your chin? Its their country and can do what they want. That is a first for me though.

behuman Jan 26, 2022 1:00 pm

SCL arrival report 25 January 2022

Noon arrival from GRU.

Not very busy, everybody is walking ;). Keep your distances, the Chileans are strict. First a long fast moving line for c19.cl check (including insurance and PCR test printout) - and they are really checking.

Then again walking to get a ticket for the PCR test at an automated kiosk. No line and friendly mouth and double nasal swab.

Empty passport control, very friendly.

Bags at baggage clain off the belt and supervised by helpful staff.

Empty customs control, fill out the form before.

Touch down to taxi 1h10.

Unlikely in Thailand :td: you are not treated like a prisoner but left in "bona fide" complying to the rules. Also you can order all Pisco Sour you want once at your declared address. How bad Thailand :td: looks in that.

Got test results while sleeping at 3 AM and paso de movilidad activated upon waking up.

Santiago is scaring: 99 % of people wearing masks also in parks and my favorite restaurant is closed due to Covid positives in the kitchen brigade.

Doors Closing Jan 28, 2022 10:43 am

I am about to fly to CL today, and looked at my next week's domestic flight with Sky. Although it says check-in is open, when attempting to check in, it gives a message along the lines of "your pase de movilidad" is not active yet and you would have to get a negative pcr at the airport". My question is: how would Sky airlines know my pases de movilidad status? Would this be updated once I am at SCL tomorrow and got the pcr negative results? Is it something that I should expect with my Ltam flight the week afterwards?

A bit amazed the airlines have all this info, or is it the case?

Viajero Perpetuo Jan 28, 2022 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Doors Closing (Post 33943570)
My question is: how would Sky airlines know my pases de movilidad status? Would this be updated once I am at SCL tomorrow and got the pcr negative results? Is it something that I should expect with my Ltam flight the week afterwards?

A bit amazed the airlines have all this info, or is it the case?

Small country, centralized civil registry database, easily connected to the Mobility Pass database which in the case of tourists is via your name and passport number.

The rules allow you to take a domestic flight after leaving COVID test, immigration and customs and your pre-departure negative COVID test will serve to get your boarding pass.

behuman Jan 29, 2022 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo (Post 33943658)
Small country, centralized civil registry database, easily connected to the Mobility Pass database which in the case of tourists is via your name and passport number.

Sounds perfect and transparent but smells "sanitary dictatorship" and does at least in my case not work: When trying to open an autoreporting account, my spouse could do it easily with the passport number and the "clave de registro", but in my case the system did not accept the registration. All attempts to contact the ministry of health were fruitless and I am unable to report for the last five days.

This said both our "paso de movilidad" were and are still enabled, but I can tell you that nobody south of Puerto Montt cares, even not the ferries. For the experience, it is Kafkaesque calling those people even speaking Spanish :td:.

But yes, the on arrival PCR test was free and quick and efficient and people are not racist, but friendly, a big change from nasty little places in Asia like Thailand.

mirceap Jan 30, 2022 5:31 am

Problems with Air France (traveldoc.aero) and Chilean rules

HI! I am just blocked in Paris, not able to get my flight, due to a miscommunication and error in Traveldoc.aero, the website used by Air France to get its data on travel requirements.
I'll describe
A) the problem
B) some possible solutions that I still have to try out.
I welcome any further ideas of what else to do!
-----------

A) THE PROBLEM
The issue regards people who are no longer contagious with COVID (negative self-test/antigen test) but keep getting positive PCR:

- Chilean rules require that for citizens or residents, in order to fly towards Chile, you present
EITHER (a) 1 negative PCR done within 72h of the arrival in Chile
OR (b) 1 positive PCR done within 72h of the arrival in Chile + 1 positive PCR done no earlier than 10 days before the departure date, and no later than 1 month before the departure date.
(the point is, you can recover from COVID and no longer be infectious, and still get positive PCR results, so a wait time of 10 days guarantees that you are ok)

- Traveldoc mentions only (a) and not (b)

- Air France bureaucrats have trouble to go beyond "traveldoc bible" and in my case showing them the Chilean ministry webpage "fronteras protegidas" had no effect. The woman in charge of that flight sent a whatsapp message to Chile to ask what to do, and Chile did not see the message for 3h, therefore I lost my flight. I write this here, in order that people in the same conditions as I know about the problem.

B) SOME POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
Below some helpful data I gathered. Please write me with more things to try if they don't figure below!

They postponed my flight to Wednesday, and I'll try next the following (which are not enough to solve the situation.. ultimately it's up to the bureaucrat at the check-in):
1) will do an antigen test, which will come out negative (PCR tests for RNA, while antigen tests for the virus itself, and those give negative to me)
2) will ask a french doctor to write me a "certificat de retablissement" by hand.
(For citizens that are in the french healthcare system, a positive PCR dating more than 11 days allows automatically to get this certificate, but the website does not work for foreigners. Apparently at the airport they would be ok with this kind of certificate, the woman at the desk said)
3) wrote to the Chilean Consulate by email, to ask if they can send written confirmation of the Chilean rules (showing this to the person at the desk could help them, at the end it's their decision if you can enter the flight or not) Waiting for the response, hopefully before wednesday!

Any more ideas of what to do to convince the people at the desk to let me in, are welcome!
I hope the above helps other people in my same condition.

Cheers, M