FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Current travel situation to Chile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/2052886-current-travel-situation-chile.html)

cheltzel Oct 23, 2022 9:31 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 34702533)
Well, many people today have cellular plans that provide some level of international service. For example, T-Mobile provides me 5GB of international data, per month, in like 180+ countries around the world, plus txt'ing. I can't remember the last time I needed a local SIM. Furthermore, many phones today can support a second eSIM which you can set-up prior to arrival.

Regards

I have T-Mobile with the same roaming package myself. I recently used it in southern Africa and found the roaming package provided marginal coverage in some areas. I had other people with sim cards issued by T-Mobile's roaming partner who had much better voice and data coverage than I did. I have a phone with very robust band support and have used other SIM cards in it with great success, so I don't believe it is related to the phone but the roaming package.

Flying Machine Oct 23, 2022 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 34702987)
I have T-Mobile with the same roaming package myself. I recently used it in southern Africa and found the roaming package provided marginal coverage in some areas. I had other people with sim cards issued by T-Mobile's roaming partner who had much better voice and data coverage than I did. I have a phone with very robust band support and have used other SIM cards in it with great success, so I don't believe it is related to the phone but the roaming package.

T Mobile‘s package that’s included in everyone’s plan without the wide band ( Banda ancha) works extremely well in Argentina and Chile. Gets you hitting the ground running., Especially with Uber, Cabify, Google Maps etc.

flyingcharlie Nov 2, 2022 3:47 am

Originally Posted by aau (Post 34701225)
For those suggesting grabbing an Uber from the airport, how do you have cell service? When I arrived last year I couldn't find a SIM card provider at the airport.

Have you looked into getting an e-sim for your trip? I use Airalo, which gives you 20GB of data for 30 days on the Altoque network in Chile for US$23.

Flying Doctor Nov 2, 2022 4:25 am

Posted in error

smartytravel Nov 2, 2022 9:28 pm

I understand that in order to travel to Chile, it is required to present either a PCR test or a full vaccination.

For an EU citizen who travels to Chile for leisure, how many vaccinations are needed? IATA just says generically "full vaccination" while the website of Chile specifies "full vaccination schedule per country of origin."

How many vaccinations are needed then? What will the airport staff be looking for at an EU airport?

smartytravel Nov 6, 2022 4:47 am

Originally Posted by smartytravel (Post 34728960)
I understand that in order to travel to Chile, it is required to present either a PCR test or a full vaccination.

For an EU citizen who travels to Chile for leisure, how many vaccinations are needed? IATA just says generically "full vaccination" while the website of Chile specifies "full vaccination schedule per country of origin."

How many vaccinations are needed then? What will the airport staff be looking for at an EU airport?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Section 107 Nov 9, 2022 7:58 am

Originally Posted by smartytravel (Post 34728960)

"fully vax'd" most likely = depends on the vax - some require only 1 dose, some require 2 doses. Based on US State Dept website, Chile has approved the following vaccines: "The Chilean government has approved the following vaccines for use: Pfizer-Biontech, Astrazeneca, Sinovac, Cansino, and Sputnik "

smartytravel Nov 9, 2022 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 34745042)
"fully vax'd" most likely = depends on the vax - some require only 1 dose, some require 2 doses. Based on US State Dept website, Chile has approved the following vaccines: "The Chilean government has approved the following vaccines for use: Pfizer-Biontech, Astrazeneca, Sinovac, Cansino, and Sputnik "

Awesome. So we just show our 2 Astrazeneca vaccines, even though the EU "COVID passport" already expired and we should be still fine?

Flying Machine Nov 9, 2022 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 34745042)

Many people have Moderna??

Section 107 Nov 10, 2022 7:22 am

Originally Posted by smartytravel (Post 34745053)
Awesome. So we just show our 2 Astrazeneca vaccines, even though the EU "COVID passport" already expired and we should be still fine?

Theoretically. You should contact the Chilean embassy or consulate in your country to verify if they have any rules about an "expired" COVID passport.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34745211)
Many people have Moderna??

Moderna was very common in the US and I am sure many other places.

Just to avoid any confusion: the list I copied/pasted above of approved vaccines are the vaccines approved by the Chilean government for vaccinations given to people in Chile. It does not mean that if you received a different vax that is not on the list (such as Moderna) that you are not allowed to visit.

smartytravel Nov 10, 2022 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 34747470)
Theoretically. You should contact the Chilean embassy or consulate in your country to verify if they have any rules about an "expired" COVID passport.

i did, and they were most unhelpful. All they said was:

"As the website states, you must provide a vaccination certificate:

Https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan/"

Viajero Perpetuo Nov 10, 2022 11:46 am

I do recall when the Health Ministry under the previous administration published the long text version of each change as a detailed PDF, that PDF did indeed list Moderna, Pfizer, Jansen, Astrazeneca, Sinovac, Cansino, Sputnik, the other Chinese one similar to Sinovac and perhaps a couple more.

Flying Machine Nov 10, 2022 12:03 pm

Perhaps it’s just me. I canceled my Polaris trip to LAX from SCL and my visit with business partners in SCL in favor of staying in EZE one additional week.

Just not a fan from what I’m hearing what’s happening in SCL of late

Viajero Perpetuo Nov 10, 2022 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 34748220)
Perhaps it’s just me. I canceled my Polaris trip to LAX from SCL and my visit with business partners in SCL in favor of staying in EZE one additional week.

Just not a fan from what I’m hearing what’s happening in SCL of late

Don't look at me, I voted against everything that is now causing the deterioration. Pity but I guess every country in the end gets what they voted for and deserve (via not paying attention until it's too late).

Section 107 Nov 11, 2022 6:54 am

Originally Posted by smartytravel (Post 34747643)
i did, and they were most unhelpful. All they said was:

"As the website states, you must provide a vaccination certificate:

Https://www.chile.travel/en/traveltochileplan/"

Well, from that it sounds like they just want a certificate of vaccination, and the EU vax passport certainly is that. You might ask a different Chilean embassy/consulate. Be sure to ask explicitly 1) if the EU vax passport is acceptable proof of vax , and 2) does Chile have any requirements/restrictions regarding when the last vaccination was received (eg, can you enter if your last vax was more than 270 days ago - the "validity" period of the EU cert).

You might verify if Chile accepts your vaccination using this webpage: https://visaguide.world/news/vaccine...ty-for-travel/