Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Current travel situation to Chile

Old Sep 18, 21, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So last January I found a premium economy "mistake fare" on AA from the USA to Chile. I booked it for this coming December, figuring that with the vaccine and such, things would be good by December. Wrong. I had already scrubbed a trip for early 2021 due to Covid.

I see that USA citizens are still not permitted to enter Chile. Is anything happening on that front? And, if the rules do change, would I WANT to visit Chile now? How normal are things? I was planning on spending a little time in the wine regions around Santiago and then heading to Patagonia.

I'd appreciate any insight on all this. Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 21, 10:02 pm

Beginning October 1:

Scroll to page 14.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobcl-prod/...egidas_V05.pdf

As is typical Chile, lots of details have to be worked out and will probably be addressed after the new policy is in effect...

Suerte.
Old Sep 18, 21, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo View Post
Beginning October 1:

Scroll to page 14.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gobcl-prod/...egidas_V05.pdf

As is typical Chile, lots of details have to be worked out and will probably be addressed after the new policy is in effect...

Suerte.
So Americans are supposed to be eligible to enter beginning Oct. 1? Looks like the usual Covid test within 72 hours. Any idea how the medical insurance thing would work? Before the world closed down, I was actually thinking of getting some int'l medical insurance and I recall it wasn't expensive. But my recollection is now hazy.
Old Sep 19, 21, 7:29 am

Beginning October 1, foreigners can enter if they have previously registered their completed COVID shot regimen at mevacuno.cl along with a 72 hour PCR negative test, c19.cl declaration and proof of insurance. For the insurance, ask the company that you need a policy that specifically conforms to Chile's foreign visitor COVID requirements.

On arrival, you will probably receive another PCR test and must quarantine for 5 days within 2 hour distance max from the airport. Only private transportation (airport official taxis are included) can be taken to this home or hotel and one cannot leave it for any reason or receive visitors so the logistics of groceries and meals must be planned in advance (remember most local online delivery services do not work with foreign cards).

After the quarantine, assuming the PCR test was again negative and no other symptoms developed, you can travel to most anywhere as nearly the entire country has advanced out of quarantine and semi-quarantine with a c19.cl declaration for internal travel when traveling between regions. If different comunas fallback into quarantine restrictions, the travel logistics can become complicated.

The authorities will track and communicate with you during the 14 days upon entry and you must answer any communication and take any requested test during that time.

Fines for breaking the rules can run up to CLP 30 million.
Old Sep 19, 21, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Beginning October 1, foreigners can enter if they have previously registered their completed COVID shot regimen at mevacuno.cl along with a 72 hour PCR negative test, c19.cl declaration and proof of insurance. For the insurance, ask the company that you need a policy that specifically conforms to Chile's foreign visitor COVID requirements.

On arrival, you will probably receive another PCR test and must quarantine for 5 days within 2 hour distance max from the airport. Only private transportation (airport official taxis are included) can be taken to this home or hotel and one cannot leave it for any reason or receive visitors so the logistics of groceries and meals must be planned in advance (remember most local online delivery services do not work with foreign cards).

After the quarantine, assuming the PCR test was again negative and no other symptoms developed, you can travel to most anywhere as nearly the entire country has advanced out of quarantine and semi-quarantine with a c19.cl declaration for internal travel when traveling between regions. If different comunas fallback into quarantine restrictions, the travel logistics can become complicated.

The authorities will track and communicate with you during the 14 days upon entry and you must answer any communication and take any requested test during that time.

Fines for breaking the rules can run up to CLP 30 million.
With fines that large, I'm surprised they aren't quoted in UF

Until the mandatory quarantine goes away, Chile will remain a de facto impossibility for tourist travel.

As for insurance, I recently purchased a Travelex policy that covers $50K of medical, including COVID, for well under $100 (one week of travel, nominal trip expense as it is mostly a miles/points trip - and obviously not to Chile).
Old Sep 19, 21, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
With fines that large, I'm surprised they aren't quoted in UF

Until the mandatory quarantine goes away, Chile will remain a de facto impossibility for tourist travel.

As for insurance, I recently purchased a Travelex policy that covers $50K of medical, including COVID, for well under $100 (one week of travel, nominal trip expense as it is mostly a miles/points trip - and obviously not to Chile).
Still a 5-day quarantine? Yikes! I guess I won't be visiting Chile in December. Time to make other plans, I suppose, and see what AA will do for me.
Old Sep 20, 21, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Still a 5-day quarantine? Yikes! I guess I won't be visiting Chile in December. Time to make other plans, I suppose, and see what AA will do for me.
No one can predict the future, but the quarantine may be modified as the months continue into the summer season.
Old Sep 20, 21, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No one can predict the future, but the quarantine may be modified as the months continue into the summer season.
I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I'm in the habit of vacationing in Patagonia in December because the weather and daylight is counter-seasonal to the USA. I can't really duplicate the experience elsewhere but, hey, the world is still messed up.
Old Sep 20, 21, 7:04 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
I was planning a three-day business trip from BsAs. One day in Santiago and two in Iquique.

But it looks like that this sort of trip will have to wait.
Old Sep 23, 21, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Question What does Chile's 5-Day Quarantine Mean?

My wife and I are scheduled to be in Chile for 2 weeks in December. We're both fully vaccinated and understand the testing requirements to enter the country. What we are not certain about are the details of the mandatory 5-day quarantine. We're flying into Santiago and have a hotel reserved in the city. Does the quarantine require that we stay in our room only? May we venture into the hotel's lounge? Hotel restaurant(s)? Other? Also, by December is there any hope that Chile will reduce/eliminate this requirement for fully vaxed folks?
Old Sep 23, 21, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I think you may have more luck posting this in a forum that isn't the Marriott Bonvoy forum.
Old Sep 23, 21, 3:17 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
https://chile.gob.cl/chile/en/ingres...de-el-exterior

TO CONSIDER:

The isolation of the traveler is equivalent to that carried out by positive cases and close contacts (but without a medical license). This means that, during their isolation, the traveler and his co-inhabitants CANNOT:
  • Leave home
  • Leaving the hotel room (in case you voluntarily decide to isolate yourself in a hotel).
  • Receive visits
  • Go for a pet walk
  • Go out to work
  • Attend educational establishments
  • Use the public transport
  • Use a Health passport or mobility pass

That would be a hard no for me, as empty as the W Patagonia route must be.
Old Sep 23, 21, 3:39 pm

Really good question.

Originally Posted by flyupfront View Post
My wife and I are scheduled to be in Chile for 2 weeks in December. We're both fully vaccinated and understand the testing requirements to enter the country. What we are not certain about are the details of the mandatory 5-day quarantine. We're flying into Santiago and have a hotel reserved in the city. Does the quarantine require that we stay in our room only? May we venture into the hotel's lounge? Hotel restaurant(s)? Other? Also, by December is there any hope that Chile will reduce/eliminate this requirement for fully vaxed folks?
We are on a Silversea sailing to Antarctica mid-November. They ( the cruise line) and Chile have made "bubble" rules. We have to stay in hotel room upon arrival to SCL.We are arriving 2 days before the sailing. Bubble bus to chartered flight to Punta Arenas. Bubble bus to ship. Sail to Antarctica, then the bubble in reverse. Lots of testing. Vax only passengers. Crew fully vaxxed. More details to come. As I get, I'll try to post if there is anything new.

Last edited by stan1162; Sep 23, 21 at 3:54 pm
Old Sep 24, 21, 12:12 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Transit SCL?

Booked a US-SCL flight many months ago for early November with the intention of hopping to EZE via SKY same or next day. Does this seem achievable for fully vaxxed flyer (assuming Argentina really opens on 11/1)? I could certainly "quarantine" in/around SCL for a few hours or overnight.
Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Old Oct 8, 21, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Chile to remove quarantine requirement!

This looks like good news!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.afa...-travelers/amp

Search this Thread