FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america-483/)
-   -   Current travel situation to Chile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-america/2052886-current-travel-situation-chile.html)

Viajero Perpetuo Jan 30, 2022 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mirceap (Post 33947963)
OR (b) 1 positive PCR done within 72h of the arrival in Chile + 1 positive PCR done no earlier than 10 days before the departure date, and no later than 1 month before the departure date.

Since check-in agents are stickler for rules, I read the government doc as:

Has to be two RT-PCR positive tests and the timing officially has been up to 72 hours before the direct flight to Chile and more than 10 days (so at least 11 days) and less than a month from that above date.

I do not believe the antigen test and letter will work but do report back.

Also, it is very unclear what happens when entering Chile under those terms. They may insist on a mandatory quarantine the parameters of which they will decide.

Viajero Perpetuo Jan 30, 2022 9:11 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 33946769)
Sounds perfect and transparent but smells "sanitary dictatorship"

Just reporting the facts.

And I am one of the 4 million supposedly Mobility Passless residents and citizens. I cannot take a domestic flight or travel on bus inter-regionally more than 200 km. unless I show a very recent negative PCR test.

mirceap Jan 30, 2022 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo (Post 33948314)
Since check-in agents are stickler for rules, I read the government doc as:

Has to be two RT-PCR positive tests and the timing officially has been up to 72 hours before the direct flight to Chile and more than 10 days (so at least 11 days) and less than a month from that above date..

Unfortunately, Traveldoc.aero is the only thing that they are stickler to, in the case of Air France.
If they had been stickler to the government doc, then I'd be in Chile now, and I'm not.

I'll report back anyway, trying whatever I can to raise the chances. I agree that there's no rational reason that the check-in person should pay attention to any of the rules, but there's also no rational reason that the same person doesn't pay attention to the government webpage, so I try everything jajaja

RustyC Jan 31, 2022 11:09 pm

I'm trying to work my way thru the pre-departure process for a Friday night departure on DL from ATL to SCL. Bought the insurance online with Trawick International for an 11-day trip for $36. Mostly just the medical side at $50K primary, but it was easy to print the "visa letter" and that has the all-important lines about the $50K and Covid being covered.

Have been looking all around at RT-PCR test providers and it's frustrating. Walgreen's and CVS can't guarantee results available quick enough because of that 72-hour window, and those that can might be totally out-of-pocket (want 'em to at least submit it to insurance). There's an urgent care center that's pretty good at it but they're out-of-network. Also not totally sure about the plan for getting tested in Santiago in the 24-hour window before coming back.

Looks like it's a good value with the hotels costs and exchange rate and all that, once the stressful Covid parts are done. Took a home test yesterday for the first time ever and it came out negative.

mirceap Feb 1, 2022 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by mirceap (Post 33949273)
Unfortunately, Traveldoc.aero is the only thing that they are stickler to, in the case of Air France.
If they had been stickler to the government doc, then I'd be in Chile now, and I'm not.

I'll report back anyway, trying whatever I can to raise the chances. I agree that there's no rational reason that the check-in person should pay attention to any of the rules, but there's also no rational reason that the same person doesn't pay attention to the government webpage, so I try everything jajaja

Actually, by writing to Traveldoc.aero, I managed that they now report correctly the Chilean rules now! This is amazing, I didn't think that it would have worked. I'll report tomorrow on whether I have more troubles to get in the flight (my done today PCR is still positive, and I am at 21 days from my first positive PCR)

boerne Feb 2, 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 33953252)
I'm trying to work my way thru the pre-departure process for a Friday night departure on DL from ATL to SCL. Bought the insurance online with Trawick International for an 11-day trip for $36. Mostly just the medical side at $50K primary, but it was easy to print the "visa letter" and that has the all-important lines about the $50K and Covid being covered.

Have been looking all around at RT-PCR test providers and it's frustrating. Walgreen's and CVS can't guarantee results available quick enough because of that 72-hour window, and those that can might be totally out-of-pocket (want 'em to at least submit it to insurance). There's an urgent care center that's pretty good at it but they're out-of-network. Also not totally sure about the plan for getting tested in Santiago in the 24-hour window before coming back.

Looks like it's a good value with the hotels costs and exchange rate and all that, once the stressful Covid parts are done. Took a home test yesterday for the first time ever and it came out negative.

We are DFW-SCL Saturday. Got the QR mobility code. We were scheduled for our PCR by our super great Austin Regional Clinic which does their own PCR tests in house with a turn around of about 2 hours, and billed to insurance, Medicare. We were scheduled for tomorrow at 11 and they just called us to reschedule our tests for Friday due to our winter storm starting tonight. That timing still works because they did a 2 hour PCR turn around for STT 2 weeks ago and BUD a month ago. Also have an annual travel insurance with Geoblue for $460 for 2 through Squaremouth. The Visa letter specifically references Covid etc. Still the process to get in to Chile is harder than the EU, IMO. Cases trending down there, so thats good.

RustyC Feb 5, 2022 4:20 pm

Am in Santiago now...it's 9 hours and counting and still no word on PCR test result. I picked a bad time to arrive (Sat. morning) and SCL was flooded with pax. Took 3 hours to get all the way through. Also some pretty deep swabs from the particular nurse when the time came. Just long line after long line, mostly.

While the 72 hours for the RT-PCR test is tied to departure time for the flight to Chile, the affidavit (declaracion jurada) is not. I had positioning flights in the U.S. so the window was more like 24 hours (the first 24 of the 72) for practical purposes. The expiration on the affidavit is also in DDMMYYYY format, so it's easy to think if it shows 05/02/2022 they mean May 2, not Feb. 5. And the 72-hour window on the affidavit is tied to ARRIVAL time.

Anyway, mine was 10 hours past expiration when checked, so it had to be resubmitted on the fly. Thankfully the person was very helpful (I did my original uploading PDFs rather than attaching cellphone photos). Then on to the hourlong PCR-test line. Immigration and customs were maybe 5 minutes each.

Test still Pendiente after 9 hours and no e-mails from the mevacuno site.

On the bright side, weather is pretty good and the 4-star Hotel Fundador at $36/night near downtown looks to be way above my usual standards.

UPDATE: 13 hours from test time, negativo test result posted to my file on the Bionet site. Nothing yet from gubmint about mobility pass being activated, but that might be because of it being late Saturday night. Looks like they're being slowed by the demand.

boerne Feb 5, 2022 6:24 pm

ok boarding for SCL in an hour. will try to report back our experience. For people worried about PCR tests, check where they are actually run. For instance, Walgreens and CVS in Austin ship theirs out to Quest labs in Dallas and Houston. And Austin is #10 in population in the US. Our Austin regional clinic does theirs in house and we had a 1.5 hour turn around for a PCR yesterday. I found this out by just asking the CVS and Walgreens pharmacist when there. If it has to go in a car or on a plane to get a test run, there will be some serious lag.

boerne Feb 7, 2022 10:23 am

Follow up. Had paper docs checked twice in the US. On arrival to SCL and staying here for a day or 2 you go to the mandatory line for PCR testing. There are in fact 2 lines. At 0900 on Sunday, both lines had about 500-1000 people in them. The 2 lines come to a confluence where gate keepers allow 40-50 through by alternating the lines. Use the toilet on the plane (guys) because the urinals at the mens bano were nonfunctional. Also no where to sit except the floor. 1.5 hours later we made it to the first desks, about 50 or so working, where you have docs checked again. Then into the actual PCR line. You will get an email after the doc check. Then you get a receipt at the next station when you put in your passport number, or other identifier. This receipt is checked then you are assigned a kiosk for your mouth and nose reaming. Same swab, in the mouth then in the nose. Putting on my ICU doc hat, bad technique. Hat off. Then on to immigration and customs. 2:30 hours start to finish for us. On the upside, things are very inexpensive here. we got the all clear at 9 hours. We did not get any sort of mobility pass activation, and we carried our QR codes and negativo results on our phones, but nobody checked.

Zwiebelbauer Feb 9, 2022 3:52 pm

Huh, my vaccination was rejected online?
It says " Reason: It is requested to attach vaccination record card with QR code that contains the data that details the identification of the user, name and dates of the vaccines administered abroad. "

I don't have a QR code, only my CDC card, which I did attach.

FYI took 5 days to be rejected.

kinneyrob Feb 13, 2022 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer (Post 33978292)
Huh, my vaccination was rejected online?
It says " Reason: It is requested to attach vaccination record card with QR code that contains the data that details the identification of the user, name and dates of the vaccines administered abroad. "

I don't have a QR code, only my CDC card, which I did attach.

FYI took 5 days to be rejected.

same thing happened with mine on Feb 10. I just saw it - what have you done to move the ball since? I do not even know what they could mean with the QR code.

RustyC Feb 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Just got back after taking about a 40% full SCL-ATL on Delta. For the test to get back to the U.S. (24-hour window before flight departure), I tried Genosur, which is doing RT-PCR tests with 4-hour turnaround for CLP 25K from their city locations and CLP 30K from the one at the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport. They also have an option for the location near the airport for 40-minute turnaround at CLP 40K.

Importantly, they were open all day Sunday. Just don't expect personalized service. You sign up for an appointment time online (50-100 other people might also have that same slot) and they take your credit card and e-mail info then. That bothered me a bit (paying for something in advance when not familiar with them), but it turned out they were so heavily in demand that it would have slowed down the flow of people in and out.

I picked the Av Vitacura location (walking distance of Tobalba Metro and Costanera center). Arrived about 20 minutes early and it looked lik this when I got there:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...06430c2bb4.jpg
About half of the line outside Genosur on Av Vitacura 2/13

That was about half the number of people, with the other half behind me. Some were locals trying to travel somewhere, while others were from other countries trying to go back.

Anyway, to their credit, they moved people in and out pretty quickly after you got in the door. They opened the 9:40 line at 9:40 sharp and I was in and through the registration desk in less than 5 minutes. Then just another 5 for the swab and that was it. They give a sticker to give to the nurse for the test tube and then e-mail the results as a PDF attachment to the e-mail address you gave them. I had mine in 2 hours after taking the test. It was good to use the city location and be able to enjoy the rest of the day before heading out to the airport.

I know there are other ways for U.S. citizens, like bringing a kit for the telehealth antigen test with you, but the international calling and getting the kit at the last minute were barriers for me (places near me wanted a prescription for the BinaxNow Ag card version, as opposed to the regular ones).

Genosur must be doing very well with all the volume, even though their cost ($32 for me) still compares very favorably with RT-PCRs in the U.S.

Generally speaking, Chile is worse than the U.S. about assuming that everyone has a smartphone and is adept at all the functions...I even saw a report on Chilean TV about how that's causing problems for older Chileans. With restaurant menus the solution should be obvious (one-time use cheap paper menus as backup), but only a few like Castilo Forestal had figured that out. I saw an older couple with phone get up and leave after that didn't work with the QR scan at one place I went to.

On the brighter side, summer in Santiago is delightful, especially in spots like Barrio Lastarria in the evenings. Still quite a place for food, also.

Zwiebelbauer Feb 17, 2022 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by kinneyrob (Post 33988513)
same thing happened with mine on Feb 10. I just saw it - what have you done to move the ball since? I do not even know what they could mean with the QR code.

I resubmitted another photo of it next to my passport with a note explaining the US does not issue QR codes, only the physical CDC cards and they approved it within 24 hours

YYCCL3 Feb 23, 2022 10:39 am

Data point: received validation of identity and vaccination records at MeVacuno in 48 hours from submission. Looking forward to my trip sans the SCL arrival experiences noted above !

aua067 Feb 26, 2022 3:07 am

Hi,
maybe someone had the same situation as me and can give me advice:

My two vaccinations from Austria were approved by Chilean health authorities and I have received my "Pase digital de vacunacion" along with the QR-code for entry.
However now I have a new passport as the old one is going to expire soon. On the Pase digital there is still the old passport number written down.

Now I am thinking of taking both passports with me. The old passport to match the Pase digital de vacunacion and the new passport for the actual entry to Chile.
I have written to the help line of the Registro vacunas for advice but no reply.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for your help.

Michael